Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    My UCAS application is due in the coming September and I was wondering how the referee/reference thing works. I understand that the applicant would write his/her personal statement, and then a teacher may be their referee, and write a reference, but is it possible to obtain your reference instead from a third party, such as a former employer or let's say (just for example) your dad's friend's friend's uncle who has a bit more authority for your reference?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

    From the UCAS website:

    Who should write the reference?

    Your referee should know you well enough to write about you and if you are suitable for higher education. We will not accept references from family, other relatives or friends. You must have a full written reference - the name and address of the referee are not enough.

    If you are at school or college, or you have only left recently, you should ask your headteacher, principal or an appropriate teacher or tutor.

    If you are a mature student, you should ask a responsible person who knows you. This could be an employer, training officer, careers officer, a teacher on a recent relevant further education course, or a senior colleague in employment or voluntary work.

    If you are an international student, explain to your referee what he or she needs to do. Give your referee the address of this How to apply for 2004 section of the UCAS website so he or she can review this information, write the reference and send the form to us. Do not just write the name and address of your referee.
    • Thread Starter

    I see...thanks!
    Are you only allowed one reference, or could you send in more to each individual university you're applying to?

    Only one! All universities see the same application form.

University open days

  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.