The Student Room Group

Mature student post 2017 nursing (adult) uni applications

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at applying to university after 2017. I'm currently a HCA at a GP practice studying for NVQ level 3 in healthcare diploma.

Just a brief history. I finished senior school in 2010 and have been in a GP/healthcare background since then and eventually applied for HCA training within my workplace. Now, following this I started my NVQ. I didn't really do very well at school, only getting D's in maths and English and a C i science.

From other people's experiences with applying for universities, has anybody been in the same position without the requested GCSE's applied for uni (successfully) based on later qualifications (diplomas/NVQ's) and work background alone?

Any answers would be grateful.
I think for Nursing that all universities want GCSE maths and English, it's a basic requirement. Many students didn't do well at school, hence then doing the Access course, but they still had the English and maths. You can always take those exams now?
Reply 2
Original post by Ryanfeeney
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at applying to university after 2017. I'm currently a HCA at a GP practice studying for NVQ level 3 in healthcare diploma.

Just a brief history. I finished senior school in 2010 and have been in a GP/healthcare background since then and eventually applied for HCA training within my workplace. Now, following this I started my NVQ. I didn't really do very well at school, only getting D's in maths and English and a C i science.

From other people's experiences with applying for universities, has anybody been in the same position without the requested GCSE's applied for uni (successfully) based on later qualifications (diplomas/NVQ's) and work background alone?

Any answers would be grateful.

Ive recently had to retake a Maths GCSE to get on a Radiography degree starting in April. I think Maths and English are a must have for the Heathcare Disciplines. (im assuming thats where your interest lies). I was lucky in that I have a degree already so A Levels or other Level 3 qualifications didnt come into it. However for you Im sure they will do. Id say you are looking at retaking those GCSEs and having do a suitable Access Course. Having said that your work experience will bre a massive advantage in getting offered a place on a related degree if you show the commitment to the study side of things. you will also find the study a lot easier when you know why youre doing it. I did. Failed Maths at 16, got an A at 51! Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending