Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey

So, yesterday I had a doctors appointment and a lot has happened since then which I really wasn't expecting to happen! I went with the view to open up about how my mental health has been since starting uni (not great).

Basically, I started off telling her that I wasn't sleeping, not eating much and have no motivation to go to lectures, I haven't started revision for my exams and stuff, not really expecting to be taken seriosuly, but she took it VERY seriously.

She sent me out of the room and I had to wait for her, but I didn't know why. When I came back in 20 mins later she told me she had put in an emergency referal to the CMHT and that they would see me tomorrow and put me in contact with the ED team at the same time, which is rediculous because I'm not even that underweight or anything.

Then she sent me to the hospital to have bloods done and faxed them over as urgent as well as telling me to come back for an ECG today which I went to.

So yeah, I'm basically messing up my life more than I ever thought possible. My lecturer for one of my modules wants to see me tomorrow, I have a meeting with my mentor which I have to go to and see my academic advisor next week and I'm terrifed that along with the referal to CMHT they're going to tell me I'm not fit to be at university or something like that?

This honestly can't happen. Like really really really can't happen but I'm terrifies that this will be the outcome.

Arghhhhh what do I do?!?!
Anonymous #2
Report 4 years ago
Hey
You're not messing up your life! Sometimes (as anxious as it can be) we need to sit back and let people do their job. Everyone around you sounds like they are trying to help you fight your mental state and having this support is a sign of people caring You're not alone in this. Your uni won't dismiss you, they will want to put support in place so you can flourish at uni. I know it's proper stressful and anxious right now but it will get better. You'll have a different outlook once you've had a talk with your lecturer and your GP so try not to worry what may or may not happen (I know that's hard to do). I'd suggest talking to someone you can trust and have a good chat to get everything off your chest. Hang in there lovely and I really hope your mental health improves for you
Little Popcorns
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Tbh I think the way she reacted was in a way which addresses all the possible problems and she's acting to prevent missing any physical cause of your problems. Don't worry! It's great that she's acted so quickly in getting you referred for everything count yourself lucky!
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey

So, yesterday I had a doctors appointment and a lot has happened since then which I really wasn't expecting to happen! I went with the view to open up about how my mental health has been since starting uni (not great).

Basically, I started off telling her that I wasn't sleeping, not eating much and have no motivation to go to lectures, I haven't started revision for my exams and stuff, not really expecting to be taken seriosuly, but she took it VERY seriously.

She sent me out of the room and I had to wait for her, but I didn't know why. When I came back in 20 mins later she told me she had put in an emergency referal to the CMHT and that they would see me tomorrow and put me in contact with the ED team at the same time, which is rediculous because I'm not even that underweight or anything.

Then she sent me to the hospital to have bloods done and faxed them over as urgent as well as telling me to come back for an ECG today which I went to.

So yeah, I'm basically messing up my life more than I ever thought possible. My lecturer for one of my modules wants to see me tomorrow, I have a meeting with my mentor which I have to go to and see my academic advisor next week and I'm terrifed that along with the referal to CMHT they're going to tell me I'm not fit to be at university or something like that?

This honestly can't happen. Like really really really can't happen but I'm terrifies that this will be the outcome.

Arghhhhh what do I do?!?!
Don't worry too much about it. I know it's been sudden and unexpected and I think anybody in your situation would be freaking out at least a bit, but there's no sense worrying about things that may not happen. You are being sent to people with experience and they should be able to judge pretty well how serious you are.
Thing is there's kinda a lack of middle zone between the normal months waiting for a referal and emergency, so all this really means is that she thought it was more urgent than usual and you shouldn't be waiting too long.
Not eating can be a warning sign even if you aren't underweigh cos you can run out of nutrients etc so a bunch of this testing will just be to make sure you aren't in a dangerous situation. A lot of people won't be totally honest about how bad their mh is so they need to go through all this if they suspect anything so they can know you're okay.

