Article Demystifies Trump & Brexit Victories: 'Why Populism Trumps the Status Quo'

Watch
TSR George
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Executive Summary
• The populist protest vote goes deeper people being ‘left behind’
• Folks feel that they are losing their place, and way, in life
• People are divided by their psychological response to societal transformation
• Households have been destabilised in both economic and sociological terms

• The political/media establishment must quickly up its game if it is to cling to power and influence
• What we need is more pluralistic, open, and transparent modes of politics and public discourse
• The democratic deficit must be addressed and we must pursue equitable, truly progressive outcomes
• We need serious electoral/media/financial sector/regulatory reform and a major culture shift

• Westerners want to see their heritage, values, and identity, restored and respected
• They want to see socially conscientious, morally courageous, and gritty pragmatic leadership
• They want the politics of genuine representation, consensus building, and common consent
• The Labour Party arguably has the most to lose or gain by ignoring or observing the take home message

Full Article
Why populism trumps the status quo
queen-bee
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Foo.mp3)
Executive Summary
• The populist protest vote goes deeper people being ‘left behind’
• Folks feel that they are losing their place, and way, in life
• People are divided by their psychological response to societal transformation
• Households have been destabilised in both economic and sociological terms

• The political/media establishment must quickly up its game if it is to cling to power and influence
• What we need is more pluralistic, open, and transparent modes of politics and public discourse
• The democratic deficit must be addressed and we must pursue equitable, truly progressive outcomes
• We need serious electoral/media/financial sector/regulatory reform and a major culture shift

• Westerners want to see their heritage, values, and identity, restored and respected
• They want to see socially conscientious, morally courageous, and gritty pragmatic leadership
• They want the politics of genuine representation, consensus building, and common consent
• The Labour Party arguably has the most to lose or gain by ignoring or observing the take home message

Full Article
Why populism trumps the status quo
What do you think of the new alt right aka white supremacists?
What are you view on trump anyway?
queen-bee
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
He's a bit of an egotistical clown who likes to throw his weight around, although as you know I value forthrightness

His economic strategy will probably flop and will certainly leave the US with unsustainably high public debt either way

His diplomatic posture could land the US in trouble and will certainly alienate people e.g. the Chinese/Iranians

His domestic policies are unlikely to turn out to be nearly as right-wing as his campaign rhetoric, which is cause for relief for many but will further undermine trust in politics/politicians (to really represent the people/deliver real change)
Definitely spot on about this:
'His diplomatic posture could land the US in trouble and will certainly alienate people e.g. the Chinese/Iranians.'

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...-us-navy-drone

I certainly feel like he won't fulfill many of the campaign promises he made and I wonder if he'll still prosecute Hillary :curious:
CookieButter
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The biggest reason why Donald Trump won the election in the USA is his views on 'Israel'....you can tell yourself what you like...western heritage, values, populist vote etc....none of that made him win....he won because of his views on 'israel'....In the UK and in the USA the candidate that is most pro-jewish interests wins. Your opinions or votes are 2nd to Jewish interests. It is as simple as that.

The fiasco that broke a few days ago, of the 'israeli' diplomat talking about bringing down British MPs and influencing British politics through fake 'independent' pro-jewish organisations is testament to how much influence this group of people have on western politics. Our so called 'democracies' are often democracies by word only.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ke-down-uk-mps
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-groups-labour
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think that is the rub. When we talk about heritage, values and identity we like to think of democracy, fair play and the rule of law. Sadly though, for most people in populist movements it is about supremacy, power over others (including a yearning for Empire again) and having the right to tell someone that doesn't look the same to f*** off.

In this respect, I am not quite sure which values are being eroded.

When Trump talks about making America great again, I can't help feeling that most of his audience are thinking about the days when the US was "the" power in the world and segregation and racism were commonplace.
Stella Rubae
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thought it was cuz "'dey tuk our jooobs"
queen-bee
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That really is what trump is all about. What do you think about the refugee ban btw?
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Never ceases to baffle/amuse me when brainwashed so-called 'liberal' sheeple display the most grotesquely hypocritical, counter-progressive, and anti-intellectual/disingenuous ignorant/oversimplified/narrow minded bigotry, condescending and dismissive sweeping generalisations, and anti-democratic rhetoric :facepalm2:
I'll take oversimplified and sweeping generalisation, but where was I bigoted or dismissive?

You only have to look at the rhetoric from people like Trump to see that populism is about irrational fear of those different to ourselves. The idea that immigrants are rapists is based on no facts whatsoever for example.

Either way, you seem unable to have a rational discussion without shouting down your opponent (also a characteristic of the likes of Trump and Farage) so I will leave you to shout into cyber space.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (147)
14.54%
I'm not sure (43)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.97%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads