The Student Room Group

What's wrong with my foot? Can't walk properly

I slipped about 3 days ago and I may have sprained my foot. I could barely walk the next day (I could walk short distances but I would limp and feel pain in my foot). I called up a doctor and they said I should rest it for a couple of days.However, now, it has improved significantly and I can walk much more. But, I am still limping and I’ve found I can only move the front part of my foot up slightly. I can only raise my big toe by a slight amount (it can still bend downwards fine though), and therefore, when I'm walking it is at a very slow pace. Could this be a torn ligament or damaged nerve or something?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I slipped about 3 days ago and I may have sprained my foot. I could barely walk the next day (I could walk short distances but I would limp and feel pain in my foot). I called up a doctor and they said I should rest it for a couple of days.However, now, it has improved significantly and I can walk much more. But, I am still limping and I’ve found I can only move the front part of my foot up slightly. I can only raise my big toe by a slight amount (it can still bend downwards fine though), and therefore, when I'm walking it is at a very slow pace. Could this be a torn ligament or damaged nerve or something?

Rule #1 of TSR: We are (mostly) not doctors :tongue:

Call 111 if you're concerned about it, they can give you better medical advice than we can :smile:
Reply 2
I should probably mention that when it happened, it did hurt quite a lot but there's barely any pain now, just that the foot doesn't seem to be as flexible
Original post by Anonymous

A sprain can take anywhere from a week to 3 months or more to fully heal, depending on its severity. 3 days really isn't long enough to expect a full recovery. Give it a little more time, weight-bear as tolerated (i.e. don't do things that hurt it, and generally take it easy) and see your doctor if there doesn't seem to be an improvement. Minor sprains and strains are easily cared for at home using PRICE and it's unlikely that you've done anything as dramatic as nerve damage. If you'd actually 'torn' a ligament, as in torn it totally, you'd be in significant pain and unable to put any weight at all on it. It would also have swelled up like a balloon, so you don't need to worry about that, I don't think!
(edited 7 years ago)
no its probably just still healing, if you can move it much more than when you first slipped then your foot is definitely not getting worse
Reply 5
Ah ok, so do you guys think the lack of toe flexibility is due to the sprain? Should I basically just keep moving or try to move it as little as I can?

Quick Reply

Latest