Effect of changing pH and temperature on the digestion of lactose in milk

Watch this thread
username2441075
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I need help with this exam question!! Thanks.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/att...hmentid=599014
Dusky Mauve
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
What do you know about the pH of the stomach of mammals?
hxrl3yB00
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Omg, is this Eduqas/WJEC by any chance?. Okay, so with this you need to know that the stomach is a fairly acidic place due to HCL. Now, look at the table? What's the pattern you see? With what I stated.... does it look like the stomach has the right conditions to produce lactase
username2441075
Rep:
(Original post by Dusky Mauve)
What do you know about the pH of the stomach of mammals?
It is acidic... XD That's all, lol.
username2441075
Rep:
(Original post by hxrl3yB00)
Omg, is this Eduqas/WJEC by any chance?. Okay, so with this you need to know that the stomach is a fairly acidic place due to HCL. Now, look at the table? What's the pattern you see? With what I stated.... does it look like the stomach has the right conditions to produce lactase
The acidic pHs digested slower and alkaline pHs took faster to digest the lactose.
z33
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
well what digests lactose? and what is that thing made up of? and how do those things react to extreme pH?
hxrl3yB00
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sweetstars)
The acidic pHs digested slower and alkaline pHs took faster to digest the lactose.
Yup, I believe to get full marks you need to state the conditions of the mammal stomach (acidic). Use figures from the table to prove why the statement is incorrect and use figures from the table to deduce a correct statement.
username2441075
Rep:
(Original post by hxrl3yB00)
Yup, I believe to get full marks you need to state the conditions of the mammal stomach (acidic). Use figures from the table to prove why the statement is incorrect and use figures from the table to deduce a correct statement.
This statement is false as the stomach of mammals are in acidic conditions, therefore the lactose would not be able to digest quickly, because pH 4 - an acid -digested the lactose in 20 minutes, whereas pH 9 - an alkaline - digested it in 6 minutes.

Would that be good? The marks are out of 2, how excellent is this paragraph and how should I improve? Thanks.
username2441075
Rep:
(Original post by z33)
well what digests lactose? and what is that thing made up of? and how do those things react to extreme pH?
The lactose digests the lipids in the lactose. Is lactose made of lipids and glucose? I dont know how to answer the last one tho...
z33
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
The lactose digests the lipids in the lactose. Is lactose made of lipids and glucose? I dont know how to answer the last one tho...
lactase digests lactose
what is lactase?
username2441075
Rep:
(Original post by z33)
lactase digests lactose
what is lactase?
whoops I mean lactase...
Lactase is an enzyme that digests lipids - produced by the pancreas.
hxrl3yB00
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
This statement is false as the stomach of mammals are in acidic conditions, therefore the lactose would not be able to digest quickly, because pH 4 - an acid -digested the lactose in 20 minutes, whereas pH 9 - an alkaline - digested it in 6 minutes.

Would that be good? The marks are out of 2, how excellent is this paragraph and how should I improve? Thanks.
It's 2 marks? I thought it was 3.... and that should be perfectly fine !
username2441075
Rep:
Thanks hopefully I do get two marks. It is my homework that my teacher gave me ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (0)
0%
Take a gap year (0)
0%
Resit my exams (1)
100%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (0)
0%
I don't know yet (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (0)
0%

Watched Threads