The Student Room Group

UCL Economics & Stats 2017 Entry Applicants

Scroll to see replies

I applied in november and didnt meet the grade requirements, i had extenuating
circumstances but they havent rejected me yet. Do uou think they've just not got round to my application as i expected a rejection tbh
Original post by HiggtyBiddy
I applied in november and didnt meet the grade requirements, i had extenuating
circumstances but they havent rejected me yet. Do uou think they've just not got round to my application as i expected a rejection tbh

Yeah, they probably haven't seen your application yet. They should give out all of their decisions by 31st of March, so in these few remaining weeks you might hear back.
Reply 22
Econs unconditional
A2 A*A*A*AA
Gsce 7 a*, A, B
Guys, I just want to warn you how much this degree made me suffer. My personal experience of it was horrible: no social life in this course, economics is badly taught in the department, not many options to choose from. By the end of the second year I didn't feel like having learned anything in economics. In the second year the stats assignments take 15 hours per week to solve, so everyone copies on each other and then the exams are too hard so they have to round up. It is ethnically unbalanced, small groups by countries tend to form. The department is in an old depressing building. The first year was very hard emotionally, whilst the second year was a burden academically. It destroyed me completely so I would strongly recommend not to go if you have the choice and you want to have a normal student life.
Reply 24
Original post by nadiamansei
Guys, I just want to warn you how much this degree made me suffer. My personal experience of it was horrible: no social life in this course, economics is badly taught in the department, not many options to choose from. By the end of the second year I didn't feel like having learned anything in economics. In the second year the stats assignments take 15 hours per week to solve, so everyone copies on each other and then the exams are too hard so they have to round up. It is ethnically unbalanced, small groups by countries tend to form. The department is in an old depressing building. The first year was very hard emotionally, whilst the second year was a burden academically. It destroyed me completely so I would strongly recommend not to go if you have the choice and you want to have a normal student life.

Oh
Great.....
Any suggestions to avert what you've expressed in hindsight? Aside from changing course?
Reply 25
Original post by nadiamansei

Thanks but you are a bit late

Your first hand experience is useful, but I am not put off, I am sure there are horror stories at all the top uni's

I did not apply to LSE because I heard similar stories and confirmed it during a Econ session there. But Most stories about UCL are positive

We know it is maths heavy, requiring an A*
Original post by Fbiemad
I got offers for both BSc Economics and BSc Economics and Statistics from UCL. My personal statement was written for an Economics application (I even stated I that I am applying for Economics in the end of my personal statement), so basically, they don't care that much about the Statistics being mentioned in your personal statement.

Firstly, it is hard to even mention topics about Statistics.
Secondly, top universities don't have this course combination, so almost everyone applying will be applying for Economics or Maths and Economics in some other university.

Try to just mention the word statistics or something related to statistics in your personal statement if you can, just in case. Since they ask you for Maths and Further Maths UMS for this course, they will probably look mainly on the UMS to see your strength in Statistics/Maths.

Hey :smile: I am also considering applying for the Economics and Statistics course but for 2018 entry. At what point in the application are you asked for your maths UMS? ( I didn’t see it on the website). Also, I don’t study Further Maths so I was wondering how this would affect my application? (my college does offer it though but I didn’t pick it because I had no idea what I wanted to study at university at the time. My GCSEs were very strong if that helps?)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by edwamblion
Hey :smile: I am also considering applying for the Economics and Statistics course but for 2018 entry. At what point in the application are you asked for your maths UMS? ( I didn’t see it on the website). Also, I don’t study Further Maths so I was wondering how this would affect my application? (my college does offer it though but I didn’t pick it because I had no idea what I wanted to study at university at the time. My GCSEs were very strong if that helps?)

It is ok if you don't have further maths. In their website it says the conditional offer is A*AA for people with Maths, and AAA for people with Maths and Further Maths. Therefore, not having Further Maths is not a disadvantage, but people who do Further Maths have a better chance to get an offer (assuming they have good grades though...), since they can show the university that their Maths and Statistics are strong. As long as you have good Maths UMSs, you shouldn't worry too much.

They will ask for your Maths (and Further Maths if anyone taking it) grades once you apply. Kind of early in the process I would say. When you apply, after a few days or weeks (dont remember exactly), they will send you a document where you have to fill it in with your Maths UMS grades.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Fbiemad
It is ok if you don't have further maths. In their website it says the conditional offer is A*AA for people with Maths, and AAA for people with Maths and Further Maths. Therefore, not having Further Maths is not a disadvantage, but people who do Further Maths have a better chance to get an offer (assuming they have good grades though...), since they can show the university that their Maths and Statistics are strong. As long as you have good Maths UMSs, you shouldn't worry too much.

They will ask for your Maths (and Further Maths if anyone taking it) grades once you apply. Kind of early in the process I would say. When you apply, after a few days or weeks (dont remember exactly), they will send you a document where you have to fill it in with your Maths UMS grades.

Good luck :smile:

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending