The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Uni Met card and laptop prices

I want some advice on this matter as I find it to be quite ridiculous.

You get a metcard from uni and they topped it £1500

However they put so many restrictions that you can't really use the money anywhere but the sites they provide
Getech is the only site they provide.

I understand that this is free money that you don't have to pay back and whatever I'm buying is not coming from my pocket but does that give the university (or metcard providers) to make us spend money inefficiently ?

For example, a macbook pro had a price of £1599 recently and £1699 on currys as well.
Now instead of buying the laptop from this retailers (and use money given to me more efficiently) I am forced to buy it from getech which sells it at a full price £1899.

Even apple sells their products at discounted prices for students.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get products such as the macbook at discounted priced through the metcard?

Thanks
Original post by Frustrated2016
I want some advice on this matter as I find it to be quite ridiculous.

You get a metcard from uni and they topped it £1500

However they put so many restrictions that you can't really use the money anywhere but the sites they provide
Getech is the only site they provide.

I understand that this is free money that you don't have to pay back and whatever I'm buying is not coming from my pocket but does that give the university (or metcard providers) to make us spend money inefficiently ?

For example, a macbook pro had a price of £1599 recently and £1699 on currys as well.
Now instead of buying the laptop from this retailers (and use money given to me more efficiently) I am forced to buy it from getech which sells it at a full price £1899.

Even apple sells their products at discounted prices for students.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get products such as the macbook at discounted priced through the metcard?

Thanks

Are you for real?
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
No you don't get a discount. I bought a computer and I didn't get a discount with my met card and you can only use it through that company. I know people who use the money buy a computer and then sell the item on eBay or to friends.
Cant you just ask the Uni if that is the only tech site? They are probably limited to certain sites because they have a deal with them . Perhaps think of it as getting £1200 free if that makes you feel better. I can see why you feel hard done by though. Ask for your money back or refuse to spend it in protest..
Reply 4
hi im a student whose looking to do a degree apprenticeship at mmu and i was wondering if i would be allowed a metcard if i went please if you have any knowledge could you help me out
Original post by zfb234
hi im a student whose looking to do a degree apprenticeship at mmu and i was wondering if i would be allowed a metcard if i went please if you have any knowledge could you help me out

Hi,

Students on Degree Apprenticeships also get a met card when they enrol. You can find our more about the met card and how it works here.

I hope this helps :smile:

Rebecca
Reply 6
Original post by Manchester Metropolitan University
Hi,

Students on Degree Apprenticeships also get a met card when they enrol. You can find our more about the met card and how it works here.

I hope this helps :smile:

Rebecca

Hi,

Thank you for replying so fast

Even though its not related to this thread could i ask you a question about the structure of the degree part of the degree apprenticeship. I was wondering if you know if there are exams and coursework and whether it is a full sized course or if it is a watered down version of a similar course.

I will hopefully be doing the digital and technology solutions degree apprenticeship course by the way.
Original post by zfb234
Hi,

Thank you for replying so fast

Even though its not related to this thread could i ask you a question about the structure of the degree part of the degree apprenticeship. I was wondering if you know if there are exams and coursework and whether it is a full sized course or if it is a watered down version of a similar course.

I will hopefully be doing the digital and technology solutions degree apprenticeship course by the way.

Hi,

Our Digital Technology Solutions degree apprenticeship is 4 years long - you will spend most of your time working full-time and spend up to 33 days per year attending University. You will normally attend University for one day per week, on a day release basis.

The degree is blended with the apprenticeship - you will have work based assessments and projects, and will be able to use evidence gained in the workplace for your assignments. The course is predominantly coursework based, with occasional exams.

You can browse detailed info on the course here.

Give us a shout if you have any more questions :smile:

Matt

Quick Reply

Latest