eneiciabell
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I can't narrow down the key quotes for each character in An Inspector Calls. Please can someone tell me the important ones which I would have a lot to write about?
Bethhmaii
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
To be honest, there is not really any 'Correct' quotes, it is all down to what the question is. I'd revise about 3-4 quotes for the main characts, and then revise the themes and quotes based around those themes, because more likely there is going to be a question based on themes. You can also get marks for paraphrasing things, so you don't have to remember some of the quotes as long as you can show reference to them. Although still use some quotes.

Here are some of the quotes I revised:

-"I ought to warn you he's an old friend of mine."// Mr Birling to the Inspector// Trying to sound threatening using social class// links to the theme social class.
-"pink and intimate"// Stage directions// creates a cosy homelike setting.
-"young girls should not be exposed to unpleasant and disturbing things"// Gerald// Ironic because they all let Eva smith be exposed to these things.

There are tons of quotes to use, In my advice revise the ones you can talk the most about that link to characters and themes.
I definitely recommend buying the york notes revision guide for an inspector calls and also buying the book itself, going through it and highlighting the key quotes.

Hoped this helped!!
eneiciabell
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Bethhmaii)
To be honest, there is not really any 'Correct' quotes, it is all down to what the question is. I'd revise about 3-4 quotes for the main characts, and then revise the themes and quotes based around those themes, because more likely there is going to be a question based on themes. You can also get marks for paraphrasing things, so you don't have to remember some of the quotes as long as you can show reference to them. Although still use some quotes.

Here are some of the quotes I revised:

-"I ought to warn you he's an old friend of mine."// Mr Birling to the Inspector// Trying to sound threatening using social class// links to the theme social class.
-"pink and intimate"// Stage directions// creates a cosy homelike setting.
-"young girls should not be exposed to unpleasant and disturbing things"// Gerald// Ironic because they all let Eva smith be exposed to these things.

There are tons of quotes to use, In my advice revise the ones you can talk the most about that link to characters and themes.
I definitely recommend buying the york notes revision guide for an inspector calls and also buying the book itself, going through it and highlighting the key quotes.

Hoped this helped!!

Thanks, got a test tomorrow so I shall begin to memoriese these now
S2M
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
"Girls of that Class". Mrs. Birling.
S2M
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
"Unsinkable, absolutely unsinkable". Mr. Birling.
S2M
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
"You're not the kind of father a chap could go to when he's in trouble". Eric Birling.
S2M
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
"I speak as a hard-headed business man". Mr. Birling.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?