The Student Room Group

My parents found out I don't wear my hijab and kicked me out of the house

My whole life I've hated having to wear a hijab since I was born and raised in Sweden. Every single person who came within 10 meters of me had to look at me like I'm an alien. I didn't want that on university so I stopped wearing it (also because I secretly switched to atheism). But somebody who apparently really hates me told my parents about it, and they called me just now and said I'm no longer their daughter. They told me that I cannot return home this summer or ever. I'm desperate.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you should show them your japanese love pillow
im on anon because i dont want shade and want to keep my opinions personal but i guess if it was behind their back they are allowed to feel portrayed. I have a friend who took the headscarf off but spoke with their parents FIRST. naturally if it was all behind their back they have a right to do what they did. if i raised my kid a certain way then had him/her throw it all away i would be gutted but yet again i woouldnt kick them out...

i feel the fact they kicked you out was a bit extra...

tbh my mums niece and my cousins live in sweden and wear headscarfs with 0 issues alhamdulillah.

may i ask where your family is from?
Original post by Anonymous
im on anon because i dont want shade and want to keep my opinions personal but i guess if it was behind their back they are allowed to feel portrayed. I have a friend who took the headscarf off but spoke with their parents FIRST. naturally if it was all behind their back they have a right to do what they did. if i raised my kid a certain way then had him/her throw it all away i would be gutted but yet again i woouldnt kick them out...

tbh my mums niece and my cousins live in sweden and wear headscarfs with 0 issues alhamdulillah.

Why would you force your child to live his life how you want it? That's completely selfish.
Well, you will burn in hell because you are no longer Muslim.:wink:

She can't burn in a place that isn't real :wink:
But I thought Hijab was a choice? Where are all the muslims on TSR who say that women are not forced to wear Hijab? Yeah okay they're not technically forced but having to choose between homelessness and Hijab isn't really giving them a choice either. Imagine how taking off hijab would be a 100 times more threatening and hurtful in the middle east or some muslim country.

And bravo to one of the anons above, being passive aggressive and deciding if people are gonna go to hell or not. But I thought only Allah can judge??

Original post by topkekmaximum
My whole life I've hated having to wear a hijab since I was born and raised in Sweden. Every single person who came within 10 meters of me had to look at me like I'm an alien. I didn't want that on university so I stopped wearing it (also because I secretly switched to atheism). But somebody who apparently really hates me told my parents about it, and they called me just now and said I'm no longer their daughter. They told me that I cannot return home this summer or ever. I'm desperate.

Honestly there isn't much you can do but to get a job and stay away from them. Hopefully they'll someday realize that what they've done was too harsh and they'll try and make things right with you. (though i wouldn't count on that because they seem very closed minded and backwards)
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi:yes:

The fact that you were forced to wear the hijab is just wrong. I personally love it and have been wearing it in England since year 5, having lived here all my life. My mum said to wear it for a week then i can choose to keep it or leave it. At this point my family were more cultural than religious. Of course my friends were curious but i explained them the purpose of a hijab how my mum explained it to me. Since then I've been wearing it, but its because my mum encouraged me not forced me. I actually started praying regularly before my mum and now we both pray as well as my sister. If you're being forced then you are naturally going to hate it and detest it. So no you do not have to wear it if you don't think you are ready, it is between you and Allah. Your parents wronged you to disowning you as it is pointless, what is a headscarf if you don't believe in it. That is merely for society. However, i would encourage you to research more about Islam then straight up accepting or denying it. Listen to a talk here and there, learn more about it. I hope the best for you and feel free to message me anytime if you need help. I sin too and I'm not perfect but I'd love to help. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you mean?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Who said it's simple? At times I'm a really dedicated muslim and other times I'm not as i don't give my religion priority. Honestly your responses to threads are annoying me so can i just ask you Josb what you have against Islam.
Reply 9
Original post by Josb
This is a troll thread but it baffles me that in each thread made by an ex-Muslim, you have Muslims who just advise to "research" about Islam and "watch preachers" as simple solutions of the problem(s) stated in the OP.

Because they cannot give clear, proper reasons and just refer them to the best brainwashers
bc i have no advice the only thing i can say is hope u get better
Sweden will have shelters for women I imagine you can go to and get help.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think the best advice to suggest here is talk to your University. They can advise you on alternative accommodation for the summer holidays where you may be able to stay at university and receive some support of money for support now you've been cut off.

Talk to the SU, they will put you in touch with the right people. Sort yourself and then figure out how to move on with the relationship with parents (or lack of).

Whether your Muslim or catholic or atheist or whatever religion you are - your parents should never disown you, but some parents aren't great at being parents.
Original post by AshEntropy
Because they cannot give clear, proper reasons and just refer them to the best brainwashers

No its because if i suggest straight away reading the Quran, it is hard for people to understand, so it's easier when people ar explaining to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys this is troll. Why are you all so gullible :facepalm2:

(Starting point was I can't see someone getting kicked out for not wearing the hijab anymore, I've just never seen it happen. And secondly, just look at the username :lol:)
Why is the tsr full of these stories-? seems some people might be trolling as their all so similar! ODD!

Regardless of whether this is a troll thread, the advice you give there is quite naive. Many Muslims know for a fact that they would never be able to speak to their parents about leaving Islam/taking off hijab without being disowned, kicked out or even physically abused and murdered. So for many, doing it behind their parents' back is the only option. It actually says a lot more about the parents if they hold their beliefs to be more important than their children.
Original post by 786STAR786
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi:yes:

The fact that you were forced to wear the hijab is just wrong. I personally love it and have been wearing it in England since year 5, having lived here all my life. My mum said to wear it for a week then i can choose to keep it or leave it. At this point my family were more cultural than religious. Of course my friends were curious but i explained them the purpose of a hijab how my mum explained it to me. Since then I've been wearing it, but its because my mum encouraged me not forced me. I actually started praying regularly before my mum and now we both pray as well as my sister. If you're being forced then you are naturally going to hate it and detest it. So no you do not have to wear it if you don't think you are ready, it is between you and Allah. Your parents wronged you to disowning you as it is pointless, what is a headscarf if you don't believe in it. That is merely for society. However, i would encourage you to research more about Islam then straight up accepting or denying it. Listen to a talk here and there, learn more about it. I hope the best for you and feel free to message me anytime if you need help. I sin too and I'm not perfect but I'd love to help. :smile:

I have the same situation and i dont know if i should run away, tell the school what they are doing to me and hopefully get help or even better be allowed to live with another relative. I knwo for a fact that my parents will never let me leave without a beating. I need help urgently please im begging you
Original post by topkekmaximum

i don't believe they kicked you out... if they did then just wear it
Yh prob a troll if ur parents were that protective over u wearing a scarf they wouldn't kick u out on the streets

Latest

Trending

Trending