The Student Room Group

My sister has been giving me the silent treatment for a year - now it's Xmas. Help!

tl:dr My sister tried to kick me out of my bed so she could sleep in it with her boyfriend, then she has been giving me the silent treatment for nearly a year because I stood up to her. Now it's Xmas and I have to spend time with her - how do I deal?

Hi guys. Long story short, I've never really gotten on with my sister. I think she's spoiled, selfish and rude but I tolerate her for the sake of our family. Anyway, she's recently had some mental health problems and took some time off work to do a masters degree. During this time she's been more and more bossy and expects us all to run around after her and do whatever she tells us to do.

In February, I had just come back from holiday in Malaga. I was exhausted. My sister then asked me if she and her boyfriend could sleep in my bed and could I sleep somewhere else for the night. Bear in mind, our house has several bedrooms with spare beds. They wanted me to move out of my room so that they could sleep together in it (it's the only other double).

I said no. My sister completely lost her temper because of this, called me a slut in front of others and brought up some stuff from way back when I slept in her bed with my ex-boyfriend (bear in mind my sister wasn't even living in the property at the time I did this, let alone trying to get a good night's sleep in that bed). I was absolutely furious that she was trying to slut shame me because I didn't do what she said and I responded angrily.

Since February, my sister has given me the silent treatment. We don't live in our parents house anymore but at family gatherings, she refuses to say hello or even acknowledge me. She will respond to everyone else except me and if I say anything to her, she just ignores it. I am so exasperated now as it's been almost a year. As far as I'm concerned, I have done nothing wrong - she is the one who was being unreasonable as usual. It's now coming up to Christmas and I'm going to have to spend the whole day with her at my parents house which I am dreading because it's going to be awkward and it upsets me to be around someone who ignores me like that.

I've tried to speak to my parents about it but they seem to take her side and say 'you know what she's like, you hurt her feelings, she'll get over it'. To me, this isn't good enough - no one has acknowledged that I didn't do anything wrong in the first place. I'm seriously considering skipping family Christmas altogether as I just don't want the drama. Any advice would be great.
Original post by Anonymous
tl:dr My sister tried to kick me out of my bed so she could sleep in it with her boyfriend, then she has been giving me the silent treatment for nearly a year because I stood up to her. Now it's Xmas and I have to spend time with her - how do I deal?

Hi guys. Long story short, I've never really gotten on with my sister. I think she's spoiled, selfish and rude but I tolerate her for the sake of our family. Anyway, she's recently had some mental health problems and took some time off work to do a masters degree. During this time she's been more and more bossy and expects us all to run around after her and do whatever she tells us to do.

In February, I had just come back from holiday in Malaga. I was exhausted. My sister then asked me if she and her boyfriend could sleep in my bed and could I sleep somewhere else for the night. Bear in mind, our house has several bedrooms with spare beds. They wanted me to move out of my room so that they could sleep together in it (it's the only other double).

I said no. My sister completely lost her temper because of this, called me a slut in front of others and brought up some stuff from way back when I slept in her bed with my ex-boyfriend (bear in mind my sister wasn't even living in the property at the time I did this, let alone trying to get a good night's sleep in that bed). I was absolutely furious that she was trying to slut shame me because I didn't do what she said and I responded angrily.

Since February, my sister has given me the silent treatment. We don't live in our parents house anymore but at family gatherings, she refuses to say hello or even acknowledge me. She will respond to everyone else except me and if I say anything to her, she just ignores it. I am so exasperated now as it's been almost a year. As far as I'm concerned, I have done nothing wrong - she is the one who was being unreasonable as usual. It's now coming up to Christmas and I'm going to have to spend the whole day with her at my parents house which I am dreading because it's going to be awkward and it upsets me to be around someone who ignores me like that.

I've tried to speak to my parents about it but they seem to take her side and say 'you know what she's like, you hurt her feelings, she'll get over it'. To me, this isn't good enough - no one has acknowledged that I didn't do anything wrong in the first place. I'm seriously considering skipping family Christmas altogether as I just don't want the drama. Any advice would be great.

Don't ****ing that little mofo every milli-dam-metre of the way. I have the worst chem teacher and i'm fighting him and have beef with him over his **** methods, now i've stood up and complained and stood and taken his bs i can't anymore i wanna get a good grade which i need for uni if it carried on he'd have made me fail and i wouldn't ever reach my offer, do something.

Again, no if it's fairly reasonable then sure do it but if she can easily do it yourself then no don't do it. However if let's say she asks you to pass her a tissue and u are closer to the tissues than she is, do it, it's pointless arguing over something as small as that, yes it's unbearable but you must put up with it. If however she asks you to take her clothes down to the washing machine don't do it, it's her stuff she's perfectly capable of doing it herself.

