Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Here's the deal...

Limes are people who view that their country has been stolen by a neighbouring set of fruits (the Grapefruits)... Some Limes fight against the occupying Grapefruit forces but never carry out military actions against Orange civilians.

The Oranges are the Limes fellow country people and support the Grapefruits. They realise that the Limes are trying to break the link with the Grapefruit home nation. They decide to "defend" their little part of their country. In doing so, they are ignoring the fact that the Grapefruits are already holding it quite securely "on their behalf". The Oranges think the best way to defent their "birthrights" is to kill Lime civilians. They figure that scaring the Limes into not fighting the Grapefruits anymore is the best way forward.

Who is more justified in their actions? Limes or Oranges?

ReputationRep:
    Why is this thread called apples or oranges, if our choice is limes or oranges?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Why is this thread called apples or oranges, if our choice is limes or oranges?
    It isn't! You adulterous wife you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    It isn't! You adulterous wife you!
    You just changed it you sneaky minx!

ReputationRep:
    mmm wonders about the significance of the colours green and orange.

think's about the implications of being a grapefruit and heads back to her drink in the garden.

ReputationRep:
    I just voted for oranges because I like them more than limes, limes are too sour!

ReputationRep:
    This is really subtle, pol. Unfortunately I voted already when I thought it was actually a thread about whether you like limes or oranges more.

Niether are justified.

ReputationRep:
    Here's the deal...

Limes are people who view that their country has been stolen by a neighbouring set of fruits (the Grapefruits)... Some Limes fight against the occupying Grapefruit forces but never carry out military actions against Orange civilians.

The Oranges are the Limes fellow country people and support the Grapefruits. They realise that the Limes are trying to break the link with the Grapefruit home nation. They decide to "defend" their little part of their country. In doing so, they are ignoring the fact that the Grapefruits are already holding it quite securely "on their behalf". The Oranges think the best way to defent their "birthrights" is to kill Lime civilians. They figure that scaring the Limes into not fighting the Grapefruits anymore is the best way forward.

i know theyre "bitter" for one reason or another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamas)
    This is really subtle, pol. Unfortunately I voted already when I thought it was actually a thread about whether you like limes or oranges more.

Niether are justified.
    I wasn't trying to be subtle but thought terms like IRA or UFF might get thread deleted...

I am aware of the taste issue - maybe I should have said kiwis or oranges

PS... This is a continuance of a comment made by Weejimmie in the "I hate this term" thread..

ReputationRep:
    A more interesting question would have to be

"Does emotion cloud peoples judgement when debating a real-life conflict and if so can this effect be countered against by abstracting the issue?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    A more interesting question would have to be

"Does emotion cloud peoples judgement when debating a real-life conflict and if so can this effect be countered against by abstracting the issue?"
    Definitely. But will peoples taste for oranges or limes distort the results?

I think cases like this, where emotions run high, are usually debating the lesser of two evils.

Northern Ireland, Palestine et al have all become s**tfests where no party deserves the moral highground.

ReputationRep:
    Here's the deal...

You know, your description is rather ambigious. I personally thought it was about teh ME conflict before I scrolled down and read your post. Its not as simple as you think it is. People need to know the circumstances surrounding a conflict in order to make an evaluation of the situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    You know, your description is rather ambigious. I personally thought it was about teh ME conflict before I scrolled down and read your post. Its not as simple as you think it is. People need to know the circumstances surrounding a conflict in order to make an evaluation of the situation.
    FGS man... I couldn't set up a thread so long as to go into it all. Anyway, I think I was more than fair in what I said, simplistic though it may be...

ReputationRep:
    Definitely. But will peoples taste for oranges or limes distort the results?
    Yes!

When abstracting things like this food is not the best thing to use, as people are more likely to vote on taste as opposed to the issue at hand.

ReputationRep:
    FGS man... I couldn't set up a thread so long as to go into it all. Anyway, I think I was more than fair in what I said, simplistic though it may be...
    My point is that the fundamental idea behind exchanging the real identities of the parties with fruits is very flawed. The results of the poll will be useless for drawing any conclusions about the northern ireland conflict because its interpretation is so ambigious. The root of teh NI problem lies in a history of bloodshed and religious fanaticism and not in which of the parties has acted in a more wrongful way than the other.

ReputationRep:
    My point is that the fundamental idea behind exchanging the real identities of the parties with fruits is very flawed. The results of the poll will be useless for drawing any conclusions about the northern ireland conflict because its interpretation is so ambigious. The root of teh NI problem lies in a history of bloodshed and religious fanaticism and not in which of the parties has acted in a more wrongful way than the other.
    May I suggest that you are not as au fait with the situation as you might think you are...?

I agree, flavour seems to have biased the results!

ReputationRep:
    I would substitute "religious fanaticism" for "tribalism". Many of the biggest activists throughout the conflict have never darkened the door of a church in their lives.

ReputationRep:
    Here's the deal...

Why don't you just use the words in your mind rather than disguise it with two bits of fruit. You said you were going to do a poll, so make it more informative or this will go in the GC section If I am mistaken I apologise.
    PS I prefer satsumas

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.