The Student Room Group

Braces retainer afterwards?

Hi there, I just got my braces taken off today and I did not receive any retainers afterwards, all my friends who had their braces removed did receive retainers? I asked my dentist will I be needing them as well but instead I didn't get any.

Scroll to see replies

No one??
Sometimes they put 2 metal wires behind your top and bottom teeth which are known as another type of retainers tbh:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You should be given retainers. If you don't have retainers you're teeth will overtime move back to how it was before braces.
Original post by saraxh
You should be given retainers. If you don't have retainers you're teeth will overtime move back to how it was before braces.

But I called them and then they said "No further treatment is needed for you" and I was just like "oh." smh.. all my friends also said I should have got them can you apply for them at a different dentist, or does it have to be from the same one.
Original post by RoadtoSuccess
But I called them and then they said "No further treatment is needed for you" and I was just like "oh." smh.. all my friends also said I should have got them can you apply for them at a different dentist, or does it have to be from the same one.

I got mine from the same orthodontist. File a complaint because that's false.
Original post by saraxh
I got mine from the same orthodontist. File a complaint because that's false.

Thank you!
Original post by Lychee627
Sometimes they put 2 metal wires behind your top and bottom teeth which are known as another type of retainers tbh:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didnt get anything from them apart from a pat on the back saying 'Go on with your Journey' thats it
Original post by saraxh

Truee and thats what happened to me :rofl: hence i had to wear braces again lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didnt get anything from them apart from a pat on the back saying 'Go on with your Journey' thats it

Hmm idk then:dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lychee627

its fine tomorrow im gonna fire dragon iron fist their faces in... if you've watched fairytail you'll understand :wink:
Hi there, I just got my braces taken off today and I did not receive any retainers afterwards, all my friends who had their braces removed did receive retainers? I asked my dentist will I be needing them as well but instead I didn't get any.

Without retainers, your teeth are likely to move back to their original positions (unless they were practically fine to begin with???) - it seems very odd to me that you weren't at least offered retainers. I would call them up first thing tomorrow and ask for more details/ an appointment ASAP for retainers. If you leave it even a few days your teeth will have started moving and when they do the moulds for retainers your teeth will be already out of line.

My sister broke her retainer and in just the couple of weeks between them breaking and her getting round to going back for replacements her teeth had moved so much she had to get braces all over again.

Also, personally I would recommend pushing for fixed retainers (the thin wire round the back of your teeth) rather than the removable plastic gum-shield-like ones, because the fixed ones are harder to break and more convenient. Although apparently there's a slight risk of them getting infected if you don't clean properly.
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Without retainers, your teeth are likely to move back to their original positions (unless they were practically fine to begin with???) - it seems very odd to me that you weren't at least offered retainers. I would call them up first thing tomorrow and ask for more details/ an appointment ASAP for retainers. If you leave it even a few days your teeth will have started moving and when they do the moulds for retainers your teeth will be already out of line.

My sister broke her retainer and in just the couple of weeks between them breaking and her getting round to going back for replacements her teeth had moved so much she had to get braces all over again.

Also, personally I would recommend pushing for fixed retainers (the thin wire round the back of your teeth) rather than the removable plastic gum-shield-like ones, because the fixed ones are harder to break and more convenient. Although apparently there's a slight risk of them getting infected if you don't clean properly.

oh god okay now im really stressed out i dont want to go through that hassle of braces again :frown: what if they reject the idea of treating me tomorrow again?
oh god okay now im really stressed out i dont want to go through that hassle of braces again :frown: what if they reject the idea of treating me tomorrow again?

Don't stress - just ask for an emergency appointment in the next few days. It really should be part of your treatment plan to have retainers (I assume this is through the NHS?) and so they really should have offered them to you. If they reject you though I'm really not sure of what the procedure is :/
Don't stress - just ask for an emergency appointment in the next few days. It really should be part of your treatment plan to have retainers (I assume this is through the NHS?) and so they really should have offered them to you. If they reject you though I'm really not sure of what the procedure is :/

Yes it is via NHS and same im really upset now sigh
Yes it is via NHS and same im really upset now sigh

I'd have thought it should be ok to go back in then as it's part of the standard NHS treatment :smile: Don't be upset - it will all work out in the end!
And even if for some reason they claim you can't get them on the NHS, when my sister had the whole broken retainer situation and got new braces, the quote for fixed retainers done privately was *I think* under £100, certainly under £300 (obviously will vary between dentists - I can't remember exactly what they quoted since we were enquiring about multiple different options at the time) so you might be able to get them done this way if necessary.
I'd have thought it should be ok to go back in then as it's part of the standard NHS treatment :smile: Don't be upset - it will all work out in the end!

I hope so :/
Reply 18
whats wrong with ur ortho, u should get them
and dont worry retainers usually take a couple of days to make and come back to the practise.
didnt you get fixed retainers?
I had mine a week later as he only did nhs patients one day a week and took a while for the moulds to be sent off. why don't you phone the place and ask?

Quick Reply

Latest