No, refuse, it's your bed and you have a right to it. If she comes out with the well u never paid for it bs i'm pretty sure she never paid for hers, in case if she did then she can use hers, it's not her right to go into YOUR room and use YOUR bed. No don't stand for it, she can use another one with her BF.

If that's the best she can come up with she's pathetic, she's tryna take you out from below and all u have to do is step on her because you got the high ground. You might feel as if it hurts but what about you, why does only her matter? **** that bs she can bend her paenus up into her own butt, sack it if she thinks she can hurts you because she doesn't get what she wants what a loser of a person. From what you say if she wasn't even living in the property then meh, why does she even have a right to go into the house? Unless she previously left the house to go to uni or whatever and came back which is a different story.

Hmm, you seem to care what she thinks of you. Don't why would you respect anyone who's this much of a ****head to you, using other people for her own needs? The world needs less plebians like her. What a lowlife idiot, she think she can use u and others to her advantage. No you ain't gonna stand for it.

WELL THAT'S it you've done nothing wrong it's all her no need to worry OP, she's wrong so forget about her bs ignoring you she's just a ****, don't even bother tryna gain respect from a **** it's never gonna work out and she's just gonna be a waste of time and space. It ain't awkward unless u make it, do what you want to do and have a plan that won't involve needing to talk to her at all.

HAHAHAHAHA THAT'S DAM FUNNY, BECAUSE YOUR PARENTS DON'T EVEN THINK SHE'S RIGHT THEY JUST THINK SHE'S JUST A STUCK UP PRISSY LITTLE *****. No-one cares about her, leave her be and let her ruin her own life with her ****ty attitude and personality and watch her crash and burn in hell. Her feelings don't matter when she's being a ****head to you, you try and hurt the other as much as possible until one concedes. PFFFTTTT what a weak peasant, can't even take a little no from her sibling well that shows what kinda person she is then, a shallow idiot. Maybe it's bias. Or your sister got her word in first and said you didn't let her get what she want so you're wrong which is an stupid little ****s answer. Just skip it fam, move on you don't need more idiots and fools like that in your life, forget she is family that's the only thing(probably) holding you back if she wasn't a family member you'd be fighting back and just standing your own ground even more so, so why should there be a huge difference? If my siblings were like that i wouldn't even think twice to ignore them and just not care what happens to them anymore, cut all ties.
She sounds like a *****

Just desensitise yourself to her

When you see her instead of feeling anger or resentment - try to feel nothing

Spend christmas with your family and make sure you let them know how much you appreciate them

I feel sorry for you because my sister is my best friend and it must be awful to not have a good bond with your sibling:frown:

I would say try and be the bigger person and apologise, BUT I have too much pride to give this advice and I also think you are right
Reply 3
It's not Christmas. It's November.
Reply 4
Its December next week, actually. Definitely time to be worrying about Christmas.
So you want to be on better terms with your sister. The longer this sort of stand off goes on the worse it is.

In the big scheme of things it is ridiculous to let an argument like this ruin a family relationship. It really does not matter who was right or wrong. You need to disarm her so it is impossible for this to be carried on.

Next time you see her - go right upto her and kiss her. Say 'I should never have upset you like that - I want to be friends again'. You are saying you don't want her to be upset. That's right isn't it? And you don't want to be upset ( like you are now) either.

Be as charming as you can - no reacting to anything she says. Just repeat that you love her.

I've known people who haven't spoken to their sister for decades because of some sort of similar quarrel. It doesn't make either party happy at all. My own aunts used to tell each other off, tell each other what to do etc etc. but you know it never affected their real affection for each other. In the end in a crisis they all stood together and looked after each other. This is what you should be aiming for.
Reply 6
Original post by pickup
So you want to be on better terms with your sister. The longer this sort of stand off goes on the worse it is.

In the big scheme of things it is ridiculous to let an argument like this ruin a family relationship. It really does not matter who was right or wrong. You need to disarm her so it is impossible for this to be carried on.

Next time you see her - go right upto her and kiss her. Say 'I should never have upset you like that - I want to be friends again'. You are saying you don't want her to be upset. That's right isn't it? And you don't want to be upset ( like you are now) either.

Be as charming as you can - no reacting to anything she says. Just repeat that you love her.

I've known people who haven't spoken to their sister for decades because of some sort of similar quarrel. It doesn't make either party happy at all. My own aunts used to tell each other off, tell each other what to do etc etc. but you know it never affected their real affection for each other. In the end in a crisis they all stood together and looked after each other. This is what you should be aiming for.

Yes I agree this is ridiculous. However I started speaking to her again immediately after this all happened. She is the one who won't Respond to anything I say. This isn't the first time this has happened - she has given me the silent treatment for a year before when we actually lived together! I really resent having to apologise as it teaches her that she can control people by doing this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending