Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Packing for Uni-How long does it take? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    i toook ages to pack....about 2 weeks...i think its to do with being a girl and being alowed to take limited stuff.

love Katy ***
    :eek: what do you mean by 'limited stuff'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    Only 25 suitcases!!! Hehehe!!

Sorry, i apologise, no offense intended!! Just having a laugh!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)

well, me being only allowed to take one car...and having a wardrobe that would quite happyily fill the car...and fit nothing else in.

its hard trying to decide what to leave behind rather than decide what to take.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    took me about 3 hours to pack for uni. Just chuck stuff in crates/suitcases and away you go.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest it dose take far longer than you could ever imagine. although i found it worse clearing my room in the summer to come back home. It did probably take me 2 half days and a whole day to get everything packed and cleaned.The easist way is to get organised early and have things packed up liked mugs toaster etc that you don't really need and then get your washing organised erly and lay out all the clothes you want to take somewhere then you jsut have to shove them in bags or a suitcase. it was really funny last year cos i live opposite my mate and we were leacing for uni on the same day. I was all packed with everything in boxes the night before and i jsut needed to take it to teh car... very unstressful. ON the other hand she was still trying to pack as she loaded the car, she had packed too much and couldn'yt get it in the car, she tehn had to unpack and start again while her dad went nuts.

ReputationRep:
    To go to uni I went shopping a few times to buy kitchen stuff, stationary, loads of shampoo/conditioner/bathroom stuff etc, but that can be done before you go on holiday. I didn't take more than a day to pack all my stuff up to take with me, took an hour to get it all in the car so not really that long. She has plently of time provided she's fairly organised - if she's catered then she doesn't need much kitchen stuff at all, and it hardly takes long to pack up some suitcases full of clothes (I decided which clothes to take on the basis of which still fitted me and which didn't). I bought all new stationary stuff, so that stayed in the bags it was in and got chucked in the car, bed linin and towels went in a suitcase, TV and stereo went in a box, then all that was left was random bits that I wanted to take like fairy lights/books/camera/make up that didn't take up much space. I hate packing though, so got it over and done with as quick as possible (and managed to forget surprisingly little!).

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, when it comes down to the domestic stuff you might be better just taking a credit-card! Its easier to see what fits and buy stuff from the woolworths or whatever nearest to your uni town/city

Blokes shouldn't take too many clothes as the more clothes you have the less laundry you have to do, the nastier your room smells.

Every single person seems to take a clothes-horse. My student house last year had 4 of the things, none were ever used.

If you are living in Uni accomodation, then they will send you a list of what is provided and, more importantly what is not permitted. Anything with a heating element except hair-dryers and kettles seem to be banned as a matter of course, as are fairy lights etc. So generally no hair curlers/straighteners etc or toasters in rooms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    To be honest, when it comes down to the domestic stuff you might be better just taking a credit-card! Its easier to see what fits and buy stuff from the woolworths or whatever nearest to your uni town/city

Blokes shouldn't take too many clothes as the more clothes you have the less laundry you have to do, the nastier your room smells.

Every single person seems to take a clothes-horse. My student house last year had 4 of the things, none were ever used.

If you are living in Uni accomodation, then they will send you a list of what is provided and, more importantly what is not permitted. Anything with a heating element except hair-dryers and kettles seem to be banned as a matter of course, as are fairy lights etc. So generally no hair curlers/straighteners etc or toasters in rooms.

no hair straighteners? nooooooooooooooo!

ok, over that, does everyone obey that rule?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylia)

Doubt it!! lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylia)

I can't believe it either... I can't survive without mine! But what they don't know wont hurt them because I'm taking mine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    I can't believe it either... I can't survive without mine! But what they don't know wont hurt them because I'm taking mine!
    You will be fine taking things like that, as long as nothing bad happens. If you leave them on a pile of paperwork that catches fire, you *will* be thrown out of uni and sued for the repair costs, as the fire insurance won't pay out.

The other thing to watch for is overloading your circuits. Many older halls, were built before everyone had a PC, HiFi, etc. Heating elements use a lot of electricity, and they may trip the circuit breaker to your block.

The cynic in me thinks the rules are just to minimize their electricity bill though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylia)

No not everyone obeys that rule, and to be fair it's not even policed.

There's supposed to be no mini fridges and the likes - the cleaning staff never stop anyone, unless it's the supervisor, at which time the cleaners have to look like they're doing their jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    You will be fine taking things like that, as long as nothing bad happens. If you leave them on a pile of paperwork that catches fire, you *will* be thrown out of uni and sued for the repair costs, as the fire insurance won't pay out.
    That's okay I'll be extra careful anything to keep my hair straightner with me! I can't bear being parted with it.

I also won't leave any dirty mouldy plates/cups/food under a cupboard for the next occupant. *Reminded of the room in UCL*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)

I also won't leave any dirty mouldy plates/cups/food under a cupboard for the next occupant. *Reminded of the room in UCL*
    Nice! Sounds like I'll be packing my straighteners after all then *disaster over*.

Would they be able to pinpoint who it was if you trip the circuit breaker?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps a gas cylinder straightner then with batteries?they dont have plugs so surely couldnt overload circuits.

I have to say Durham doesnt seem to like u taking much. I wanted to cover my walls in my art and paintings but apparenetely u cant put stuff on the walls!

ReputationRep:
    i didn't realise their were any restrictions on what you could bring? i thought lots of people bought fairy lights, hair straighteners, mini fridges, etc.? ooh - maybe i need to rethink the removal van full of stuff!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minx)
    i didn't realise their were any restrictions on what you could bring? i thought lots of people bought fairy lights, hair straighteners, mini fridges, etc.? ooh - maybe i need to rethink the removal van full of stuff!!!!
    Check with your uni first, lots of them have different policies on what you can bring and what you can't. Even if somethings banned officially you may want to ask students about it on open days - often you can get away with things on the banned list if you're careful.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.