The state should not provide education for any children

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
richpanda
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Instead of us being taxed to death to fund (often failing/mediocre) schools, the whole education sector should be privatised. It would give an incentive for schools to perform (or they don't get paid by the parents), and it would also encourage home learning.

The only government involvement would be making each school have a set percentage of the class intake as students who have a scholarship (can't afford the fees, but are clever), and regulating the fees to make sure they don't spiral out of control.

Also, the government would be the single exam board for tests at 8, 11, 16 and 18. Corporal punishment would be encouraged.
MrsSheldonCooper
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Did you do badly at school OP?

Spoiler:
Show

And by the way, corporal punishment doesn't work on students. Take it from someone who went to a school who did it.
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Why is TSR so anti-school these days
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
So any kids who are deemed thick or have behavioural issues will get booted out early on so that these private enterprises don't have their record blemished.

And they'll get tortured in the meantime.

Genius.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Encourage home learning? Yeah sounds like it'd be great being taught my parents who know nothing about the subject I'm really interested in now and am applying to do at uni. Just swell. 10/10

The only part of the OP I agree with to some extent is having just one exam board. More of them just causes weird difficulty variation within the same subject.
will'o'wisp
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by richpanda)
Instead of us being taxed to death to fund (often failing/mediocre) schools, the whole education sector should be privatised. It would give an incentive for schools to perform (or they don't get paid by the parents), and it would also encourage home learning.

The only government involvement would be making each school have a set percentage of the class intake as students who have a scholarship (can't afford the fees, but are clever), and regulating the fees to make sure they don't spiral out of control.

Also, the government would be the single exam board for tests at 8, 11, 16 and 18. Corporal punishment would be encouraged.
Let the poor be poorer and the rich be richer.
AperfectBalance
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
While there are certainly times that I would have liked corporal punishment to be a thing I do not see it ever happening. Although I do think that schools should be stricter.
richpanda
Rep:
(Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
Did you do badly at school OP?

Spoiler:
Show

And by the way, corporal punishment doesn't work on students. Take it from someone who went to a school who did it.

Nope, I got 4 A grades at AS and am currently working hard to get good A2 grades.
l'etranger
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I would actually like this, one centralised exam board but where the learning materials and institutions are privatised. Universities should be state funded and decentralised as they currently are though. Corporal punishment is stupid though, if someone hit my kid I would be extremely upset.
richpanda
Rep:
(Original post by Drewski)
So any kids who are deemed thick or have behavioural issues will get booted out early on so that these private enterprises don't have their record blemished.

And they'll get tortured in the meantime.

Genius.
No they won't be booted out, they'd be properly disciplined instead of being rewarded by attention from teachers for their 'behavioral issues'.
MrsSheldonCooper
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Nope, I got 4 A grades at AS and am currently working hard to get good A2 grades.
I wish we could see you as a 4 year old and see how you would react to corporal punishment at school. I doubt you'd be prancing around and welcoming this disgusting "the rich get the best and the poor don't" educational attitude.
richpanda
Rep:
I wish we could see you as a 4 year old and see how you would react to corporal punishment at school. I doubt you'd be prancing around and welcoming this disgusting "the rich get the best and the poor don't" educational attitude.
As I already said, there would be a certain % of scholarships.

You are aware segregation of rich and poor happens in schools anyway due to house prices, this is just making it clear.
MrsSheldonCooper
Rep:
Report 5 years ago

You are aware segregation of rich and poor happens in schools anyway due to house prices, this is just making it clear.
A certain % of scholarships and homeschooling? What the hell is wrong with you? The poor wouldn't even have a shot at education even if they didn't pass and get scholarships for whatever reason.
richpanda
Rep:
A certain % of scholarships and homeschooling? What the hell is wrong with you? The poor wouldn't even have a shot at education even if they didn't pass and get scholarships for whatever reason.
If they cared enough they could learn stuff for free via the Internet. School would no longer be compulsory. Not much is wrong with me, to be perfectly honest.
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
So a proportion who haven't learned enough at home to pass for scholarships and with poor families get...?
richpanda
Rep:
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
So a proportion who haven't learned enough at home to pass for scholarships and with poor families get...?
Neutered
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Neutered
... and this seems perfectly sensible?
whatadon
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Neutered
Read the Sun by any chance?
ihatePE
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
how boring...
Vikingninja
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Define "taxed to death".
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
20%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
10.43%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
6.96%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (20)
17.39%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (29)
25.22%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
20%

Watched Threads