The Student Room Group

HELP! Advice from a solictors or law student on housing

I need help with ending a tenancy agreement beffort the tenancy ends.

I moved into flat about 2 months ago but it has had some problems most significantly the heating is not working and the landlord is adamant that I am making it up. I know I can contact my local council to help with this but its gotten to the point that I can no longer live at the flat. I have been trying to seek advice on how to end the contracat but those giving legal aid say my issue is not covered and I have been unable to find a solicitor that will deal with my issue plus I am pretty sure it will be expensive and I don't have money to spend now.

I know I have to 'surrender' the tenancy agreement. I am planning to write to the landlord informing him that informing I will be leaving(which he has informally agreed to). I want to make sure that I write the right thing so I am not liable for the remaining months of rent to pay. Could someone please let me know what to write. Also do I need him to sign it or we both do.

I am in desperate need of help so if you can help it will be very helpful.
Original post by Riverhampton
I need help with ending a tenancy agreement beffort the tenancy ends.

I moved into flat about 2 months ago but it has had some problems most significantly the heating is not working and the landlord is adamant that I am making it up. I know I can contact my local council to help with this but its gotten to the point that I can no longer live at the flat. I have been trying to seek advice on how to end the contracat but those giving legal aid say my issue is not covered and I have been unable to find a solicitor that will deal with my issue plus I am pretty sure it will be expensive and I don't have money to spend now.

I know I have to 'surrender' the tenancy agreement. I am planning to write to the landlord informing him that informing I will be leaving(which he has informally agreed to). I want to make sure that I write the right thing so I am not liable for the remaining months of rent to pay. Could someone please let me know what to write. Also do I need him to sign it or we both do.

I am in desperate need of help so if you can help it will be very helpful.

Has he already agreed to waive his right to demand payment for the months still left to run on the fixed term (I assume it's an assured shorthand tenancy)?
Reply 2
He hasn't waived his right to remainder of the months rent. All he said is you can move out. That's why I want to have something in writing. it is a fixed term contract.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending