The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Original post by Chloe8585
Year 12 prospective medical student- which magazine would be best to get?
A general scientific one e.g. New Scientist or Scientific American
or a medical journal e.g. BMJ or NEJM

Never really liked New Scientist. You don't need to be reading the BMJ or NEJM, they'll be far too complicated and irrelevant.

The Student BMJ is a very good shout and I'd recommend that, plus BBC Health for recent health news.
Original post by Beska
Never really liked New Scientist. You don't need to be reading the BMJ or NEJM, they'll be far too complicated and irrelevant.

The Student BMJ is a very good shout and I'd recommend that, plus BBC Health for recent health news.

What's wrong with New Scientist?
Reply 3
Original post by Chloe8585
What's wrong with New Scientist?

Nothing, loads of people read it. I put it in my personal statement as well. I just don't really like it that much - it's a bit too pop science.
The Guardian provides good coverage of NHS/health issues, but minus the doctor bashing which the BBC is under pressure to join in with.
Reply 5
Well it depends.

PS and interview-wise, I put i read new scientist regularly and also a couple of books, but it wasn't bought up at interview and I'm not sure they care. I think it'd be more useful to spend that time doing a useful extracurricular or volunteering somewhere.

Interest-wise, read whatever you want. New scientist was quite interesting and not that difficult to understand. Avoid medical journals since you will not understand them and will take all week to go through. Learning how to read and analyse journal articles is a skill in itself, which some of my colleagues still really struggle with (and we're in our fourth year here).

What you need to do-wise, read up on some current health issues before your interview and be prepared to talk about it and possibly the state of the NHS. Guardian and BBC is good for that as mentioned above. Student BMJ would be icing on top if you have time.
As said above I'm not sure that panels are particularly interested with the standard battery of: 'New Scientist, Bad Pharma, Trust Me I'm a Junior Doctor' which is not to say that any of them are bad - on the contrary I'd recommend them. But it's rather like how virtually everyone puts that they enjoy reading.

What does matter is that you can convince the panel that you are genuinely interested and have read up on things; and that you are up-to-date with things at large. I would not be surprised if any of the following came up in interview:
Junior Doctors contract - was it ethical/justifiable to strike?
Effect of Brexit on healthcare - can you speculate what problems there may be?
General ethical questions - who should get a liver transplant first, a smoker or a mother?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Beska

Hey, i was looking at subscription to sBMJ. Is it worth it?
Reply 8
Original post by alex3704
Hey, i was looking at subscription to sBMJ. Is it worth it?

Are you applying? If you want something to read it's the most accessible. Not sure how much it is though.
Reply 10
Original post by Beska
Are you applying? If you want something to read it's the most accessible. Not sure how much it is though.

yeah I'm applying atm. it's like £25 a year for the digital only version. Just want to get an idea of how useful it'll be really...
Reply 11
Original post by alex3704
yeah I'm applying atm. it's like £25 a year for the digital only version. Just want to get an idea of how useful it'll be really...

I'd buy it if I were you - it's quite good and written at an appropriate level.

Latest

Trending

Trending