What car and did you crash ?

Watch this thread
yamborgini
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
OK so i just passed my test about 3 weeks ago, i have a decent job which pays well and have always had my heart set on an Audi A3 S-Line 1.4 TSI 2013+ as a first car. Everyone is telling me to get a rubbish old banger for insurance reasons and to gain road experience. The thing is I've looked at a polo 1.2 R-Line (2012) and its around 1.4k on insurance, a golf 1.4 TSI (2012) which is 1.9k on insurance and an Audi A3 S-Line 1.4 TSI (2013) which was 1.7k on insurance. So i was wondering is it worth getting a nice car as a first one or get a crappy banger ? Did you guys crash your cars or you were fine. Also did you get a nice car or a old banger as your first ?
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Get an "old banger"
Aphala
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Prepare for an insane insurance quote.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I think a lot of people reading threads like these would be surprised at what new drivers consider 'old bangers' now - expectations for a first car seem rather high! An 'old banger' would be something like a V reg Corsa or something. As for the Audis and Volkswagens...jeez.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
1.7k 3 weeks after passing? Are you absolutely sure about that? I just did a quote for myself using that exact model of car and got 4.5k, and I've been driving much longer than you.
yamborgini
Rep:
Yep im positive it was 1.7k, it was with a telematic box though on tesco's insurance. I also had both my parents as named drivers on the car who have never claimed and have been driving for over 30 years
IWMTom
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by yamborgini)
Yep im positive it was 1.7k, it was with a telematic box though on tesco's insurance. I also had both my parents as named drivers on the car who have never claimed and have been driving for over 30 years
How old are you???
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Get a good car, it will be worth it in the long run. I have a Ford fiesta 1.25L 2015 car and it was definitely an investment but should also be very reliable. I got my insurance with Admiral in June for £530 as a 20 year old (passed my test back in Jan 2014) with no no claim bonus - I was very savvy. It helped I put my mum and step dad on and live in a good area
yamborgini
Rep:
Im 18 turning 19 in a weeks time
yamborgini
Rep:
Did you do that multi car insurance with admrial by any chance ? My friend did it, and said it helped him out a lot
cherryred90s
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
Get a good car, it will be worth it in the long run. I have a Ford fiesta 1.25L 2015 car and it was definitely an investment but should also be very reliable. I got my insurance with Admiral in June for £530 as a 20 year old (passed my test back in Jan 2014) with no no claim bonus - I was very savvy. It helped I put my mum and step dad on and live in a good area
That insurance is beautiful. I'm 20 too but my insurance is going to cost £2k
yamborgini
Rep:
Thought id give a quick update.....

I ended up getting a 2014 audi a3 s line 1.4 tfsi on pcp in my name and the finance was fine even though im 18. Insurance wasnt to bad either, it being 1.8k with a black box.

If your 18 and thinking of doing this to, its definitely worth checking out

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2295565
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by yamborgini)
Thought id give a quick update.....

I ended up getting a 2014 audi a3 s line 1.4 tfsi on pcp in my name and the finance was fine even though im 18. Insurance wasnt to bad either, it being 1.8k with a black box.

If your 18 and thinking of doing this to, its definitely worth checking out

Posted from TSR Mobile
How much does that cost you per. month in total? (Finance, Insurance etc.)
yamborgini
Rep:
£250 for the car and £138 for insurance. A full tank if petrol is about £50 and lasts me about 450 miles + (1.4 TFSI).
PTMalewski
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
if you're about to buy a VW or an Audi with 1.4 TSI engine, mind engine oil consumption. After 90k miles it tends to burn quite large amounts of oil. It may be an additional cost. It's a very short life span engine.
username1544121
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
You sure you didnt get your insurance quotes from dodgyinsurance.com?

Posted from TSR Mobile
yamborgini
Rep:
It's got 16k on mileage and i give it back within 4 years so i hope its alright haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
yamborgini
Rep:
Nope compare the market

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads