The Student Room Group

More than 2 genders - why?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AshEntropy
But I'm also species-fluid so now please refer to me as Arlo, the gender-non-conforming but somehow homosexual anthropomorphic arctic-fox-wolf hybrid.

[video="youtube;L8LIHZDfmFM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8LIHZDfmFM[/video]
Reply 21
Depends what you're referring to really, I normally follow the informal gender traits (feminine, masculine or androgynous) but I hate people who say "I'm gender fluid gender queer wolf-kin".

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edit: I don't mean their gender is androgynous/feminine/masculine, I just mean that's the traits they display.
If I had a Dollar for every gender there was I would have 2.
Given gender is a social construct there is room for the idea of there begin more than one Gender. It is a discussion which should not be shut down by silly insults.

Afterall there is a distinction between Gender (used with reference to social and cultural difference) and Sex (used with reference to biological differences).

And I say this as someone who is socially conservative.

If there is a case to be made, I would like to hear it. And I for one, will not ridicule them.
Original post by ThisIsReal
Given gender is a social construct

This is a belief held by a specific group of people, namely feminists. It is not accepted by anyone besides this group of people. So, it would be more accurate for you to write. "As a feminist I believe that gender is a social construct" and explain why you think its that way as apposed to writing it as if it were a truth accepted by everyone.

In original English language the word 'gender' refers to the state of being male or female. it is only recently that in feminised countries 'gender' has taken up a new definition referring to something that is "typically used with reference to social and cultural differences (between genders) rather than biological ones".

In affect the idea of gender being a social construct is a social construct in and of itself.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CookieButter
This is a belief held by a specific group of people, namely feminists. It is not accepted by anyone besides this group of people. So, it would be more accurate for you to write. "As a feminist I believe that gender is a social construct" and explain why you think its that way as apposed to writing it as if it were a truth accepted by everyone.

In original English language the word 'gender' refers to the state of being male or female. it is only recently that in feminised countries 'gender' has taken up a new definition referring to something that is "typically used with reference to social and cultural differences (between genders) rather than biological ones".

In affect the idea of gender being a social construct is a social construct in and of itself.

I'm sorry but you are wrong. In the English dictionary there is clear distinctions between Sex (biological) and gender (cultural and social).
Gender is the range of characteristics pertaining to, and differentiating between, masculinity and femininity.

I'm sorry but you are spouting nonsense. I am not a feminist, neither is this concept of gender held exclusively by feminists, but rather widely by scholars.

If you disagree that gender is a social construct, present your case. Please refrain form waffling about something to do with feminism. I have already stated I am socially conservative.

My intention to engage in discourse with those who support the idea that there are more than two genders.
I'm sorry but you are wrong. In the English dictionary there is clear distinctions between Sex (biological) and gender (cultural and social).

Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 16.31.39.png

To understand and appreciate what i wrote in my previous comment you have to understand the etymology of the word 'Gender', or its history in the English language.

The word 'Gender' originates from two words. Genus, a latin word, which refers to a specific class or kind of things and contrary to what you wrote in your comment, Genus is based on the biology of things. The second word is the french word 'Genre' which refers to a specific category of things. The old definition for 'Gender' in Websters 1828 (http://webstersdictionary1828.com/Dictionary/gender)...."a sex, male or female"...

Nowhere in the etymology of the word 'Gender' do you find a reference to cultrure or social constructs....It is only recently that the word gender has changed in feminised countries to include something which is "typically used with reference to social and cultural differences (between genders) rather than biological ones".

So, like I wrote in my previous comment, the idea of gender being a social construct is a social construct in and of itself.

I'm sorry but you are spouting nonsense. I am not a feminist, neither is this concept of gender held exclusively by feminists, but rather widely by scholars.

Try to back up your claims with references.

If you disagree that gender is a social construct, present your case.

I asked you to proove that gender is a social construct as you had implied in your comment. You reply by asking me to proove that it is not...

