The Student Room Group

Java or C++

I have some background in Javascript and now I'm planning to learn a new programming language. Would Java or C++ be a better choice for me?
It is a rather vague question. A bit like saying "I like driving. Which would be better for me to drive, a formula 1 car or a top of the range off-roader?"

What do you want to do? Java is an all-rounder and potentially offers the ability to create cross platform solutions. But in my experience it is dogged with frequent updates which make running multiple Java applications difficult to impossible. C++ is the daddy of software languages. There is nothing you can't do in C++. However, in areas such as connecting to SQL and user interface, it very much takes the mantra of "why write 2 lines of code when you can write 2000 to do the same thing" In other words, simple things can be horrendously over complex.

Personally, if you are working in the Windows domain and want to make fast progress, go down the .Net route. It has a massive library of functionality you can just tap into and you can take your pick between Visual Basic or C# (ignore the rest - they are pointless). You can also go into the Web domain with ASP.net (traditional or MVC)

Good luck!
Reply 2
Thanks for your advice! Yes perhaps I should think carefully what do I want to do. I think I will try to explore the ASP.net first since I am quite interested in web.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending