?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Exam board edexcel, i know how to link my arguments together? throughout
Ruthie2267
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Are you asking about linking factors back to the question or linking them to the other factors you're discussing?
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ruthie2267)
Are you asking about linking factors back to the question or linking them to the other factors you're discussing?
Linking them to the other factors I am discussing
Ruthie2267
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
Linking them to the other factors I am discussing
Ok, well in my experience its always best to try and write about your factors in logical order, so have in mind which factors you can link to others right from the start of your essay and obviously have them follow on from each other. I'd suggest using a set structure at the beginning of each paragraph if you can't link very well e.g. state what your factor is and then say something like "As a result of [the factor you've just discussed], [next factor] occurred which also contributed to [whatever the question is about]", because it caused..."

For example, I did the Russian Revolution at AS last year, and one of my essay questions was assessing whether the main cause of the collapse of the Tsarist government was Russia's involvement in WW1.
[imagine this is the starting paragraph in which I've assessed the military failures which were attributed to the Tsar because he decided to go and lead troops at the front and how they led to discontent with the government]
"Another factor that contributed to the collapse of the Tsarist regime was the influence of Alexandra and Rasputin in Russian government. As a result of Tsar Nicholas' decision to lead Russian troops at the front (as has been discussed previously), the corruption of the government at home in Russia also increased. This was because the Tsarina, Alexandra, and Rasputin, a trusted advisor, were left in charge of government business in his absence." And then I'd go on to explain how the influence of those two caused discontent

However my teacher always told me that it doesn't matter if I can't link within an essay so long as I do it in the conclusion... Maybe talk to your teacher about that. So once you've discussed all your factors you basically order them in importance, and discuss how one factor led to the others and that's why that's the most important etc (explaining of course how it led to the others)

I hope that was of some help???? I can be a bit long winded at times so if you don't understand what I've said just tell me and I'll try and explain it better

What topics are you doing in history anyway?
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ruthie2267)
Ok, well in my experience its always best to try and write about your factors in logical order, so have in mind which factors you can link to others right from the start of your essay and obviously have them follow on from each other. I'd suggest using a set structure at the beginning of each paragraph if you can't link very well e.g. state what your factor is and then say something like "As a result of [the factor you've just discussed], [next factor] occurred which also contributed to [whatever the question is about]", because it caused..."

For example, I did the Russian Revolution at AS last year, and one of my essay questions was assessing whether the main cause of the collapse of the Tsarist government was Russia's involvement in WW1.
[imagine this is the starting paragraph in which I've assessed the military failures which were attributed to the Tsar because he decided to go and lead troops at the front and how they led to discontent with the government]
"Another factor that contributed to the collapse of the Tsarist regime was the influence of Alexandra and Rasputin in Russian government. As a result of Tsar Nicholas' decision to lead Russian troops at the front (as has been discussed previously), the corruption of the government at home in Russia also increased. This was because the Tsarina, Alexandra, and Rasputin, a trusted advisor, were left in charge of government business in his absence." And then I'd go on to explain how the influence of those two caused discontent

However my teacher always told me that it doesn't matter if I can't link within an essay so long as I do it in the conclusion... Maybe talk to your teacher about that. So once you've discussed all your factors you basically order them in importance, and discuss how one factor led to the others and that's why that's the most important etc (explaining of course how it led to the others)

I hope that was of some help???? I can be a bit long winded at times so if you don't understand what I've said just tell me and I'll try and explain it better

What topics are you doing in history anyway?
Thank you I already kinda do that saying how one causes another. With order we always have to start with the factor in the question

I do USA1916-90 and South Africa for AS
Ruthie2267
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
Thank you I already kinda do that saying how one causes another. With order we always have to start with the factor in the question

I do USA1916-90 and South Africa for AS
If you already do that then you're already linking your factors together if you want to start with the named factor then dw if there's nothing to link to it - factors won't always link together it's just making sure you do link when you can

Good luck with AS history!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (27)
14.36%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (56)
29.79%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (75)
39.89%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (25)
13.3%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.66%

Watched Threads