If you are not too serious you'll just go back to the normal level and be advised to see certian people or refered to places etc. If they do think you are more serious or at risk then they may say you should take time out of uni, but if they do it will be because it is a good option. They aren't going to tear you out of uni and section you or something just cos you're kinda in bad shape. They won't want to alter your life too much if they don't have to.

It seems all scary and out of your control, but that's cos it was unexpected. You should find it a lot better when you have your appointment. It's better to be taken a bit too seriously than ignored and this is a good thing, even if it's scary.

Btw you can talk to your unis student support or your lecturers and let them know you have some health issues going on right now and could do with some support. And if your uni appointments are going to be too stressful or get in the way of these referals you can always call and ask if it's possible to move them a bit.
Anonymous #1
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it!

I went for my assessment today and the lady I saw didn't seem to take me very seriously and that she still needs to think about what support can be offered. She wants me to speak to uni first and see what they say which I understand but its just frustrating because I know things are just going to go more and more downhill. She is also going to speak to the ED service as well and see what they say but I know they won't see me because my weight is above their threshold but at the same time, I also know that if I keep on going like this it's just going to keep going down. Yet, part of me wants that. Part of me wants my weight to keep dropping because its the only way I know how to cope - yes, I was with CAMHS for 2 years but I still don't feel like I know how to cope when things get bad. If I haven't heard from them next week I honestly don't know what to do
Kindred
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it!

I went for my assessment today and the lady I saw didn't seem to take me very seriously and that she still needs to think about what support can be offered. She wants me to speak to uni first and see what they say which I understand but its just frustrating because I know things are just going to go more and more downhill. She is also going to speak to the ED service as well and see what they say but I know they won't see me because my weight is above their threshold but at the same time, I also know that if I keep on going like this it's just going to keep going down. Yet, part of me wants that. Part of me wants my weight to keep dropping because its the only way I know how to cope - yes, I was with CAMHS for 2 years but I still don't feel like I know how to cope when things get bad. If I haven't heard from them next week I honestly don't know what to do
If you ever don't know where to turn but feel like you need help you can call 111, talk to your student support at uni, call your doctor, call a service like samaritans or go to a walk in. If you feel like you are in need of urgent help you can call 111 or even 999 or go to A&E. Emergency includes MH emergency not just physical damage.

For now, talk to uni and wait for the call back. If it takes more than a week you can always call to check in on things.

I think you should probably look at some more therapy. I believe you can self-refer to "time to talk" which is an nhs therapy. You could call them now if you want since it has a bit of a long waiting time and it means you can see them that little bit earlier.

If you have a diagnosis you can also talk to uni about DSA. It can help you to access more support. You need medical evidence for it, but that shouldn't be a problem for you.

Do you have any family or friends you would feel comfortable talking to? They might be able to help you manage things while you wait for everything medical to happen.

Hang in there. I know it's hard but you are strong and you can make it through.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kindred)
If you ever don't know where to turn but feel like you need help you can call 111, talk to your student support at uni, call your doctor, call a service like samaritans or go to a walk in. If you feel like you are in need of urgent help you can call 111 or even 999 or go to A&E. Emergency includes MH emergency not just physical damage.

For now, talk to uni and wait for the call back. If it takes more than a week you can always call to check in on things.

I think you should probably look at some more therapy. I believe you can self-refer to "time to talk" which is an nhs therapy. You could call them now if you want since it has a bit of a long waiting time and it means you can see them that little bit earlier.

If you have a diagnosis you can also talk to uni about DSA. It can help you to access more support. You need medical evidence for it, but that shouldn't be a problem for you.

Do you have any family or friends you would feel comfortable talking to? They might be able to help you manage things while you wait for everything medical to happen.

Hang in there. I know it's hard but you are strong and you can make it through.
Thank you

I had a phone call from CMHT on Wednesday and the lady I spoke to had been to the ED team and they said they were both increasingly concerned They've phoned me every day this week almost and I've done nothing but be a complete arse to them!

