The Student Room Group

Third years/penultimate years and grads. What should I be doing to secure a grad sche

Currently coming to the end of my first semester and I've just been focusing on fitting in. What would you recommend I should be doing to make my CV stand out and be more likely to secure a grad scheme? I'm working part time, but only as a kitchen porter and I currently hold a position as a treasurer of a society. I'm hoping to go into retail banking, risk, tax or even human resources. Working in the Public sector is also of interest as well.

May seem like a silly question, but I don't really have any family members to talk about this sort of thing.

Thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)
You're doing a lot better than most first years. You're the treasurer of a society. My advice would be to get as much exposure as u can into ur chosen field. Also take part in any Volunteering schemes, part time jobs etc. You'll have something to refer back to, when ur answering competency questions. Focus on ur grades, make sure that ur getting at least 2.1. Internship providers will ask to see ur first year grades. You didn't mention what society u ran, but if it's not too popular, try to run for a position in a popular societies ( ONLY if it interests you.)
You mentioned ur interested in retail banking, risk. Apply to spring weeks, most of the deadlines are in January. I think only Goldman Sachs has passed. This will help when it comes to applying for summer internships. Go to insight days, network sessions. There's no one better to ask for pointers than those who r working in ur desired field.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
How about volunteering events at your university? Those are good to put on your CV. As you mentioned you are a treasurer of your society, that's also a good thing to put on there.

If you are in your first year, I would say continue working part time and perhaps do a summer internship if possible.
I'm a final year student who has secured a tax grad role for 2017, so hopefully this is helpful.

First of all, well done on thinking about this already, this attitude will definitely help you in the coming years!

Being treasurer of a society and having a part time job are fantastic things to put on your CV, especially if you know how to make the most of them. Consider the required skills you need for the roles you are interested in securing and then see how your current roles have allowed you to develop those skills. Many people show their suitability for the job by showing their ability to apply skills they've learned elsewhere to a new role/sector.

In terms of uni itself, I don't know what you're studying so I can't give you detailed advice, but focus on making sure you are on track for at least a 2:1. The phrase "first year doesn't count" is only applicable to degree classifications, but it DOES count when trying to secure internships and grad jobs. It almost counts even more than your final year, because most people are applying for grad roles before they have any final year grades, so they are being considered based off of the first 2/3 years of uni.

Look for any and all opportunities in the field you're interested in. Don't just wait for an opportunity to be advertised, go to networking evenings at your uni and chat to people at firms you might want to work for. Ask if they have any opportunities for first years, and if not, ask if they would be willing to allow you to shadow them in their job role. Send speculative applications off to smaller firms, or ask to shadow them too. Make use of any career mentors you may have at your uni.

If you don't already have LinkedIn, GET YOURSELF ON LINKEDIN. If you don't have anyone to connect with yet, a good first port of call is to begin connecting with student recruitment officers in the companies you want to work for. That way you can ask them questions and show your interest. I have a few connections in the areas you've mentioned that may be of interest, so you can PM me for details if you'd like.
Reply 4
Are you a first year? It's great that you're thinking about this in advance.

Firstly, concentrate of getting a good degree classification. A lot of students don't take the 1st year seriously because it 'doesn't count' toward your final grade but it does go onto your transcript and it does give you the knowledge and practice for how to succeed in your 2nd and 3rd year. It is obvious to see who got into these good habits early!

Take advantage of all of the opportunities at university to improve your skills and experience outside of the lecture hall. There is so much available at university so you can really take your pick of what interests you and it is easy to get involved. Societies, sports clubs, volunteering opportunities all work wonders for developing soft skills in teamwork, perseverance, confidence, organisation, etc. And it gives you so much to talk about on application forms and in interviews. Everyone you are 'competing' against for grad jobs is in university and will have a strong academic record... what makes you different? What makes you interesting? What skills do you have that Joe Bloggs doesn't? Job applications also aren't a science... the manager wants to know that you are a person that they will enjoy working with, that you have a personality!

Take full advantage of your careers department. They often run workshops of interview skills, CV writing, practice for assessment days etc, but this will be more relevant in your 3rd year. They also often run schemes with local employers on work experience, shadowing, getting a mentor etc. These are great! Especially get an in-industry mentor! They can help immensely with giving you an insiders view and also potentially help you with job applications, advice on how you should plan your career trajectory, and possibly putting you in touch with other people that can help you!

Quick Reply

Latest