The Student Room Group

Are these good A level choices?

Maths, Further maths, Economics and Politics
I'm aiming high and want to get into Economics and Management in Oxford University. I'm on the fence about politics. Maths and Further maths are facilitating subjects and I know economics is respected by Russell group universities. Is taking politics a good choice or should i go for another facilitating subject like french?
Reply 1
yes....doesn't really take a smart ass to see it
I do Government & Politics and it is an awesome a level and its really interesting. You don't need a fourth facilitating subject :smile: atleast 2 is enough and you have also Politics+ economics are respected subjects.

Facilitating just means gives you more options, aslong as your subjects are relevant and you have the grades are important.
No you need drama, media and btec sport to study economics at oxford.
Good combo, though you might be slightly better placed with History instead of Politics and Economics may also be an inefficient choice, in terms of what options you leave open. Having spoken to Oxford tutors who teach E&M and others who teach PPE, I was advised that reading the Economist was probably sufficient enough understanding of economics/business/politics and that studying for 'keystone' subjects (maths, further maths, chemistry, physics, english lit, history, languages, geography), especially in maths and further maths, would leave me in a stronger position. At Oxford in particular, economics emphasises the historical and social aspects so that having studied history is useful.

As I started my post, it is a fine combination.

Quick Reply

Latest