jl54321
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
PLEASE HELP!!!! I have offers from Brum and Durham for sport science and I'm completely torn.

Course titles:
Durham - Sport, Exercise and Physical Activity
Birmingham - Sport, Physical Education and Coaching Sciences.

Any info/tips/pointers on either uni or both is very welcome!!!
MrsSheldonCooper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is it bad if I'm genuinely shocked Durham do Sports Science?
jl54321
Rep:
?
(Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
Is it bad if I'm genuinely shocked Durham do Sports Science?
Not bad.
Offensive...maybe! Haha.

It's a shame really. Sport science has a bad reputation as being a silly and soft degree. At the best Unis, like Durham, Birmingham, Loughborough, Exeter and Leeds its a difficult and intense course that requires high entry requirements.

Why does it shock you?
MrsSheldonCooper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jl54321)
Not bad.
Offensive...maybe! Haha.

It's a shame really. Sport science has a bad reputation as being a silly and soft degree. At the best Unis, like Durham, Birmingham, Loughborough, Exeter and Leeds its a difficult and intense course that requires high entry requirements.

Why does it shock you?
Didn't mean to offend I'm just shocked because I saw Durham as a "traditional uni". Isn't Sports Science a fairly modern degree?
jl54321
Rep:
?
(Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
Didn't mean to offend I'm just shocked because I saw Durham as a "traditional uni". Isn't Sports Science a fairly modern degree?
I wouldn't say its a particularly modern degree. We've needed physiotherapists/sports rehabilitation/ PE teachers etc for a very long time!

And haha I was only joking...No offence taken.
jl54321
Rep:
?
(Original post by sammy2012)
Hello!
I've applied for sports and exercise science at:
Bath (msci-offer)
Leeds (msci-offer)
Exeter (msci)
Loughborough (bsci- offer)
Surrey (bsci- offer)

I almost applied to Birmingham! However didn't go in the end because they only allow a 'study abroad' for very few lucky students as opposed to a work placement. All my chosen universities have a placement year and it just puts you on top of everyone else, after all, sports science is the 4th most popular degree in the U.K, Hence why I am doing a masters too. They also frequently ask you back after the completion of your degree.

I'm from durham- if you have any questions about life there just ask!

Good luck!
Thanks so much. I also applied to Bath and hold an offer from them. I would definitely love to do a year abroad, so perhaps I should reconsider Birmingham if they are selective about this?
jl54321
Rep:
?
(Original post by sammy2012)
Hi again,

Just remember this is a STUDY ABROAD as opposed to a working placement. In my eyes, I don't see it as benificial as most ask for you back after university in a placement. Also it puts you above a lot of people in terms of work experience. And again, only a few people can go on a study abroad year in the year group.
Not to put you off or anything!

My firm is bath and insurance is Leeds. Bath has more placements available than students. You are guaranteed a placement year if you choose to do so. This is exceptional as most universities only allow you to apply for a few (Leeds only let's you apply for 7) and if you don't get offered one, you don't get a placement year. And let me tell you... a lot of people apply; you are likely to be rejected.
I really recommend doing a placement year than a study abroad, especially as you hold an offer from bath. You are more guaranteed one, and gives you work experience in a specific field you wouldn't get in a study abroad year. You can do your placement year abroad at bath if you want to as well

In terms of durham, they do a different course to what I have applied for. I supposed it's not as 'scientific' than a sports science degree judging from the title, but I live here so hence why I didn't apply there!

Hope that helps
Hi. thanks a lot for your response. I want to become a PE teacher, so the courses I've applied for aren't actually "sport science". At Durham it is the one you've mentioned, and at Birmingham its not sport and exercise science, it is sport, physical education and coaching sciences.
Ibrahmistrar
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jl54321)
Thanks so much. I also applied to Bath and hold an offer from them. I would definitely love to do a year abroad, so perhaps I should reconsider Birmingham if they are selective about this?
Interview?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
9.09%
I need help researching courses (2)
6.06%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
9.09%
I need help with my personal statement (15)
45.45%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (7)
21.21%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
3.03%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (2)
6.06%

Watched Threads