The Student Room Group

catered first year accomodation?

I'm currently applying to uni so i've started thinking about accomodation. Obviously i'm wanting a cheaper option but i've heard rumours that everyone goes for catered accomodation during their first year and i dont want to miss out on the social side by going self catered... Does anyone have any clue how true this is?
thankkkyouu
Which uni are you thinking of? Not sure that many offer fully catered halls anyway...

Personally I'd recommend going self-catered - there is always the option to buy meals at the canteen if you wish, but self-catering is a LOT cheaper and generally more popular among students. If you go for catered halls, it will be more expensive and you will have to stick to their fixed meal times. Also, what if the food is terrible and you realise you signed up for a whole year of it?!

You will make friends wherever you end up though and both options are pretty sociable - obviously if you go fully catered everyone will eat together in the canteen, but if you self-cater you still hang out with each other in the kitchen and usually people end up forming groups who cook and eat together in the evenings :smile:
Reply 2
From my experience (so may differ from uni to uni), being catered means you will have the social side of meeting people in the area where you have lunch/dinner, but it's by no means the main way to meet people.

However, there are usually about 2 hour slots in which you can get your breakfast/lunch/dinner, and there are days you aren't around at those times so miss out! Also, a lot of my catered friends end up buying a ton of snacks!

It does however, reduce the need to cook and shop, so there's pros and cons :smile:
Original post by naomi davies
I'm currently applying to uni so i've started thinking about accomodation. Obviously i'm wanting a cheaper option but i've heard rumours that everyone goes for catered accomodation during their first year and i dont want to miss out on the social side by going self catered... Does anyone have any clue how true this is?
thankkkyouu

It really depends on the uni- as an example I've heard at Nottingham uni the most sociable halls are indeed the catered ones, whilst at UEA where I went all the halls are self catered. You need to ask in the forums of respective unis you are interested in.

Quick Reply

Latest