Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Oluwa)Tobi--meaning God is Great in Yoruba.
    Pronounced:toe-be

ReputationRep:
    CALUM m
    Usage: Scottish
    Pronounced: KAL-um
    Scottish form of COLUMBA

COLUMBA m
    Usage: Late Roman
    Pronounced: kah-LUM-ba
    Late Latin name meaning "dove". Saint Columba was a 6th-century Irish monk who established a convent on the island of Iona off the coast of Scotland. He is credited with the conversion of Scotland to Christianity.

So I'm a christian converting scottish-roman dove.

ReputationRep:
    AARON m
    Usage: English, Biblical
    Pronounced: ER-un
    From the Hebrew name Aharon which is most likely of unknown Egyptian origin. Other theories claim a Hebrew derivation, and suggest meanings such as "high mountain" or "exalted". In the Old Testament Aaron was the older brother of Moses and the first high priest of the Israelites.

The pronounciation is wrong for modern day English IMO.

ReputationRep:
    SIMON m
    Usage: English, French, Scandinavian, Hungarian, Slovene, Biblical
    Pronounced: SIE-mun (English), see-MAWN (French)
    From the Greek form of the Hebrew name Shim'on which meant "hearkening" or "listening". The New Testament presents Simon, also known as Peter (a name given to him by Jesus), as the most important of the apostles. This is also the name of several other characters in the Bible, including the man who carried the cross for Jesus.

JAMES m
    Pronounced: JAYMZ
    English form of the Late Latin Jacomus which was derived from Iakobos, the New Testament Greek form of Ya'aqob (see JACOB). In the New Testament James is an important apostle, the brother of the apostle John. According to the Book of Acts he was beheaded by Herod Agrippa. Another James is also mentioned in the Bible as being the brother of Jesus. Kings of England and Scotland have borne this name. Other famous bearers include the inventor of the steam engine James Watt, the explorer Captain James Cook, and the novelist and poet James Joyce.

What? None of my family are very religious! How did I end up with the ,ost religious connected name I know?

ReputationRep:
    SEÁN m
    Usage: Irish
    Pronounced: SHAWN
    Irish form of JOHN

JOHN m
    Pronounced: JAHN
    English form of Johannes, which was the Latin form of the Greek name Ioannes, itself derived from the Hebrew name Yochanan meaning "YAHWEH is gracious". This name owes its consistent popularity to two New Testament characters, both highly revered as saints. The first was John the Baptist, the forerunner of Jesus Christ, who was beheaded by Herod Antipas. The second was the apostle John who was also supposedly the author of the fourth Gospel and Revelation. The name has been borne by 23 popes, as well as kings of England, Hungary, Poland, Portugal and France. It was also borne by the poet John Milton and the philosopher John Locke.

Mine's rubbish

ReputationRep:
    SIAN f
    Usage: Welsh
    Pronounced: SHAN
    Welsh form of JEANNE

It doesn't say much for my name! . And my name isn't pronounced Shan, (even though my old chemistry teacher used to say it like that :rolleyes: )My name isn't that common though really...

editI've found a spot on description :eek: :

Although the name Sian creates the urge to be original and self-reliant, we emphasize that it limits self-expression and friendly congeniality with a moody disposition. This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses heart, lungs, bronchial area, and tension or accidents to the head.
    Your first name of Sian has given you a studious nature, and the ability to concentrate on whatever you are doing. You could excel in mathematics or in positions where persistence, independence, and individuality are required. In personal associations, a lack of finesse in verbal expression often creates misunderstandings with others, especially with those close to you, because you find it difficult and embarrassing to express depth of feeling when situations arise requiring diplomacy, understanding, and affection.

I really can't believe how true that is! Go here to try it

ReputationRep:
    ROBIN m,f
    Usage: English
    Pronounced: RAH-bin
    Pet form of ROBERT. Robin Hood was a legendary hero and archer of medieval England who stole from the rich to give to the poor. This name can also be given in reference to the red-breasted bird.

Looking at the above - I'm just surprised that Batman's sidekick wasn't mentioned. This isn't etymology, this is bullsh*t. Grrr.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    SIAN f
    Pronounced: SHAN
    Welsh form of JEANNE

It doesn't say much for my name! . And my name isn't pronounced Shan, (even though my old chemistry teacher used to say it like that :rolleyes: )My name isn't that common though really...

editI've found a spot on description :eek: :

Although the name Sian creates the urge to be original and self-reliant, we emphasize that it limits self-expression and friendly congeniality with a moody disposition. This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses heart, lungs, bronchial area, and tension or accidents to the head.
    Your first name of Sian has given you a studious nature, and the ability to concentrate on whatever you are doing. You could excel in mathematics or in positions where persistence, independence, and individuality are required. In personal associations, a lack of finesse in verbal expression often creates misunderstandings with others, especially with those close to you, because you find it difficult and embarrassing to express depth of feeling when situations arise requiring diplomacy, understanding, and affection.

