The Student Room Group

How to answer this Public Law question

The question is based on whether Parliament has been given excess power which allows them to grant whatever they wish. I have to assess whether this is true or not. Brief points would be helpful, I just can't get my head around the question. Thank you
Reply 1
This is a question on the balance between Rule of Law and Parliamentary Sovereignty.

I can't remember the case, but there is a judgement or academic paper where a LJ states that if Parliament were to act in a way so drastic, it would be for the Courts to respond in kind. For example - a law is passed stating all the firstborn should be executed. Even if this is passed, the Courts would refuse to implement it - which would of course spark a constitutional crisis.

Dicey has written many books on the question you are being asked. The Separation of Powers between the Executive and Parliament might also be worth touching on.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Mimir
This is a question on the balance between Rule of Law and Parliamentary Sovereignty.

I can't remember the case, but there is a judgement or academic paper where a LJ states that if Parliament were to act in a way so drastic, it would be for the Courts to respond in kind. For example - a law is passed stating all the firstborn should be executed. Even if this is passed, the Courts would refuse to implement it - which would of course spark a constitutional crisis.

Dicey has written many books on the question you are being asked. The Separation of Powers between the Executive and Parliament might also be worth touching on.

Thanks a lot for clarifying what the question is asking and the extra details. Can I ask, what do you mean by the balance between Rule of Law and Parliamentary Sovereignty? I'm finding Public Law the most difficult to grasp so please forgive my somewhat basic questions
Reply 3
If you can't find out the answers to those questions I believe you are wasting time.

Google it! Or read a chapter in a text book.

I'm not answering your last question because that would be doing your homework for you.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending