The Student Room Group

UKMT and British Olympiads- Personal Statement

Hey guys :smile:

This year my friend applied to oxford.
I applied to Cambridge and she wanted me to look over her personal statement..

The thing is for her first draft.. she included that she had gold in the maths challenge last year and silver in in the BMO1.. and i knew for a fact this wasn't true.

I feel really bad now because I advised her to change it (I really didn't want her to be in an awkward situation at her interview if she got found out ) and so I thought I was helping her, but she hasn't been invited for interview. Am I a bad person?

Would have keeping the 'made up stuff' in her statement given her a greater chance of getting an interview? Is there any way universities can track these awards?
Reply 1
Original post by marinacalder
Hey guys :smile:

This year my friend applied to oxford.
I applied to Cambridge and she wanted me to look over her personal statement..

The thing is for her first draft.. she included that she had gold in the maths challenge last year and silver in in the BMO1.. and i knew for a fact this wasn't true.

I feel really bad now because I advised her to change it (I really didn't want her to be in an awkward situation at her interview if she got found out ) and so I thought I was helping her, but she hasn't been invited for interview. Am I a bad person?

Would have keeping the 'made up stuff' in her statement given her a greater chance of getting an interview? Is there any way universities can track these awards?

Your college would have checked her PS before it has been sent off to ensure the contents are true... so even if you didn't advice your friend to change it your college would still do the same later anyway.

Moreover, I don't think your friend was rejected because of that. It is more likely that her grades/admission test results aren't impressive enough. Unlike Cambridge which interviews loads of applicants, Oxford does use the admission test as a strong filter to eliminate applicants before giving out interviews.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ML8020
Your college would have checked her PS before it has been sent off to ensure the contents are true... so even if you didn't advice your friend to change it your college would still do the same later anyway.

Moreover, I don't think your friend was rejected because of that. It is more likely that her grades/admission test results aren't impressive enough. Unlike Cambridge which interviews loads of applicants, Oxford does use the admission test as a strong filter to eliminate applicants before giving out interviews.

Thank you for your prompt response.
I feel so much better knowing I wasn't the bad egg here :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by marinacalder
Thank you for your prompt response.
I feel so much better knowing I wasn't the bad egg here :smile:

You're welcome.
Remorse is a terrible emotion and it is certainly a relieve to remove it.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending