Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Here is a link to a political hot potato for Britain in Iran...

http://larkspirit.com/hungerstrikes/...ds_street.html

Should the Iranians change the name of the street? (Please note other streets around the world have the same/similiar names, e.g. in Le Mans where they do that mad 24-gour race thing!)

ReputationRep:
    We can't rename it to an Iranian name no?

Sorry but this poll is a bit flawed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    We can't rename it to an Iranian name no?

Sorry but this poll is a bit flawed.
    Would an Iranian name not be Ireland-neutral in your opinion..?! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)

Should the Iranians change the name of the street? (Please note other streets around the world have the same/similiar names, e.g. in Le Mans where they do that mad 24-gour race thing!)
    I think that the street should be left as is, as there are far more important issues in the world than the name of a street. I am sure that if people looked there could be many streets named after people who are seen as heroes to some and villains to others.

ReputationRep:
    Would an Iranian name not be Ireland-neutral in your opinion..?! :rolleyes:
    If you just said neutral I would have thought slightly differently. You know how it is with intepretation with the English language is, espcially over the net. One slightest of error in one word can put a whole different spin to future posts - as you know I soon found out

Yes there are more things to worry about but even street names might cause trouble. If it was truely an Irish name why don't they use Gaelic and the old alphabet (I think there was one) instead of 'English' ones?

As this has been discussed before English is the world language for practical purposes and for Irish people to even notice one street name like this is worrying. Don't they have better things to be doing with?

ReputationRep:
    "We in the nationalist community, who suffered under British rule, were delighted and proud when Tehran named the street beside the British embassy after Bobby Sands," he said.
    This is mischevious and is asking for trouble. In fact, I find it quite disgusting how they keep living in the past.

Many Iranians also have something of a soft spot for the hunger striker. For example, Vice President Mohamed Ali Abtahi -- a jovial and prominent reformist -- once told AFP he felt Sands was a "great man".
    Many Indians belive Gandhi was exceptionally great, many others have realised he wasn't as great as they made out.

Many Iranians will be come ill-educated over the Irish-British past relating to this, which I feel is seriously wrong. Then again, Hollywood movies have it in for the British always evil, you're taught that the Irish are angels in the USA (friend in NY told me), so yeah people just can't get over the fact that they were ruled by an imperialist power, which the world had never seen it her life before. But we could go on about this and end up repeating ourselves again and again. So I'm unlikely to respond to comments about this paragraph for this very reason.

ReputationRep:
    If you just said neutral I would have thought slightly differently.
    But then whatever could be totally neutral between Ireland, Britain and Iran?! I just meant that it wouldn't have anything to do with Ireland.

Yes there are more things to worry about but even street names might cause trouble. If it was truely an Irish name why don't they use Gaelic and the old alphabet (I think there was one) instead of 'English' ones?
    I think the name was put there to stand behind a worldwide cult figure in his personal struggle against the might of the British state. They did chose the street by the British embassy, afterall! From the picture it appears that all streets have their names in English and you'd want Thatcher's cronies to understand exactly what it said!

The Germans buried Frank Ryan in a grave with his name in Irish on it. A difficult juggling act, keep the SS happy whilst helping this Redder than red Irish Communist to fight the English (after they sprung him from jail in Spain). Funny really... This IRA officer was the commanding officer over all the English speaking soldiers which put him over all his ex-British army former foes!

As this has been discussed before English is the world language for practical purposes and for Irish people to even notice one street name like this is worrying. Don't they have better things to be doing with?
    ???

ReputationRep:
    This is mischevious and is asking for trouble. In fact, I find it quite disgusting how they keep living in the past.
    But it was contempory!

ReputationRep:
    But then whatever could be totally neutral between Ireland, Britain and Iran?! I just meant that it wouldn't have anything to do with Ireland.
    I would vote for an Iranian name (Persian). But it's up to them ultimately.

I think the name was put there to stand behind a worldwide cult figure in his personal struggle against the might of the British state. They did chose the street by the British embassy, afterall! From the picture it appears that all streets have their names in English and you'd want Thatcher's cronies to understand exactly what it said!
    Sure but I haven't heard of any other smiliar events like this. But we can all live in the past....

The Germans buried Frank Ryan in a grave with his name in Irish on it. A difficult juggling act, keep the SS happy whilst helping this Redder than red Irish Communist to fight the English (after they sprung him from jail in Spain). Funny really... This IRA officer was the commanding officer over all the English speaking soldiers which put him over all his ex-British army former foes!
    Didn't know that.

ReputationRep:

I should be up to the Iranians if they want to change it then they can but the British government or who ever it is shouldn't be pressuring them to do so. I mean why is it such a big deal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I should be up to the Iranians if they want to change it then they can but the British government or who ever it is shouldn't be pressuring them to do so. I mean why is it such a big deal?
    Have some rep for that one!

ReputationRep:
    If you wanted some information on trade and industry in the Pays de la Loire region, may I suggest contacting:

Marcel VICTORRI
    Membre associé
    Président Directeur Général
    JOUAN SA
    Rue Bobby Sands
    44800 SAINT-HERBLAIN

Hmmmm... Mr Victory on Bobby Sands Road...

I looked on Google and it appears that there are scores of cities which have streets named after him and many more after other 1981 hunger strikers...

It should make you think... If these people were "terrorists" and "criminals", would all these places honour them? I can't see "Fred West Street", "Harold Shipman Close", Myra Hindley Drive", Ian Huntley Gardens", etc popping up everywhere.

Please understand that the British propaganda machine which tries its hardest to convince you that "Ulster is British" and crap like that is just that - a partisan propaganda machine designed to delude you...

I think Churchill held the right attitude towards the Irish, but Cornwall had it par excellence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggles)
    I think Churchill held the right attitude towards the Irish, but Cornwall had it par excellence.
    So why did it not work? For every man Lord Cornwall had hung, fifty more became commited to the cause of Irish Independence...

Anyway - General Humbert kicked some serious English soldier ass back then, if I'm not mistaken and our first republic, The Republic of Connacht under John Moore was established.

I must disagree most strongly with your sentiments.

ReputationRep:
    I thought I saw the above post yesterday and not 2 hours ago. Hope you're not deleting the post and re-entering it just to keep the thread 'alive', Pol

ReputationRep:
    I thought I saw the above post yesterday and not 2 hours ago. Hope you're not deleting the post and re-entering it just to keep the thread 'alive', Pol
    Proof!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Proof!
    How did you do that?

ReputationRep:
    Proof!
    I feel that, more so than my other threads, this one is important. It's not a talking shop. It's a thread for people to look at and reflect on. Maybe you come to the conclusion that I am wrong. Maybe not. Either way you get to see that Britain is an island in more ways than one.

The French burned down your embassy during the 1981 hunger strike. They bombed your businesses over there. Your embassy was attacked in the US, in Iran and many other places. The Iranians offered your government the insult of naming the street opposite the embassy Bobby Sands Street so your ambassadors could see every day the evil actions their government carried out against the Irish. People should understand this.

Are the British the smartest, most educated and philosophical people in the world? Do they have an inherent right to turn around and say "everyone else around the world supports the right of the IRA to fight the British Establishment, but they are all wrong"...? I doubt it.

People should at least take the time to stop and think. This thread should continue!

ReputationRep:
    How did you do that?
    Magic.

ReputationRep:
    Magic.
    I think you are an undercover mod...

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.