Help! Marketing Degree - requires B in Maths GCSE but only got a C??

Watch
rosiemoon_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,
I am currently in year 12 and the only degree and career that I am really interested in doing is Marketing. However, when looking up entry requirements for a degree in marketing, all Russell Group and other top unis (which is the type of uni I'm aiming to go to) want a B in Maths GCSE, but I only got a C - I was predicted an A and just missed out on a B. The rest of my GCSE results were - mainly A*s As and a couple of Bs, and in my A levels I should get AAA-AAB.
So here's my question - would I be accepted onto a Marketing degree course at a RG uni without a B in maths GCSE, or should i do a marketing degree at a less reputable uni e.g. Bournemouth, or should I just give up on what I want to do and try to find something else I'd like instead to do at a RG uni, because there's no hope of getting onto the course I want to?
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rosiemoon_)
Hi,
I am currently in year 12 and the only degree and career that I am really interested in doing is Marketing. However, when looking up entry requirements for a degree in marketing, all Russell Group and other top unis (which is the type of uni I'm aiming to go to) want a B in Maths GCSE, but I only got a C - I was predicted an A and just missed out on a B. The rest of my GCSE results were - mainly A*s As and a couple of Bs, and in my A levels I should get AAA-AAB.
So here's my question - would I be accepted onto a Marketing degree course at a RG uni without a B in maths GCSE, or should i do a marketing degree at a less reputable uni e.g. Bournemouth, or should I just give up on what I want to do and try to find something else I'd like instead to do at a RG uni, because there's no hope of getting onto the course I want to?
Universities aren't lienient when it comes to gcse grades so you shouldn't waste a choice doing so. A university being in the RG isn't everything (but it seems you feel that way? . Look into universities with requirements you can get into with your gcse grades,you might find one that makes you just as happy.
DiscreetBinger
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Some unis use the gcse requirements as a shortlister. Even if you get the required A-level grades, you may not get accepted. The best thing to do is pay as an external candidate to re-sit gcse maths in june. It only costs about £100-£200 depending on the exam centre and it will be worth it rather than getting into a non-russel group.
bethanyeve23
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You're in the same situation as me, I want to study marketing also. You should email the admission centres of the RG unis that you want to apply to and ask if they would consider your application, despite receiving a C.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Resit your Maths GCSE. Seriously.
Neddie001
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Resit would probably be the best option, however some Unis including RG do put on their GCSE requirements B in Maths or approved science (or something like that). These are obviously the three sciences of physics, chemistry and biology but can also include geography and geology etc.
Check the specific university and course you are applying for!
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Contact them - especially if you're planning to resit. GCSE resits will be grades 1-9 this year not A*-G and the grades aren't comparable. Find out what grade they would want from your resit.
j.sturdy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rosiemoon_)
Hi,
Hi,
I'm a first year marketing student at Bournemouth University so thought I could offer an insight! Firstly, you do have the option to retake your maths GCSE or try applying to a RG university anyway as universities look at personal statements as well as grades. As for Marketing at Bournemouth University, the course so far I'm finding very interesting and really enjoying the units. I have also been offered to do CIM (Chartered institute of Marketing) which you can do along side your degree to have on your CV which is good to have, particularly if you are wanting to definitely do marketing! Also, Bournemouth has the opportunity for a year placement in industry which can lead to a job for once you've graduated!

I hope this helped offer more insight into Bournemouth University! If you have any more questions let me know! - Jess
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Contact them - especially if you're planning to resit. GCSE resits will be grades 1-9 this year not A*-G and the grades aren't comparable. Find out what grade they would want from your resit.
stoltguyboo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm in my 3rd of year of my Marketing Degree...and i have a F in Maths.

I did two years of a Foundation Degree and now completing my final year, i agree Maths is important but some people just cannot do it.

I'm on course for a 2:1 overall and i work don't listen to these nay Sayers.

(I have a personal finance Qualification instead all my other GCSE's are Between A-C)
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by stoltguyboo)
...and i have a F in Maths.)
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AshEntropy)
The equivalence for B grades isn't clearcut. And many universities previously asking for a C grade are now asking for a 5.
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
The equivalence for B grades isn't clearcut. And many universities previously asking for a C grade are now asking for a 5.
I think they're asking for a 5 because a 4 is slightly below a C.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Resit your Maths GCSE. Seriously.
Why not simply do this? Am staggered that it did not occcur to you.
rraecholl
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
hi, i am a year 12 this year and i am in the same situation as you. do you mind telling me did you end up doing marketing in uni with C in gcse maths? thankyou!
biancacole
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Same!!
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
OP hasn’t posted in over 2yrs so you may not get an update. All the above guidance still applies, uni’s are very unlikely to be flexible with GCSE requirements so whilst you can email them to check, retaking or looking at somewhere with a lower maths requirement are your best options.
biancacole
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
OP hasn’t posted in over 2yrs so you may not get an update. All the above guidance still applies, uni’s are very unlikely to be flexible with GCSE requirements so whilst you can email them to check, retaking or looking at somewhere with a lower maths requirement are your best options.
Really helpful thank you 👍
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (71)
19.03%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (76)
20.38%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (68)
18.23%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (78)
20.91%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (39)
10.46%
I haven't started researching yet (41)
10.99%

Watched Threads