Should sex/relationships education (SRE) and PSHE be compulsory in schools?

Watch
discobish
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Educational secretary Justine Greening is being pushed to make sex & relationships education and PSHE compulsary in schools, as failure to do so could have 'lifelong consequences' for pupils.

The story published today on TES elaborates on it further here.

This is something the community asked Justine about previously, when a video interview was conducted by a member of the TSR community, armed with a list of users' questions.

What are your thoughts on this?

Do you think SRE & PSHE should be made compulsory?

Do you feel you could have had better or more thorough sex ed at school?

Or maybe your school didn't even offer it?! :shock::shock::shock:

Let us know your thoughts!!
Toasticide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
my school do it compulsory style for every year.
My year are fine, every other year though have the odd teenage pregnancy, countless stupid dramas related to racism.

It has no effect unless u have a brain cell. dont know about everywhere else but for essex theres no point, there are too many idiots who dont listen to the lessons.

I myself found it very useful... even if 50% of it i will never find an application for but it got me to realise that everyone else was lying about their stages of puberty and "how big their penises are". plus some of it is useful in biology, and also i can tell others what ive learnt
username1208193
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The short answer is definitely yes.
Dodgypirate
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank God I went to a french school.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, but as always it should be age appropriate.

So start off with the basics of relationships and gradually teach about sex as the pupils get older.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
From my own personal experience sex ed in secondary school was utterly useless until year 11 where they bothered to teach some useful stuff about where to get the morning after pill and such, so somehow I'm not sure not having it as a compulsory thing will be as much of a totally abhorrent thing that people are making it out to be.

(Original post by SHallowvale)
Yes, but as always it should be age appropriate.

So start off with the basics of relationships and gradually teach about sex as the pupils get older.
So in other words have it as it is now where the kids are usually about 2 years ahead of what they're being taught?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads