Biology Coursework 2016/17 Water Uptake

Watch this thread
AAhluwalia12
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi can anyone help me with this and tell me what the questions are and what type of hypothesis i should use.
ePret
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
effect of surface area on water uptake by plants
paper1:
hypothesis, reason
preliminery question
one more normal question i forgot.
paper2:
comparing sources
A new type of question: why were students who did case study 2 felt more confident than students who did case study 1. It was relatively straight forward, u cold see the clear reason from the tables. Casestudy 2 had repeats trial, and means and more range. while case study 1 didn't.
Then it asked about case study 4, which was about breathing in an area compared with the oxygen levels. You could clearly see what was going on.
Last question was on context.
I said that smoking decreases the size of the alveolie so the gas excahnge is lower in the lungs due to smoking. hoever, gas particles diffuse faster than normal.
Both the papers were pretty straight forward.
for hypothese:
the rate of uptake of water depends on the the surface area of the plant tissue.
If u want sources, pm me.
ePret
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
not sure if this is the exact same doe. so be prepared anyway.
AAhluwalia12
Rep:
Hi my context was about Bill and Betty with their plants
ePret
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
u got a picture of the handsheet? please tell me exactly what the context specifies.
AAhluwalia12
Rep:
•Students should investigate theeffect of surface area on the uptake of water by plant or animal tissue.

This is the question
ePret
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
not much difference. Bill yanked the seedlings out, reducing the surface area. Jeez, this is easier than mine. Lol. Triple science or double science.
anyway, by removed the seedlings out, the surface area decreased, so the water uptake by the plants decreased, whereas for betty, they were normal. THEREFore the growth of bill's plants wasnt very fast.
ePret
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
your context is still funny a bit doe.
Anyother resources they gave u, like sheets or example?
AAhluwalia12
Rep:
No thats all they gave. What would you write in the candidate research for the context part and the bit where it asks to relate the investigation to the context.
AAhluwalia12
Rep:
And for this what would you write for the hypothesis
ePret
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
the candidate research sheet doesnt not get marked btw. it contains the notes ur taking into paper 1.
Relating to the experiment,
bill removed the seedlings, reducing surface area, therefore less water uptake by plant. Refer to ur own results for this.
ePret
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
triple science or additional science?
for the candidate research bit, put in removing seedlings and the effect of growth on plants.
AAhluwalia12
Rep:
How shall I reword the context from that powerpoint
ePret
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
effect of removing seedlings from a plant on the growth of the plant.
ask ur teacher for the context doe.
AAhluwalia12
Rep:
The hypothesis i am using is that as the surface area of the roots of the plants increases the water uptake will increase which will help the plant grow better. Could you help me explain that and help me find 2 suitable methods and one good and one bad so i can say which one was more useful and why i picked the one which was useful.
ePret
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
for the hypothesis, if ur not sure say blah blah blah depends on the blah blah blah. use the depend method. And don't say it increases, u don't know that for sure, thats why you're doing the experiment.
AAhluwalia12
Rep:
I know but thats the whole point of the hypothesis isnt it and help me with methods and dont get the blah blah bit
ePret
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
hypothesis:
the uptake of water depends on the surface area of the plant.
methods, look at the last page in ur powerpoint -_-.
AAhluwalia12
Rep:
I know could you please tell me the best 2 out of them to use and why for the 2nd question for paper 1 thx
ePret
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
no.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (18)
19.15%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (32)
34.04%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
5.32%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
2.13%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (9)
9.57%
Reading articles about what steps to take (18)
19.15%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
4.26%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
6.38%

Watched Threads