The Student Room Group

PGCE History (Archaeology Degree)

Hi!

Does anybody have experience/knowledge of getting onto a PGCE History course with a non-history degree?

I got a 2.1 in Archaeology & Ancient History, and I'm working in Japan as an Assistant Language Teacher in Junior High Schools. With this experience, I've decided I'd really like to become a teacher. I don't think I can apply for 2017 entry because I am in Japan until March/April and I don't have any UK teaching experience (yet).

Obviously, my degree is in the field of History but honestly I didn't take any modules relevant the National Curriculum.

I believe Chester and Manchester Met accept archaeology but I don't think they would want to take me over a straight history graduate! Is there any way around this other than trying to take a Histoey masters degree?

Thanks!
I would apply and see how you get on. You have experience and some history in your degree which will go in your favour.

You could always do a postgraduate history degree presently or if you find it is vital after applying to history pgce courses. PgCert/PgDip/MA history courses are probably possible to take with a UK university online whilst living in Japan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending