Prudator
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi there,

I currently study Maths, Physics and Computer Science at A-Level and was wondering what the best type of engineering was for me to study at university or get an apprenticeship in.
Rockyboy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Prudator)
Hi there,

I currently study Maths, Physics and Computer Science at A-Level and was wondering what the best type of engineering was for me to study at university or get an apprenticeship in.
Software engineering is the best course considering your A level choices
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there,

It depends on where your skills and interests lie (assuming it even is with engineering at all). What kind of things do you like doing, or do you fancy working with?
DarkEnergy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there,

With those A-levels, you have pretty much every discipline of engineering available to you, except maybe biomedical engineering or chemical engineering.

You could go into electrical engineering, electronic engineering, computer engineering, software engineering, aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, materials engineering, civil engineering, nuclear engineering, manufacturing engineering, aeronautical engineering, etc. I could go on for a while.

Really though, you should try to narrow it down to a few fields that you'd like to do. Whilst they're all 'engineering', they each have their own caveats and are actually quite different.
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well whatever you're most interested in.is best

you could do electronics or electrical & electronics which have probably got some programming modules
or mechatronics, compsci & electronics, software engineering or plain compsci for increasing amounts of computer scienceness
an_atheist
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
EEE or software engineering would probably be best suited to your skill set given what you study, but pretty much any that dont need some knowledge of chemistry or biology could be studied.
KardasDragon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What are your interests? I take the same subject and i'm going into civil because I like buildings, construction sites, opportunities to travel etc

Electrical will generally be the one that involves the most math, and the most abstract math. I'd say it's the most difficult.

Civil is the most tangible, requires the easiest math.

Biomedical is a mishmash of Mech,Electrical with some biology elements. It's a very new field and not one id recommend as a undergrad since youll become a jack no trades, master of less

Mechanical is sort of the middle ground, and requires the most intensive physics.

Software Engineering is basically more applied Computer Science. It's engineering only in the mindset.

Aerospace is pretty interesting, as it combines many different aspects, but unlike Biomedical, is actually holistic in it's approach

You dont have Chemistry so can't do chemical.
bigboateng_
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can get to most engineering. But if you want good salary then software engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Prudator
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by KardasDragon)
What are your interests? I take the same subject and i'm going into civil because I like buildings, construction sites, opportunities to travel etc

Electrical will generally be the one that involves the most math, and the most abstract math. I'd say it's the most difficult.

Civil is the most tangible, requires the easiest math.

Biomedical is a mishmash of Mech,Electrical with some biology elements. It's a very new field and not one id recommend as a undergrad since youll become a jack no trades, master of less

Mechanical is sort of the middle ground, and requires the most intensive physics.

Software Engineering is basically more applied Computer Science. It's engineering only in the mindset.

Aerospace is pretty interesting, as it combines many different aspects, but unlike Biomedical, is actually holistic in it's approach

You dont have Chemistry so can't do chemical.
From the research I have done I find the most interest in Aerospace engineering and Civil engineering. From what I've seen they both require top grades (A-A*) even in lower end universities, and I'm not sure if getting an A* in physics is going to be at all easy.

Thanks for the reply.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (71)
38.17%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (18)
9.68%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.45%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (45)
24.19%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.44%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
8.06%

Watched Threads