Turn on thread page Beta

Glad about cut in hours watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    SIDE NOTE: Well done Joy on your BMedSci with First Class Honours.

ReputationRep:
    Totally agree. I just don't think the changes ahead are going to achieve that.

ReputationRep:
    hey thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    Having a Dr working silly hours isn't really gonna help him/her learn much, nor is it gonna help patient care.
    define 'silly hours'. i think the present EU leg. doesn't give enough exposure for learning the same amount. how can it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    SIDE NOTE: Well done Joy on your BMedSci with First Class Honours.

Ooooh wow! Congratulations Joy!

Don't suppose you know how the other Notts medics I know did, do you?

ReputationRep:
    so, what's the max numb of hours of overtime we'll be allowed to have? i've heard that with overtime,some junior docs did make up to 30000 pounds per year! anyone has calculated the amt of money a junior doc will make working for the proposed 48 hrs(to be implemented in 2009 i think)? and what abt the foundation COURSE?? is it gonna be a COURSE in itself? i've read loads on it but what i can't grasp is whether the foundation years will consist of taught programmes on top of working hours???

ReputationRep:
    You wouldn't get into a plane where the pilot hadn't slept for two days, so why would you want a jounior doctor in the same condition anywhere near you?

Medicine isn't about the money, it's about the job so restrictions in overtime can only be a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    No wonder i wouldn't like getting into a plane where the pilot hasn't slept for 2 days but it's also true that i wouldn't like being the pilot if the remunerations aren't good enough! true, medicine isn't about money but if we stand by the european directives so well, perhaps it might be better if we are as well paid as our european colleagues. that's y i asked about the overtime pay stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Well, the European Directives aren't that silly really, not for France or Germany where there are plenty of doctors to go around.

More UK medics!

ReputationRep:
    ya that's absolutely true shiny! the european directives ain't silly at all...but i believe the UK gov't should have opted for a sort of transition period before signing it, the time for which more doctors could have been injected into the system and the MMC implemented fully. too many changes in such a short lapse of time isN'T really good both for the docs and the patients.

ReputationRep:
    Raise taxes!

ReputationRep:
    Nevermind raising taxes, cutting down on the red tape, and millions of seemingly unnecessary desk jobs would help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)
    Nevermind raising taxes, cutting down on the red tape, and millions of seemingly unnecessary desk jobs would help
    What are the bureaucratic nightmares?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)

Go Ms Abbott!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but can someone explain where all this red tape and stuff originates from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Yes, but can someone explain where all this red tape and stuff originates from?
    red tape dispensers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GraduateMedic)
    red tape dispensers?
    * shiny unplugs dispensers and saves the NHS billions *

ReputationRep:
    lol

It's true though - if less time was spent on paperwork regarding targets etc, it's likely waiting lists would actually improve without trying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Well, the European Directives aren't that silly really, not for France or Germany where there are plenty of doctors to go around.

More UK medics!
    That is incorrect actually. France and Germany have said that if they implement the hours restrictions their health service would fall apart so they intend to completely ignore the euro foolios.

ReputationRep:
    When I was in hospital earlier this year one of the nurses was about to connect my drip to the tube in my arm without flushing it first, so would have effectively pumped air into my veins... luckily my mum (who's a midwife) managed to stop her...

I think it was a case of her working too many hours tbh, she looked exhausted...

So imo I think the cut in hours is a good thing.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.