Turn on thread page Beta

ringbinders, notebooks etc, how do you organise your notes/work?? watch

ReputationRep:
    hey!! Ive always used those loose leaf notebooks with the holes punched along the edges for notetaking, then organised them into ringbinders,
    i was just wondering if theres a better way of doing it for uni?? :confused: any advice?? how do you deal with lectures and notetaking etc?? thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma18)
    hey!! Ive always used those loose leaf notebooks with the holes punched along the edges for notetaking, then organised them into ringbinders,
    i was just wondering if theres a better way of doing it for uni?? :confused: any advice?? how do you deal with lectures and notetaking etc?? thanks!!

This is pretty much how things are done; sometimes if the lecture is fast paced you write down sketch notes and fill them out a bit with some information from notes provided for you.

Often we have the projector/powerpoint slides released to us before the lectures on the network, so we print those off in "Notes" format, and so it gives us spaces to write down things.

ReputationRep:
    I had all my lecture notes and seminars sheets put on the network, so I just printed them before each lecture and ended up with a ready made manual for each module.

Obviously had to take some notes aswell, but not many.

ReputationRep:
    'organise'?

*picks up dictionary*

I think I've realised where I've been going wrong all these years....

Seriously though, your system of ring binders and what not seem fine, fairly simple which will ensure that your notes don't get mixed up!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone use a recorder and record everything the lecturer says, listen to it later on and make notes from it? Does it work, because I always think that it would record people talking, phones ringing etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneezyme)
    Does anyone use a recorder and record everything the lecturer says, listen to it later on and make notes from it? Does it work, because I always think that it would record people talking, phones ringing etc.
    Bought one for the start of last academic year and got fed up with it - not just that you risk sitting back in the lecture doing nothing and relying on the tape - not wise.

Don't bother with it is my general advise.

ReputationRep:
    I had three seperate units in my course. Sooo, a binder for each subjet was suffice for 1st year plus lab book for practical science, also had a few cardborad kinda folder and plastic folder for handing in coursework - dont think u need much else.

ReputationRep:
    just go with what feels right for you...if you found something worked during a level you can make it work during your degree.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    Bought one for the start of last academic year and got fed up with it - not just that you risk sitting back in the lecture doing nothing and relying on the tape - not wise.

Don't bother with it is my general advise.
    Ok then, thanks very much for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    just go with what feels right for you...if you found something worked during a level you can make it work during your degree.

love Katy ***
    Erm as I did no work for my A levels, does that mean i wont have to work at uni?? lol!

(Original post by sneezyme)
    Ok then, thanks very much for that.
    Dammit, and that was the only reason i bought an iPod, I was going to record every lecture ever!! lol!

ReputationRep:
    I took notes on a4 paper then transfered them to those big ringbinders one for each subject. It prevented me getting my notes mixed up and didnt take long to do each week.

Also you might find that if you have been writing too fast in the lecture that you need to copy up your notes. I recomment doing them the same night as trying to figure out what you have wrote some summer and exam time is not easy from a lecture that was in the first term!

ReputationRep:
    I just stick it all in those cheap card folder things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    I just stick it all in those cheap card folder things
    Those are great! I don't use them for notes but all the other paperwork that normally clutters up my room. I seem to have around 50 folders for things like ucas letters, bank letters, letters from uni etc.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your responses!!! sorry i havent posted at all! ive been on holiday!!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2004

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.