Student finance eligiblity help!!! Watch

masi0077
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi there,
I'm just kind of going through a lot of problems regarding the whole eligibility for student finance. So basically I'm currently a refugee and have been living in the UK for 4 years now. I'm also on a Gap year. Although I don't start uni until 2017 (and it's a little early to be worrying about student finance lol), I'm just worried I won't be eligible for it as my refugee visa/status ends in November 2017 which is AFTER the start of my course so here's the problem: I may not be eligible to apply for student finance because I won't have my refugee status for 3 MORE YEARS which is the SAME duration of time for my uni course which is also what SF want in order for me to qualify for student finance for all 3 years. BUT I would be eligible to apply for INDEFINITE LEAVE TO TO REMIAN 28 DAYS BEFORE my REFUGEE VISA EXPIRY. Which would then make me eligible for 3 years of support. BUT my uni course would have already started by then and I don't know if I would qualify for student finance that same year. I understand this is all very confusing but I'm just here trying to seek advice. And yes I have called SF TWICE and no they really weren't much help at least for me.

Thanks in advance.
P.s. I'm still classified as a refugee at the start of my course but again the refugee status/visa will expire in November so 2 months after the start of my course.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by masi0077)
Hi there,
I'm just kind of going through a lot of problems regarding the whole eligibility for student finance. So basically I'm currently a refugee and have been living in the UK for 4 years now. I'm also on a Gap year. Although I don't start uni until 2017 (and it's a little early to be worrying about student finance lol), I'm just worried I won't be eligible for it as my refugee visa/status ends in November 2017 which is AFTER the start of my course so here's the problem: I may not be eligible to apply for student finance because I won't have my refugee status for 3 MORE YEARS which is the SAME duration of time for my uni course which is also what SF want in order for me to qualify for student finance for all 3 years. BUT I would be eligible to apply for INDEFINITE LEAVE TO TO REMIAN 28 DAYS BEFORE my REFUGEE VISA EXPIRY. Which would then make me eligible for 3 years of support. BUT my uni course would have already started by then and I don't know if I would qualify for student finance that same year. I understand this is all very confusing but I'm just here trying to seek advice. And yes I have called SF TWICE and no they really weren't much help at least for me.

Thanks in advance.
P.s. I'm still classified as a refugee at the start of my course but again the refugee status/visa will expire in November so 2 months after the start of my course.
You need to meet the eligibility requirements before your course starts. So if you can only meet them after the course start, you will not be eligible for student finance for the whole of the degree.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (162)
58.91%
No I haven't decided yet (66)
24%
Yes but I might change my mind (47)
17.09%

Watched Threads