Logic entails that, if you make a claim the obligation is on you to provide sufficient evidence to support it. Asking your adversary to prove it doesn't exist doesn't quiet cut it as an argument for your case.

Please refrain form waffling about something to do with feminism. I have already stated I am socially conservative.

Regardless of being conservative you can still be a feminist or unwittingly influenced by feminist ideas.

I know its hard sometimes but try to 'refrain' from resorting to derogatory language. Try to address the issue with reason as apposed to insults. Calling something waffle or nonsense doesn't make it so until you prove it to be waffle and nonsense..Opinion is nothing more than just opinion.

My intention to engage in discourse with those who support the idea that there are more than two genders.

I could care less about your intentions. You made a claim that gender is a social construct and stated it as if it were a fact agreed upon by all. In my opinion which I have backed with evidence based on the etymology of the world I believe It is not. I made my point and that is all.

Have a good day.
(edited 7 years ago)

To understand and appreciate what i wrote in my previous comment you have to understand the etymology of the word 'Gender', or its history in the English language.

The word 'Gender' originates from two words. Genus, a latin word, which refers to a specific class or kind of things and contrary to what you wrote in your comment, Genus is based on the biology of things. The second word is the french word 'Genre' which refers to a specific type of things. The old definition for 'Gender' in Websters 1828 (http://webstersdictionary1828.com/Dictionary/gender)...."a sex, male or female"...

Nowhere in the etymology of the word 'Gender' do you find a reference to cultrure or social constructs....It is only recently that the word gender has changed in feminised countries to include something which is "typically used with reference to social and cultural differences (between genders) rather than biological ones".

So, like I wrote in my previous comment, the idea of gender being a social construct is a social construct in and of itself.

I asked you to proove that gender is a social construct as you had implied in your comment. You reply by asking me to proove that it is not...

Logic entails that, if you make a claim the obligation is on you to provide sufficient evidence to support it. Asking your adversary to prove it doesn't exist doesn't quiet cut it as an argument for your case.

Regardless of being conservative you can still be a feminist or unwittingly influenced by feminist ideas.

I know its hard sometimes but try to 'refrain' from resorting to derogatory language. Try to address the issue with reason as apposed to insults. Calling something waffle or nonsense doesn't make it so until you prove it to be waffle and nonsense..Opinion is nothing more than just opinion.

I could care less about your intentions. You made a claim that gender is a social construct and stated it as if it were a fact agreed upon by all. In my opinion which I have backed with evidence based on the etymology of the world I believe It is not. I made my point and that is all.

Have a good day.

You don't have to be an feminist to grasp the obvious fact that the societal roles and stereotypes associated with the sexes can and do vary between places, cultures and time periods, and if we didn't use the word 'gender' in reference to this idea, we'd just have to use a different word instead. The word itself is not important, it's the concept that matters.
Reply 28
Original post by Captain Haddock
You don't have to be an feminist to grasp the obvious fact that the societal roles and stereotypes associated with the sexes can and do vary between places, cultures and time periods, and if we didn't use the word 'gender' in reference to this idea, we'd just have to use a different word instead. The word itself is not important, it's the concept that matters.

Look up the study surrounding brenda/Bruce Reimer.
Gender isn't a social, its biological.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fractite
Recently, I've been seeing a lot of things concerning 'Don't assume my gender' or 'I identify as ...'
From what I understand, you have males and females (with the very rare exception of intersex chromosome combinations like XXY etc.) and you can be transgender if you change your gender physically (and not necessarily by just saying so), but I think people are getting confused with biological gender and gender roles.. or so I think.

Another thing I don't understand is how people say that you can be genderless as a gender. Logically, that doesn't make sense. That's like saying that atheism is a religion.

I need some light on this topic as I don't understand how people are suddenly coming up with 'Oh I'm now this gender that isn't male or female'. It just doesn't make sense.

There are only two sexes. Male and female.

Gender on the other hand is a complex subject. It's more about identity and some might identify as strictly cisgender (like me) whereas others may identify as a bit of both and some as none. Think of it as a social construct.

That's all there is to it really. Just be respectful and refer to people how they want.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ZacLaw
Look up the study surrounding brenda/Bruce Reimer.
Gender isn't a social, its biological.
Posted from TSR Mobile

So a woman living in the Songhai Empire in 1492 would play an identical social role to that of a female Alaskan Eskimo from 1000 BC because they have the same genitals?

The word 'Gender' originates from two words. Genus, a latin word, which refers to a specific class or kind of things and contrary to what you wrote in your comment, Genus is based on the biology of things. The second word is the french word 'Genre' which refers to a specific category of things. The old definition for 'Gender' in Websters 1828 (http://webstersdictionary1828.com/Dictionary/gender)...."a sex, male or female"...

Have a good day.

I'm sorry but it is nonsensical that you would assert that I am a feminist. I am sorry you cannot see that. I don;t find it to be derogatory either, but I guess that is a matter of opinion.

Further, I think it is hardly derogatory that I ask you to refrain from waffling about an unrelated matter in your response, as it is for you to refrain from using derogatory language in mine!

I am under no such obligation to present a case of why gender is a social construct. If it is indeed an assertion, it is for you to tell me why I am wrong. Which exactly is what you have attempted to do and here i my response:

Taking into account and 'appreciating' what you have written:

Gender as it is understood in the contemporary English language is a social construct, which I believe you have tacitly conceded to. Though thank you for talking about the origin of the word and how it has changed over time. Though I don;t think there is much use in defining words you believe are closely linked to / or the root of the word 'Gender', if it is not in fact the word 'Gender' as it is understood now.

And to be honest I am not surprised the word 'Genus' makes reference to biology. As biology is an important characteristic of gender, as it is understood now, but not the sole determinate of (as is sex).

Now I would like to go back to my response to the OPs original question:

If there is a case to be made, I would like to hear it. And I for one, will not ridicule them.
Reply 32
Not hunting... Being natural caregivers... Weaker than men emotionally and physically... Seems good to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
So a woman living in the Songhai Empire in 1492 would play an identical social role to that of a female Alaskan Eskimo from 1000 BC because they have the same genitals?

Also if you're asking this question, you clearly didn't read the study.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ZacLaw
Also if you're asking this question, you clearly didn't read the study.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm familiar with the story, thanks. Maybe citing the World Health Organisation's definition will help clear things up:

""Gender" refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviours, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for men and women."

The Reimer case concerns gender identity, which usually, but not always, correlates to one's biological sex, and to varying degrees. 'Gender' as a whole encompasses the social expectations put on each sex. That's literally the definition.
:tea:

People being offended by this, is even funnier than people being offended by not being called the right gender.
You don't have to be an feminist to grasp the obvious fact that the societal roles and stereotypes associated with the sexes can and do vary between places, cultures and time periods,

Not to the point where the variation renders the distinct nature of genders obsolete, which is the point that is being argued here. Not many people know that the ideology, the driving force behind this entire argument of gender is feminist 'Gender Theory'.

and if we didn't use the word 'gender' in reference to this idea, we'd just have to use a different word instead. The word itself is not important, it's the concept that matters.

The word 'Gender' is central to their argument. You are often told that people confuse the word 'sex' with the word 'gender'. That the word 'gender' refers to a 'social construct' affected by culture amongst other things. That is of course not true as evidenced by my previous reply. it is based on feminist theory that gender 'is a social construct' otherwise in the English language the word 'Gender' very distinctly refers to sex, a male or female.

I agree it is indeed the concept that matters. The concept is taken from feminist 'gender theory' and it should be argued under that umbrella. It is not a universal concept as such it should not be argued as something that is universally accepted as a fact.

I'm sorry but it is nonsensical that you would assert that I am a feminist. I am sorry you cannot see that. I don;t find it to be derogatory either, but I guess that is a matter of opinion.

I did not 'assert' that you are necessarily a feminist. You could be influenced by feminist ideas even unknowingly so.

Further, I think it is hardly derogatory that I ask you to refrain from waffling about an unrelated matter in your response, as it is for you to refrain from using derogatory language in mine!

I explained how it was relevant to your comment. I will explain once more. You made a claim that gender is a social construct and stated it as if it were a fact agreed upon by all. In my opinion which I have backed up with evidence based on the etymology of the world I believe It is not. I hope that this will help put things into context for you. Additionally, I did not resort to any derogatory language. So, I have no idea what you are referring to here.

I am under no such obligation to present a case of why gender is a social construct.

In which case you are not being logical.

In epistemology the concept of logical debate lays the obligation of proof on the person making the claim. I could not care less whether or not you feel obliged to present a case for your argument. I am here to show that your argument, your claim is illogical and I have achieved that to a certain extent.

You claimed that gender is a social construct. Whether you know it or not this belief is based on feminist 'Gender Theory'. it is not a universally accepted belief. Secondly, you claimed that there is a distinct difference between the words 'gender' and 'sex' and that sex was based on biology whilst gender was not. I showed you that that was wrong. In fact both words are similar and both based on the biology of people.

Taking into account and 'appreciating' what you have written. Gender as it is understood in the contemporary English language is a social construct

So, you are agreeing with me that the idea of gender being a social constuct is a social construct in and of itself. As in, the definition of the word gender has been changed to suit a certain social agenda and is not necessarily true. So it cannot be stated as a universally accepted fact as you did in your first comment.

Though thank you for talking about the origin of the word and how it has changed over time. Though I don;t think there is much use in defining words you believe are closely linked to / or the root of the word 'Gender', if it is not in fact the word 'Gender' as it is understood now.

The word gender has not changed. It remains the same except in those places/books where it is influenced by feminism. For example the websters deintion for the word 'Gender' remains the same to this day as that which refers to 'a sex, male or female'. Secondly, The origins of a word tell a story here. A story of gender politics and bias. Thirdly, it negates the argument that you often hear in this debate that people like me who argue against the 'other genders' confuse the words 'gender' with 'sex'. These two words remain as a reference to distinct groups based on their biology. It is only the feminist definition that renders the word gender different to sex and this belief is not universal.

And to be honest I am not surprised the word 'Genus' makes reference to biology. As biology is an important characteristic of gender, as it is understood now, but not the sole determinate of (as is sex).

OK, so you have changed your mind about Sex being biological and Gender being distinctly cultural and social (and not biological). Good.

The biology of human development is divided into two categories, nurture and nature. It is the sole determinant of both gender and sex.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JohnGreek
I don't think that anyone is offended by this - they're just dismissive of it

Trust me, they are. It's hilarious. :rofl: :rofl:
Reply 38
Ego thing for some reason they cant/wont identify with their actual gender so they redefine gender as a mental abstraction so that they can claim they are the opposite or even invent their own.

Its a sensitive topic even on the net so leave them to it.
Not to the point where the variation renders the distinct nature of genders obsolete, which is the point that is being argued here. Not many people know that the ideology, the driving force behind this entire argument of gender is feminist 'Gender Theory'.

The word 'Gender' is central to their argument. You are often told that people confuse the word 'sex' with the word 'gender'. That the word 'gender' refers to a 'social construct' affected by culture amongst other things. That is of course not true as evidenced by my previous reply. it is based on feminist theory that gender 'is a social construct' otherwise in the English language the word 'Gender' very distinctly refers to sex, a male or female.

I agree it is indeed the concept that matters. The concept is taken from feminist 'gender theory' and it should be argued under that umbrella. It is not a universal concept as such it should not be argued as something that is universally accepted as a fact.

I did not 'assert' that you are necessarily a feminist. You could be influenced by feminist ideas even unknowingly so.

I explained how it was relevant to your comment. I will explain once more. You made a claim that gender is a social construct and stated it as if it were a fact agreed upon by all. In my opinion which I have backed up with evidence based on the etymology of the world I believe It is not. I hope that this will help put things into context for you. Additionally, I did not resort to any derogatory language. So, I have no idea what you are referring to here.