My GP then phoned me and said she was really worried so I had to go in and see her (I've put this bit in a spoiler because it may be triggering to some people)

Spoiler:
Show

I hadn't left my bed in almost a week :/ Meaning that I hadn't eaten or drank anything... She threatened to send me to hospital for the night and called the CMHT then and there. I was told that I was dehydrated and that I had to go back to my flat and drink or else someone would be around to take me to hospital. 3 hours after my appointment my GP called again and I sobbed down the phone that I couldn't do it - this led to me being told that I was one day away from being sectioned. But the GP was amazing and stayed on the phone with me until I had something to drink! I also told them about how bad my suicidal thoughts have been... I have to see the crisis team on Monday and then speak to the CPN.

I've now been given supplements and am on my final warning so to speak. I went to see the uni mental health advisor and he had been in contact with the CMHT and they both mentioned hospital if things don't pick up. He told me that the team from where I'm at uni have been in contact with the team from where I live because they don't think I'll last long at uni like this. But yeah, it's all been a huge wake up call for me! Like the biggest wake up call I think I've ever had - but now support is in place and stuff, hopefully things will start to improve.

I have 6 days until I'm home for three weeks so things have to pick up then or else my parents will know something is wrong and I don't want that (neither does my team either) :/
Kindred
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you

I had a phone call from CMHT on Wednesday and the lady I spoke to had been to the ED team and they said they were both increasingly concerned They've phoned me every day this week almost and I've done nothing but be a complete arse to them!

My GP then phoned me and said she was really worried so I had to go in and see her (I've put this bit in a spoiler because it may be triggering to some people)

Spoiler:
Show

I hadn't left my bed in almost a week :/ Meaning that I hadn't eaten or drank anything... She threatened to send me to hospital for the night and called the CMHT then and there. I was told that I was dehydrated and that I had to go back to my flat and drink or else someone would be around to take me to hospital. 3 hours after my appointment my GP called again and I sobbed down the phone that I couldn't do it - this led to me being told that I was one day away from being sectioned. But the GP was amazing and stayed on the phone with me until I had something to drink! I also told them about how bad my suicidal thoughts have been... I have to see the crisis team on Monday and then speak to the CPN.

I've now been given supplements and am on my final warning so to speak. I went to see the uni mental health advisor and he had been in contact with the CMHT and they both mentioned hospital if things don't pick up. He told me that the team from where I'm at uni have been in contact with the team from where I live because they don't think I'll last long at uni like this. But yeah, it's all been a huge wake up call for me! Like the biggest wake up call I think I've ever had - but now support is in place and stuff, hopefully things will start to improve.

I have 6 days until I'm home for three weeks so things have to pick up then or else my parents will know something is wrong and I don't want that (neither does my team either) :/

It's great that you have support now, even if it is a bit scary. It's also good that you're starting to be more open with them- try to keep that up.
Don't worry too much about being a bit of an arse. It's what people do when they are stressed and they will know that and be used to it. Just make sure you thank them and be nice when you can.

Good luck. Try your best to follow their advice and eat and drink. Is there any possibility you could go see somebody every day (like a uni support worker) just to give you some motivation to get out of bed for a while and eat and drink something? That or skype or call somebody or ask them to come over?
I find I'm a lot better when my bf motivates me.

No doubt you are feeling really confused and stressed at the moment and may feel pretty helpless, but you are doing really well. You are taking the right steps and are on the right track. Getting support and being honest with them is a big step and you are strong and brave for getting this far.

Do you have to go home for the week btw? Could you talk to the team about staying so you don't have to change scene and have the stress of trying to hide things from your family?

How are you doing right now anyway? Have you had a bit to eat and drink? Maybe you can bring a bottle and some snacks to your bed so if you really don't feel like getting out of bed you can at least have something.

Feel free to keep chatting to me or even pm me if you like.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (23)
71.88%
I don't have everything I need (9)
28.13%

Watched Threads