Suitable A Levels for Law or Eng Lit.?

Watch this thread
catherin.e
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm considering taking English Literature, Spanish and (maybe) Biology for A Level. I know for certain that I would like to do English and Spanish as they are my strongest subjects. I'm torn between doing Law or English Literature at Uni. Or going on to doing Speech Therapy. I feel as though Law would be more beneficial in terms or getting a job in comparasion to taking Literature. (Well, if I was to go into jobs involving Law, of course. I'm still unsure of what I would like to do.) But, I do not know what a law course at Uni would involve (in detail)? Or whether I would enjoy it? I know that specific A Levels are not required to do Law, but I'm not so sure about English Lit.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by catherin.e)
I'm considering taking English Literature, Spanish and (maybe) Biology for A Level. I know for certain that I would like to do English and Spanish as they are my strongest subjects. I'm torn between doing Law or English Literature at Uni. Or going on to doing Speech Therapy. I feel as though Law would be more beneficial in terms or getting a job in comparasion to taking Literature. (Well, if I was to go into jobs involving Law, of course. I'm still unsure of what I would like to do.) But, I do not know what a law course at Uni would involve (in detail)? Or whether I would enjoy it? I know that specific A Levels are not required to do Law, but I'm not so sure about English Lit.
For English literature,English literature is the only compulsory subject it seems Seemingky you d be fine with those subjects for speech therapy too. Have you looked into getting some work experience?
catherin.e
Rep:
(Original post by claireestelle)
For English literature,English literature is the only compulsory subject it seems Seemingky you d be fine with those subjects for speech therapy too. Have you looked into getting some work experience?
I've tried to get work experience at a law firm, but I got turned down from all the firms I applied for. I haven't applied for work experience elsewhere (excluding a school.)
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I've tried to get work experience at a law firm, but I got turned down from all the firms I applied for. I haven't applied for work experience elsewhere (excluding a school.)
All you can do is keep trying really
username2303857
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
what about sociology? that'd be useful for english lit, law and speech therapy perhaps
catherin.e
Rep:
(Original post by claireestelle)
All you can do is keep trying really
I might try to do work experience relating to speech therapy or literature, though
catherin.e
Rep:
(Original post by epage)
what about sociology? that'd be useful for english lit, law and speech therapy perhaps
I haven't actually considered taking sociology, I suppose that would be quite useful. I think you do not need any specific grades or subjects at GCSE to do Sociology? Well, people have told me that, but I am not sure.
username2303857
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I haven't actually considered taking sociology, I suppose that would be quite useful. I think you do not need any specific grades or subjects at GCSE to do Sociology? Well, people have told me that, but I am not sure.
At my school you need a B in an english or a humanity, but it may vary across schools

Its also a relatively easy a-level and I personally think it's very interesting (I also study politics and english lit)
catherin.e
Rep:
(Original post by epage)
At my school you need a B in an english or a humanity, but it may vary across schools

Its also a relatively easy a-level and I personally think it's very interesting (I also study politics and english lit)
Thanks for suggesting Sociology, I might take it!
Anna.Karenina
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
If you want to get into Speech Therapy, definitely take English Language.
catherin.e
Rep:
(Original post by Anna.Karenina)
If you want to get into Speech Therapy, definitely take English Language.
At the sixthform I am applying for, they only offer English Literature and not Language. Would that be a huge problem if I didn't take Language, or is it compulsory?
Anna.Karenina
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
At the sixthform I am applying for, they only offer English Literature and not Language. Would that be a huge problem if I didn't take Language, or is it compulsory?
It's not compulsory - it would just be hugely beneficial for you re knowledge and what kinds of things the course involves.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (72)
16.48%
The paper was reasonable (214)
48.97%
Not feeling great about that exam... (104)
23.8%
It was TERRIBLE (47)
10.76%

Watched Threads