Referees and References for University applications

Watch
This discussion is closed.
FlamingDeath
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi,

My UCAS application is due in the coming September and I was wondering how the referee/reference thing works. I understand that the applicant would write his/her personal statement, and then a teacher may be their referee, and write a reference, but is it possible to obtain your reference instead from a third party, such as a former employer or let's say (just for example) your dad's friend's friend's uncle who has a bit more authority for your reference?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
From the UCAS website:

Who should write the reference?

Your referee should know you well enough to write about you and if you are suitable for higher education. We will not accept references from family, other relatives or friends. You must have a full written reference - the name and address of the referee are not enough.

If you are at school or college, or you have only left recently, you should ask your headteacher, principal or an appropriate teacher or tutor.

If you are a mature student, you should ask a responsible person who knows you. This could be an employer, training officer, careers officer, a teacher on a recent relevant further education course, or a senior colleague in employment or voluntary work.

If you are an international student, explain to your referee what he or she needs to do. Give your referee the address of this How to apply for 2004 section of the UCAS website so he or she can review this information, write the reference and send the form to us. Do not just write the name and address of your referee.
FlamingDeath
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I see...thanks!
Are you only allowed one reference, or could you send in more to each individual university you're applying to?
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Only one! All universities see the same application form.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (18)
21.69%
No (65)
78.31%

Watched Threads