Turn on thread page Beta

what does your name mean? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    After a little research: my first name means, 'defending men', my middle name, 'brave leader' and my surname, 'strength in battle'.

God I'm hard.

ReputationRep:
    ANDREW m
    Usage: English, Biblical
    Pronounced: AN-droo
    From the Greek name Andreas, which derives from aner "man" (genitive andros "of a man"). In the New Testament the apostle Andrew was the brother of the apostle Simon Peter. According to legend he was crucified on an X-shaped cross, and he is the patron saint of Scotland, Russia, and Greece. This was also the name of kings of Hungary.

So my name means I'm a man? Great, thanks for that.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    JUNO f
    Usage: Roman Mythology
    Pronounced: JOO-no
    Meaning unknown. In Roman mythology Juno was the wife of Jupiter and the queen of the heavens. She was the protectress of marriage and women, and was also the goddess of finance.

ReputationRep:
    EVE f
    Usage: English, French, Biblical
    Pronounced: EEV
    From the Hebrew name Chavvah, which was derived from the Hebrew word chavah "to breathe" or the related word chayah "to live". According to the Old Testament Book of Genesis Eve and Adam were the first humans. She gave the forbidden fruit to Adam, causing their expulsion from the Garden of Eden.

ReputationRep:
    Well, i know my username means butterfly jewel in elvish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    From the Hebrew name Chavvah...
    You poor thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndyT)
    You poor thing.
    ta :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Lol, mine isn't in the database.

ReputationRep:
    forget the meanings, mine were pretty boring - but apparently my wrestleing name is Cripple Lady Chyna and my rapper name is Ice Bone Dr-T

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeitgeist)
    NICHOLAS m
    Usage: English, French
    Pronounced: NI-ko-las (English), nee-ko-LA (French)
    From the Greek name Nikolaos which meant "victory of the people" from Greek nike "victory" and laos "people". Saint Nicholas was a 4th-century bishop who, according to legend, saved the daughters of a poor man from lives of prostitution. He is also known as Santa Claus (from Dutch Sinterklaas), the bringer of Christmas presents. He is the patron saint of children, sailors and merchants, and Greece and Russia. Nicholas was also the name of two czars of Russia and five popes.

there ya go!
    Same as, except mine's Nick.

ReputationRep:
    ALICE f
    Usage: English, French
    Pronounced: AL-is (English), a-LEES (French)
    Short form of the Old French Adelais, itself a short form of Adalheidis (see ADELAIDE). This is the name of the heroine of Lewis Carroll's 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland' and 'Through the Looking Glass'.

Oh great, really useful. I know Alice means "noble" and "kind". My middle name means just "girl". And yes, it was chosen to mean that I'm my dad's princess :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    SACHA m,f
    Usage: French
    French form of SASHA

SASHA m,f
    Usage: Russian
    Russian pet form of ALEXANDER or ALEXANDRA

ALEXANDER m
    Usage: English, German, Dutch
    Pronounced: al-eg-ZAN-dur
    From the Greek name Alexandros, which meant "defending men" from Greek alexein "to defend, help" and aner "man" (genitive andros). Alexander the Great, King of Macedon, is the most famous bearer of this name. In the 4th century BC he built a huge empire out of Greece, Egypt, Persia, and parts of India. This was also the name of emperors of Russia, kings of Scotland and Yugoslavia, and eight popes. Also, Sir Alexander MacKenzie was an explorer of the north and west of Canada in the 18th century.

ReputationRep:
    Natalie: Birth (of Christ) . Natality means birth rate. But I didnt need the link to tell me that.

ReputationRep:
    JOSHUA m
    Usage: English, Biblical
    Pronounced: JAH-shu-wa, JAW-shwa
    From the Hebrew name Yehoshua which meant "YAHWEH is salvation". Joshua was one of the twelve spies sent into Canaan by Moses in the Old Testament. After Moses died Joshua succeeded him as leader of the Israelites. The name Jesus was a variant of the name Joshua.

Great. So I'm named after Jesus.

ReputationRep:
    i dont know what neha means. its an indian name and i have no idea!
    some people say it means rain,some people say it means love, and some people say it has something to do with seeing :confused: :confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    RACHEL f
    Usage: English, Jewish, French, German, Biblical
    Pronounced: RAY-chel (English), ra-SHEL (French)
    Means "ewe" in Hebrew. She was the favourite wife of Jacob and the mother of Joseph and Benjamin in the Old Testament.

Ewe= Female sheep incase people didn't know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    RACHEL f
    Usage: English, Jewish, French, German, Biblical
    Pronounced: RAY-chel (English), ra-SHEL (French)
    Means "ewe" in Hebrew. She was the favourite wife of Jacob and the mother of Joseph and Benjamin in the Old Testament.

Ewe= Female sheep incase people didn't know
    my friend is called rachel. doesnt it mean lamb or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    my friend is called rachel. doesnt it mean lamb or something?
    Nope female sheep I have spent ages trying to find an alternative meaning from a reliable source but it always comes out as ewe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Nope female sheep I have spent ages trying to find an alternative meaning from a reliable source but it always comes out as ewe.
    hehe, ok then, i'll have to tell rachel what her name really means
    i dont get how they come up with all these names anyway. apparently sarah means princess! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Cindy translated to CYNTHIA f
    Usage: English, Greek Mythology (Latinized)
    Pronounced: SIN-thee-a
    Latinized form of Greek Kynthia which means "woman from Kynthos". This was an epithet of the Greek moon goddess Artemis, given because Kynthos was the mountain on Delos on which she and her twin brother Apollo were born.

Not bad I suppose

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.