I really can't believe how true that is! Go here to try it
    That's quite weird - I was sceptical as usually these things are just general descriptions which could apply to anyone, but mine, especially from the second sentence (the first is fairly general) is pretty much spot on-

Your first name of Calum creates a dual nature for you desire to systematize your life to progress step by step, but so frequently, you are taken into new experiences, instability, and change. You are intrigued by a challenge, especially in mechanical and technical fields. Scientific concepts appeal to you. You like activities that require physical effort as well as mental ingenuity. Your questioning, critical, practical nature makes you prove all ideas to your own satisfaction, rarely accepting anyone's word or ideas.

ReputationRep:
    HAYLEY f
    Pronounced: HAY-lee
    From a surname which was originally derived from the name of a town in England (meaning "hay clearing" from Old English heg "hay" and leah "clearing").

...hence my old nickname 'Hayfield'

Hmm..

ReputationRep:
    ABIGAIL f
    Usage: English, German, Biblical
    Pronounced: AB-i-gayl
    From the Hebrew name Avigayil meaning "my father is joy". This was the name of a wife of king David in the Old Testament.

Mine's a really short description

ReputationRep:
    KATE f
    Pronounced: KAYT
    Short form of KATHERINE. This is the name of the woman who Petruchio marries and tries to tame in Shakespeare's comedy 'The Taming of the Shrew'.

Which leads us on to...

KATHERINE f
    Pronounced: KATH-u-rin, KATH-rin
    From the Greek name Aikaterine. The etymology is debated: it could derive from the earlier Greek name Hekaterine, which came from hekateros "each of the two"; it could derive from the name of the goddess HECATE; it could be related to Greek aikia "torture"; or it could be from a Coptic name meaning "my consecration of your name". The Romans falsely derived it from Greek katharos "pure" and changed their spelling from Katerina to Katharina to reflect this. The name belonged to a 4th-century saint and martyr from Alexandria who was tortured on the famous Catherine wheel. This name was also borne by two empresses of Russia, including Catherine the Great, and by three of Henry VIII's wives.

Torture.. sounds like me *smiles evilly*

ReputationRep:
    OBI m
    Usage: African
    Means "heart" in Igbo.

WAN was not found in this database. Names that sound similar to WAN:
    WAYNE (m) WIM (m) WYN (m) WYNN (m) WYNNE (m,f)

KENOBI was not found in this database. Names that sound similar to KENOBI:
    KEMP (m)

ReputationRep:
    PAUL m
    Usage: English, French, German, Romanian, Biblical
    Pronounced: PAWL, POL (French)
    From the Roman family name Paulus, which meant "small" or "humble" in Latin. Saint Paul was an important leader of the early Christian church, his story told in Acts in the New Testament. He was originally named Saul, but changed his name after converting to Christianity. Most of the epistles in the New Testament were authored by him. This was also the name of six popes. Famous bearers of this name in the art world include Paul Cezanne and Paul Gauguin, both 19th-century impressionist painters from France.

I am humble, quiet but not small. I am big all over. If you don't believe me I will cry...

ReputationRep:
    AMY f
    Pronounced: AY-mee
    Derived from Old French aimée meaning "beloved

ReputationRep:
    My name cannot be found on this website. Although I do know about 2 other people with my name and they spell it exactly the same as I do.

Anyway my middle name is the "feminine pet form of ANTOINE. This name was borne by Marie Antoinette, the queen of France during the French Revolution. She was executed by guillotine." This really brightens my day.

ReputationRep:
    HUW m
    Welsh form of HUGH

ReputationRep:
    OLIVIA f
    Usage: English, Italian, Spanish, German
    Pronounced: o-LIV-ee-a
    Feminine form of OLIVER. This is a character in Shakespeare's comedy 'Twelfth Night', a noblewoman who is wooed by Duke Orsino but instead falls in love with his messenger Cesario.
    Ahhhh! english lit memories...

ReputationRep:
    Here's mine

STEPHEN m
    Pronounced: STEEV-en, STEF-en
    From the Greek name Stephanos which means "crown". Saint Stephen was an early Christian martyr who was stoned to death, as told in Acts in the New Testament. Another Saint Stephen is the patron saint of Hungary, the first Christian king of that country (10th century). As well, this was the name of kings of England, Serbia, and Poland and ten popes. More recently it is borne by the British physicist Stephen Hawking and the American author Stephen King.

ReputationRep:
    Musicboy is from two words: Music and Boy

Music means the art of arranging sounds in time so as to produce a continuous, unified, and evocative composition, as through melody, harmony, rhythm, and timbre.

Boy means a male child. - I'm sure you can work out the rest.

I get the feeling that I've slightly missed the point of this thread.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    Persian is arabic.
    no its not...different races. Arabic and Hebrew come from Aramic, which is semetic. Persian is Aryan

Most of the names such as michael, rachel arent actually hebrew, theyre aramic. even jesus original name is aramic not hebrew...anyway.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.