The Student Room Group

I have no savings for uni!!

Hi, I'm 15 years old and currently studying at GCSE level. Throughout my entire life I was adamant that I wanted to be a performer (hence all my creative subject choices). Most theatres do NOT require qualifications, just experience - which I do have a lot of - so I thought I wouldn't need to go to college or university and would try to get experience in theatres across the country instead. However, over the past year or so my passion for theatre has lessened as my confidence has dropped and I "grew up". I realised it was quite unrealistic of me to assume I could land myself a career in theatre instantly, as it is a VERY competitive job field and where I am located, theatrical opportunities are VERY limited. I am still a very creative individual and like to work around people. I have always loved taking photos wherever I go but had never really considered it a talent and more of a hobby. But then people started complementing my work and I became passionate about photography. I am hopefully going to be studying A-Level Photography, A-Level Media, BTEC Media and A-Level business studies, however I am unsure if for me to become an established photographer I will need to study photography at university. University is VERY expensive and because of what I originally wanted to do, I have NO savings at all ready for Uni in a few years, I have a small job but the income on that is very limited. What would you suggest doing? Do you think I need to go to university, or will experience and practice be enough? HELPPPPPP!!!???
thanks,
Louise walton (15, UK)
You don't need savings. Everyone is entitled to a tuition fee loan which covers the cost of university fees, and unless your parents are very wealthy indeed, you will also be able to take out a maintenance loan to cover the cost of accommodation, food etc. It is too early to be thinking about university anyway, focus on your GCSEs for now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending