Turn on thread page Beta

Parents choice watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    In reguards to health care of teenagers under 16 how much control should parents have? I ask this because of the recent decision to allow under 16's to have abortions without there parents knowledge. My opinion is that younger teenagers are old enough to know what they want and shouls be allowed to decide on the type of medical treatment that they want even if it is against their parents wishes. I am talking generally for different types of medical conditions not just pregnancy and STD's but others too.

So basically should parents be able to force a younge teenager into having treatment that the teenager doesn't want or should the teenagers wishes be followed.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking as a parent myself and having quite a few children, boys { 4 teenagers} and one teenageage daughter I would be horrified to think that she had gone a head had had any sort of medical proceedure without me knowing. Then again I would be equally as horrified that she couldnt come to me in the first place. There is a fine line now of having control over your children and their welfare. I believe that in todays society there is a much wider choice and available help for teenagers who have 'problems' of one form or another. That has come with children 'growing up' alot quicker than when I was a kid. I agree that they should have the final decision after all its their body but at what age do you hand over this decision. Also if they can make such life changes decisions then at what age do you say its okay to start having sex and drinking alcohol???? I have always discussed with my older kids the pros and cons of having unprotected sex and making available from the beginning of the teenage years condoms.
    In the end it is all down to communciation and if you communicate correctly then a child should never be put in the position where they dont wnat t tell their parents.
    This will be a debate that wil run and run......

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you that teenagers are growing up faster (wether this is a good or a bad thing is debatable but it is true) I think that the law should start to reflect this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cindy)
    Also if they can make such life changes decisions then at what age do you say its okay to start having sex and drinking alcohol????
    You can be any age to drink in your own home. I was brought up on drink at an early age and I do not go out to get Brahms and Liszt every Saturday night.

The age of consent for sex is out of date beyond belief.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry meaning got lost in the sentence. I meant legally out and about. Not at home, god mine have drinks at home and are quite sensible about it too.

ReputationRep:
    I think teenagers should be allowed to have an abortion without their parents knowledge. As an example my mother used to work in Homerton hospital (in Hackney, North London) and a turkish girl came in pregnant. Her boyfriend and her family didn't know about the pregnancy and were fairly strict muslim so an abortion was the best solution

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    I think teenagers should be allowed to have an abortion without their parents knowledge. As an example my mother used to work in Homerton hospital (in Hackney, North London) and a turkish girl came in pregnant. Her boyfriend and her family didn't know about the pregnancy and were fairly strict muslim so an abortion was the best solution
    I think that under 16's should be able to at any point place themselves in the care of the local social-services to make a decision on medical (and possibly other) matters. That way if a 9 year old came to social services complaining about not wanting an injection that his parents have told him he must have before say going on holiday he would be given short shrift and innoculated, whilst a teenager with something more serious, say a 14yo contracting HIV from intravenous injection of Heroin with dirty needles while pregnant, could be given the support they need away from the pressures that may be upon them from their family. Telling the family would be an option left open to the social-services at their discretion.

ReputationRep:
    The vast majority of parents care about their children and want to give them the best counselling they can. BUT there are also many parents who are abusive, selfish, fanatic, extremely ortodox and so on, and the children in these families often have very good reasons not to go to their parents for this kind of advice. Parents should not be afraid of this law as it can easily be circumvented by letting your children know that they can come home and get help from mom and dad without having to be scared about it.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.