Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.behindthename.com/

From Elisabet, the Greek form of the Hebrew name Elisheba meaning "God is my oath". In the New Testament this is the name of the mother of John the Baptist. It was also borne by the 12th-century Saint Elizabeth, a daughter of King Andrew II of Hungary who became a Franciscan nun and lived in poverty. It was also the name of a ruling queen of England and an empress of Russia. Famous modern bearers include the British queen Elizabeth II and actress Elizabeth Taylor

not very interesting but i am bored...

ReputationRep:
    NICHOLAS m
    Usage: English, French
    Pronounced: NI-ko-las (English), nee-ko-LA (French)
    From the Greek name Nikolaos which meant "victory of the people" from Greek nike "victory" and laos "people". Saint Nicholas was a 4th-century bishop who, according to legend, saved the daughters of a poor man from lives of prostitution. He is also known as Santa Claus (from Dutch Sinterklaas), the bringer of Christmas presents. He is the patron saint of children, sailors and merchants, and Greece and Russia. Nicholas was also the name of two czars of Russia and five popes.

there ya go!

ReputationRep:
    MICHAEL m
    Usage: English, German, Czech, Biblical
    Pronounced: MIE-kul
    From the Hebrew name Miyka'el which meant "who is like God?". This was the name of one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition and the only one identified as an archangel in the Bible. In the Book of Revelation in the New Testament he is portrayed as the leader of heaven's armies, and thus is considered the patron saint of soldiers. This was also the name of nine Byzantine emperors and a czar of Russia. Other more modern bearers of this name include the 19th-century chemist/physicist Michael Faraday and basketball player Michael Jordan.

ReputationRep:
    omg your father christmas!

ReputationRep:
    MARTYN m
    Usage: Welsh
    Welsh form of MARTIN

MARTIN m
    Usage: English, French, German, Russian, Romanian, Czech, Slovene, Hungarian
    Pronounced: MAHR-tin (English), mar-TEN (French)
    From the Roman name Martinus, which was derived from Martis, the genitive case of the name of the Roman god MARS. Saint Martin of Tours was a 4th-century bishop who is the patron saint of France. According to legend, he came across a cold beggar in the middle of winter so he ripped his cloak in two and gave half of it to the beggar. Five popes have borne this name. Two other influential bearers were Martin Luther, the theologian who began the Protestant Reformation in the 16th century, and more recently Martin Luther King, the American civil rights leader who fought for racial equality.

Hey I'm named after the God of War - how cool is that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Hey I'm named after the God of War - how cool is that.
    well i'm like God - far better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzieb)
    omg your father christmas!
    Oh no! my cover is blown! i must away to lapland!

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm named after the God of War - how cool is that. [/QUOTE]

how cool
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    'leader of the people' and Feminine and Italian form of Nicholas, "victorious among the people."

ReputationRep:
    Means "little red one", derived from Gaelic ruadh "red" combined with a diminutive suffix. This name can also be given in reference to the tree.

ReputationRep:
    everyones name means something cool bit i don't even get one mine is saying, something to do with god. For some reason i have the same name as my mum as well which gets a bit confusing!

ReputationRep:
    GABRIEL m
    Usage: English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, Biblical
    Pronounced: GAY-bree-el (English), ga-bree-EL (French)
    From the Hebrew name Gabriyel which meant "strong man of God". Gabriel is one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition. He appears in both the Old Testament and the New Testament, where he serves as the announcer of the births of John to Zechariah and Jesus to Mary. According to Islamic tradition he was the angel who dictated the Koran to Muhammad.

Strange, I couldn't find 'Copernicus'...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzieb)
    how cool
    Very

ReputationRep:
    Gift from God.

ReputationRep:
    PAWEL m
    Usage: Polish
    Polish form of PAUL

PAUL m
    Usage: English, French, German, Romanian, Biblical
    Pronounced: PAWL, POL (French)
    From the Roman family name Paulus, which meant "small" or "humble" in Latin. Saint Paul was an important leader of the early Christian church, his story told in Acts in the New Testament. He was originally named Saul, but changed his name after converting to Christianity. Most of the epistles in the New Testament were authored by him. This was also the name of six popes. Famous bearers of this name in the art world include Paul Cezanne and Paul Gauguin, both 19th-century impressionist painters from France.

im "small"

i wonder which part of me? (no snide comments please )

ReputationRep:
    "a Germanic name of unknown meaning" Great! It means light though, and my middle name means red. So I guess my name means red light! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    my middle name 'could be related to Greek aikia "torture"'
    great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    "a Germanic name of unknown meaning" Great! It means light though, and my middle name means red. So I guess my name means red light! :rolleyes:
    Now we can't go changing the order - its light red - very stonemany or in your case stonewomany. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Now we can't go changing the order - its light red - very stonemany or in your case stonewomany. :rolleyes:
    Oh But red light is more fun!
    *Points at the sunset and says "Light" "Red"*

ReputationRep:
    well mine says
    usage: english
    pronounced: ay-mee (just incase you didn't know)
    is derived from odl french aimee meaning 'beloved'
    awww well at least my name is loved then

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.