The Student Room Group

Is it possible to receive a higher maintaince loan that the max?

I was just wondering, is it possible to receive a higher maintaince loan than the maximum. I receive just over 6k I live with my parents, but a friend of mine who also lives with her parents and she seems to have similair situation to mine is getting 9k!!! how? is this a mistake? shouldn't i also be entitled for this since we have similar household income.

So overall my question is how is it possible to receive that much over the maximum (in our case 6900) maintaince loan?

thanks
Original post by ranz
I was just wondering, is it possible to receive a higher maintaince loan than the maximum. I receive just over 6k I live with my parents, but a friend of mine who also lives with her parents and she seems to have similair situation to mine is getting 9k!!! how? is this a mistake? shouldn't i also be entitled for this since we have similar household income.

So overall my question is how is it possible to receive that much over the maximum (in our case 6900) maintaince loan?

thanks

Is your friend getting other allowances such as adult dependent or something?
Getting over 9k/year is possible if a student receives a special support grant rather than a maintenance grant. It's available to those receiving certain benefits. While the same amount as the maintenance grant, it differs in that it does not reduce the amount of student loan you receive.
Reply 3
Original post by Quantex
Getting over 9k/year is possible if a student receives a special support grant rather than a maintenance grant. It's available to those receiving certain benefits. While the same amount as the maintenance grant, it differs in that it does not reduce the amount of student loan you receive.

theyre all labelled as 'maintenance loan' like mine though.
I really dont know, every situation is different after all

Thank you!!
There's an extra loan for those starting this year receiving certain benefits.
Long course loan or special support grant maybe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending