Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Which jobs pay the most? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    You still play but you play golf instead!
    dont say that...gold is ****...besides 30 isnt a bad age

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    dont say that...gold is ****...besides 30 isnt a bad age
    Not everyone gets burnout at 30!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Not everyone gets burnout at 30!
    glad to hear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    glad to hear
    It's a very "macho" culture so it's unsurprising that people do leave the industry early in their careers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitriol)
    MC don't earn as much as US firms. Compare £50k NQ at ****uhters with £89k at Skaddens.

Muhwhahahaha.
    LOL Phil neville gets more than that in 10 days and so does gary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    actuarial science is the highest paid profession
    So why do you want to become a scummy doctor..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    So why do you want to become a scummy doctor..?
    I wanted to be a doctor, but I realised that I enjoy money more so I'm gonna do three years of maths and economics at uni now , but i'm not sure who earns more, a good surgeon or a good actuary guy :confused:

ReputationRep:
    This is going to sound such a stupid quetsion but what does an investment banker actually do?I'd like a mathematical/business sort of career and wondering what this is like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shellebell)
    This is going to sound such a stupid quetsion but what does an investment banker actually do?I'd like a mathematical/business sort of career and wondering what this is like.
    not 100% sure but the investment banker where I work sees customers (usually ones with a lot of savings £15,000+) and tells them what to do with their money eg but them in mellenium bonds, ISA's, high interest accounts, on the stockmarket etc etc

so I think they get someones money and find out a way the customer can benefit the most from different investments, plus make a few bob for themselves :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    not 100% sure but the investment banker where I work sees customers (usually ones with a lot of savings £15,000+) and tells them what to do with their money eg but them in mellenium bonds, ISA's, high interest accounts, on the stockmarket etc etc

so I think they get someones money and find out a way the customer can benefit the most from different investments, plus make a few bob for themselves :cool:
    the first description is of a financial adviser

the second is of a fund manager

ReputationRep:
    but he only gets £35,000 a year so he cant be the one people on this thread are talking about.

it could just be someone that plays on the stockmarket :confused:

tries to make profit by selling and buying shares?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    but he only gets £35,000 a year so he cant be the one people on this thread are talking about.

it could just be someone that plays on the stockmarket :confused:

tries to make profit by selling and buying shares?
    that is a description of a trader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marabara)
    the first description is of a financial adviser

the second is of a fund manager
    sorry my mistake.

the first and second descriptions are the same though?

ReputationRep:
    that is a description of a trader
    can you explain a investment banker then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    can you explain a investment banker then?
    I'm not sure that 'investment banker' is the right word to describe a job

its better to say that you work at an investment bank - you can work in all sorts of disciplines from analyst to trader

their clients tend to be very wealthy individuals or large companies, and themselves (in terms of investing their own funds)

the term 'investment banker' is about as diverse as 'City worker'

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure that 'investment banker' is the right word to describe a job

its better to say that you work at an investment bank - you can work in all sorts of disciplines from analyst to trader

their clients tend to be very wealthy individuals or large companies, and themselves (in terms of investing their own funds)

the term 'investment banker' is about as diverse as 'City worker'
    oh ok i see.

so if i work for coutts then i work for a investment bank?

ReputationRep:
    Investment banks are very wide companies, very wide. Some incorporate stockbroker and will do trading for their clients others will run PEPs or ISAs for their clients. others will set up funds that will invest in teh stockmarket on behald of their clients. I recently went to the AGM for Shroders' UK Growth Fund.
    Generally just play around on the stock market trying to make money. There are so many different jobs inside an investment banks, analysts, traders, IT people.
    Very similar are Merchant banks, Schroders are one of those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzylou)
    Investment banking, management consultancy, magic circle/US law firms, big 4 accountancy firms.

Mind you, you very much earn your money there - when you look at it in terms of hourly rates, it's often not such a great deal. Also bear in mind that you will spend more on food/taxis/dry cleaning/cleaners etc as you just won't have the time to do it.

Think very carefully about what's more important to you - time to have a life, see your friends and family, or money. If you enjoy the job, go for it, but if it is just for the money, have a long think about it when it finally comes to making choices.

Lizzy (the voice of age old wisdom... !)
    Yay I work for one of them - damn internship means i dont get paid much tho (and plus who would really want to be an accountant?)

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.