Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    The French burned down your embassy during the 1981 hunger strike. They bombed your businesses over there. Your embassy was attacked in the US, in Iran and many other places. The Iranians offered your government the insult of naming the street opposite the embassy Bobby Sands Street so your ambassadors could see every day the evil actions their government carried out against the Irish. People should understand this.
    What a pity it wasn't enough to start a war. Would be nice to crush the French just to show how weak they are. Changing a street name won't bother your average Briton in the street. The Iranians aren't really allies of the United Kingdom. Try changing a street name from English to Irish in Kuwait. I've not known any but if there has I wouldn't mind knowing.

This thread should continue!
    No, it should die soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    What a pity it wasn't enough to start a war. Would be nice to crush the French just to show how weak they are.
    Well, they offered military support as far as I remember (source either "Ten Men Dead" or "Bobby Sands and the Tragedy of Nothern Ireland", if I remember correctly) but the Free State turned them down.

Beat the French and the Irish combined..? Firstly you'd lose the six counties in no time, between the Free State which has operatives in the six counties and has always had contingencies to recover the territory, the IRA who know the lay of the land better than anyone, and the might of the French who would be welcomed into Ireland...

What would England do..? Start a nuclear war over fishing rights and be assured that they'd both lose and that their own explosions would polute their homeland as well as distroying the area they are trying to claim..?

I feel you are being a little bit silly and more than a little bit evil if you really want to see a war occur. Who is the racist one now..?

ReputationRep:
    Beat the French and the Irish combined..? Firstly you'd lose the six counties in no time, between the Free State which has operatives in the six counties and has always had contingencies to recover the territory, the IRA who know the lay of the land better than anyone, and the might of the French who would be welcomed into Ireland...
    Well you can have France to join you will we have our ally then.

What would England do..? Start a nuclear war over fishing rights and be assured that they'd both lose and that their own explosions would polute their homeland as well as distroying the area they are trying to claim..?
    Why is it England all of a sudden? Who says the war was over Northern Ireland? I said the United Kingdom. I never said a nuclear war.

I feel you are being a little bit silly and more than a little bit evil if you really want to see a war occur. Who is the racist one now..?
    How is what I have said racist? I'll ask around to check if it though I doubt it. I am not the one going on about how thick the Irish have been and certain comments about Dubliners......

Are you going to attempt to keep this thread 'alive' too?

ReputationRep:
    I feel you are being a little bit silly and more than a little bit evil if you really want to see a war occur.
    I'm not allowed to be silly?! :confused: Surely you have been at times on here, I've seen you do so

ReputationRep:
    Here is a link to a political hot potato for Britain in Iran...

http://larkspirit.com/hungerstrikes/...ds_street.html

Should the Iranians change the name of the street? (Please note other streets around the world have the same/similiar names, e.g. in Le Mans where they do that mad 24-gour race thing!)
    Do you have any clues about what we have done to iran throughout history?

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody actually care??

ReputationRep:
    Well you can have France to join you will we have our ally then.
    You think America could fight Ireland? Don't be silly! Would all the Irish-American people be happy with that? Would they then re-elect the President who did it? Would they not just assasinate him?

Anyway... They didn't back you up right away in either world war and were neutral over the Malvinas conflict back in 82 or whenever it was...

Why is it England all of a sudden? Who says the war was over Northern Ireland? I said the United Kingdom. I never said a nuclear war.
    The senario was what would happen if the Free State accepted military aid to reunite the nation. England could not defeat the French (I doubt a long term conflict could be won by either side i.e. if one tried to "take over" the other). It should also be stressed that they sure as hell couldn't keep the six counties against the IRA, the Free State Army and the French. It's a totally different set-up to France trying to march on London...

How is what I have said racist? I'll ask around to check if it though I doubt it. I am not the one going on about how thick the Irish have been and certain comments about Dubliners......
    You said you wanted to fight the French because you wanted to put them in their place and show "how weak they are". I don't like Dubliners. Nor do I like people from London. People from rural South Armagh are nicer and, I'd guess, so are people from rural England. It's an anti-townie thing not a racist thing.

Are you going to attempt to keep this thread 'alive' too?
    I thought this was the thread in question...?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    Do you have any clues about what we have done to iran throughout history?
    Some pretty nasty stuff... It's what the English Administration has been like in every corner of the world they decided to "civilise".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toyosi)
    Does anybody actually care??
    I hope so. It's a sorry state of affairs if not...

ReputationRep:
    You think America could fight Ireland? Don't be silly! Would all the Irish-American people be happy with that? Would they then re-elect the President who did it? Would they not just assasinate him?
    I never stressed the USA. We have other allies who can crush France. One of them have already have done so, just like England/Great Britain/the United Kingdom did. Don't think that the USA will always protect you. The United Kingdom has better relations with the USA than Ireland will ever have. There are more American voters who are more interested than the United Kingdom than Ireland these days. If you disagree that's fine, but I know plenty of Americans who can confirm what I said.

The senario was what would happen if the Free State accepted military aid to reunite the nation. England could not defeat the French (I doubt a long term conflict could be won by either side i.e. if one tried to "take over" the other). It should also be stressed that they sure as hell couldn't keep the six counties against the IRA, the Free State Army and the French. It's a totally different set-up to France trying to march on London...
    Why would the French get involved with Ireland for anyway? The United Kingdom can defeat the French and we've had a chance to take over them before. The 'superpowers' of the EU are the United Kingdom and Germany, France is not even considered on the same league. Ask vienna95 if you wish. I don't know how Northern Ireland got even considered I implied Republic of Ireland and France alone. The French are only interested in their own affairs - look at them with the EU.

You said you wanted to fight the French because you wanted to put them in their place and show "how weak they are".
    Show me how that is racist. I can't see anything discriminant about it.

I don't like Dubliners. Nor do I like people from London. People from rural South Armagh are nicer and, I'd guess, so are people from rural England. It's an anti-townie thing not a racist thing.
    The French are no way a force that they once were, fact. It's not racist. Just as bad considering the generalisations made tarring with everyone in question with the same brush, which you have done with both Dublin and London.

Tell me why you don't like Londoners so much then.

Don't take my comments too personal btw

Would be nice to see Weejimmie in this thread too.

ReputationRep:
    Thread closed.

Anyone who is wanting a reason can pm me (Adhsur)

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.