In which case you are not being logical.

In epistemology the concept of logical debate lays the obligation of proof on the person making the claim. I could not care less whether or not you feel obliged to present a case for your argument. I am here to show that your argument, your claim is illogical and I have achieved that to a certain extent.

You claimed that gender is a social construct. Whether you know it or not this belief is based on feminist 'Gender Theory'. it is not a universally accepted belief. Secondly, you claimed that there is a distinct difference between the words 'gender' and 'sex' and that sex was based on biology whilst gender was not. I showed you that that was wrong. In fact both words are similar and both based on the biology of people.

So, you are agreeing with me that the idea of gender being a social constuct is a social construct in and of itself. As in, the definition of the word gender has been changed to suit a certain social agenda and is not necessarily true. So it cannot be stated as a universally accepted fact as you did in your first comment.

The word gender has not changed. It remains the same except in those places/books where it is influenced by feminism. For example the websters deintion for the word 'Gender' remains the same to this day as that which refers to 'a sex, male or female'. Secondly, The origins of a word tell a story here. A story of gender politics and bias. Thirdly, it negates the argument that you often hear in this debate that people like me who argue against the 'other genders' confuse the words 'gender' with 'sex'. These two words remain as a reference to distinct groups based on their biology. It is only the feminist definition that renders the word gender different to sex and this belief is not universal.

OK, so you have changed your mind about Sex being biological and Gender being distinctly cultural and social (and not biological). Good.

The biology of human development is divided into two categories, nurture and nature. It is the sole determinant of both gender and sex.

'In epistemology the concept of logical debate lays the obligation of proof on the person making the claim'.

This in itself is a claim. According to yourself, If I disagree with you, you are obligated to prove this claim, without the need for me to provide a counter narrative as to why I disagree; to which you can respond to.

To suggest that it is illogical to not feel obligated - I disagree. Yet it is a claim you have made - prove it.

'OK, so you have changed your mind about Sex being biological and Gender being distinctly cultural and social (and not biological). Good'

Nope I have not changed my mind. I accept that one's biological reality has social and cultural consequences (but not the other way round). However, I argued that it is not a sole determinant by definition.

'So, you are agreeing with me that the idea of gender being a social construct is a social construct in and of itself. As in, the definition of the word gender has been changed to suit a certain social agenda and is not necessarily true. So it cannot be stated as a universally accepted fact as you did in your first comment'.

I will finish with this, which I believe is the main point of contention. It has become apparent to me that we have been discussing two slightly different things.

When I say 'gender' is a social construct, I do not refer to sex , male or female. Rather, I refer to the definition of gender from the oxford dictionary (as you say is understood by the 'feminised countries', which by definition has social and cultural connotations.

Your argument is that the word 'gender' has been hijacked and twisted to represent a meaning which is contrary to its origin.

To make an analogy:

Imagine if an apple as we know it, is not not how an apple should look like, but rather the word 'apple' has been twisted in its meaning.

However, an apple as we know it still exists.

You have already stated that gender as we know it to mean in accordance with the oxford English dictionary, is widely accepted by 'feminised countries' (am I right to assume the UK falls under that bracket?)

So you have come here and said, gender is not a social construct. With gender referring to sex, male and female. Yet this is not what is being said. In fact you should rephrase your claim to refer specifically to the meaning of gender.

I,e. The meaning of gender does not imply that it is a social construct.

I am happy to concede also Cookie, that my statement should have been rephrased along the lines of:

Characteristics pertaining to masculinity and femininity are socially constructed.

(I know you may ask me to PROVE IT - so I will just add to that, because they are not biological but related to certain types of behaviors).

I realize this is quite messy to read. I don't know how to divide the quotes like you have done.

I think that is a reasonable summation.

Still, I am looking for answers - If there is a case to be made about made than two genders I am willing to hear it. Now 'appreciating' the discussion I have had with Cookie - Please clarify whether you are making reference to sex, male or female OR characteristics pertaining to masculinity and femininity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending