The Student Room Group

help picking A-level subjects?!

This is my first post and I'm not entirely sure if I'm doing this right but oh well
so
I have to choose my A-level options and I'm 100% sure that I'm taking Maths and Economics-this leaves me with two more choices to make.
I'm absolutely torn between Geography,History and German for my last two slots and would really appreciate some opinions from anyone taking any of those subjects! I'm fairly good at all of them and at uni I want to do either an Ecominics or Law course so which would be most beneficial? Somebody please help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
history and german
Reply 2
A language is always good and history is a good subject for law
I know it's not something you've listed but have you considered Further Maths? I think it would be quite useful if you're going to do Economics at uni
Reply 4
Original post by dgkjhl
A language is always good and history is a good subject for law

thanks you! although aren't they both really difficult subjects?
Reply 5
Original post by Lucasta
history and german

thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by surina16
I know it's not something you've listed but have you considered Further Maths? I think it would be quite useful if you're going to do Economics at uni

I considered it but I think I want to keep my options a little bit more open,thank you though!
Reply 7
Original post by Elisha19
This is my first post and I'm not entirely sure if I'm doing this right but oh well
so
I have to choose my A-level options and I'm 100% sure that I'm taking Maths and Economics-this leaves me with two more choices to make.
I'm absolutely torn between Geography,History and German for my last two slots and would really appreciate some opinions from anyone taking any of those subjects! I'm fairly good at all of them and at uni I want to do either an Ecominics or Law course so which would be most beneficial? Somebody please help?

You've got two solid logical/numerical subjects, I would opt for History (well respected and traditional, and is good for law) and German would be great (helps in employment, the more languages the better!)
Also keep in mind History is very time consuming and can be overwhelming, I'm not sure how well it pairs up with maths. German can be tricky at A2 if you're not a native speaker, but if you put in work you should be fine
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Why not consider Accounting? I do Accounting, Economics & Maths which is a common combo and useful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you able to start off with 5 subjects if you can't decide? I know some people who couldn't decide on their last option so did 5 until they could work out which to then drop - would be a lot of work but i guess it's worth it as you would then be 100% confident in the subjects you keep.
Original post by MJ15
You've got two solid logical/numerical subjects, I would opt for History (well respected and traditional, and is good for law) and German would be great (helps in employment, the more languages the better!)
Also keep in mind History is very time consuming and can be overwhelming, I'm not sure how well it pairs up with maths. German can be tricky at A2 if you're not a native speaker, but if you put in work you should be fine

If I took German I would only take it for AS,so would this still be quite tricky? Because if so I may lean more towards Geography as I think it might be easier.....is it manageable?(I'm not a native German)
Original post by Trevish
Why not consider Accounting? I do Accounting, Economics & Maths which is a common combo and useful

Posted from TSR Mobile

I may consider doing Accounting although I feel as if that's something I don't have to worry about now as I know for sure I'm doing economics and maths-thanks though!
Original post by HarrietW98
Are you able to start off with 5 subjects if you can't decide? I know some people who couldn't decide on their last option so did 5 until they could work out which to then drop - would be a lot of work but i guess it's worth it as you would then be 100% confident in the subjects you keep.

I think that's a good idea but my school tend to discourage people from taking 5 subjects so it may be difficult, I'll look into it though thanks
I may consider doing Accounting although I feel as if that's something I don't have to worry about now as I know for sure I'm doing economics and maths-thanks though!

Okay.. If you don't do Accounting but planning to do that in Uni, you will have to do the foundation...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
If I took German I would only take it for AS,so would this still be quite tricky? Because if so I may lean more towards Geography as I think it might be easier.....is it manageable?(I'm not a native German)

AS german is quite manageable if you're not native, obviously it requires work but you can still do well. A2 German gets quite hard as its very advanced, you'll be reading novels and writing essays in high level German. Yet again, you would know your strengths, so it's up to you :biggrin:
History would probably be more beneficial for an Economics course.
I'm struggling with choosing my A-Levels too - really stressed! Think I'm going to take History, Sociology, English and French.
Good luck with your choosing!
Reply 16
so

As many people in above suggested, do History as it is very preferable for Law. As for the fourth, either do German (Languages are usually helpful) or Further Maths (Many Econ courses prefer applicants with FM to at least AS level) and drop it after AS if you wish to reduce your workload and focus on the remaining three.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trevish
Okay.. If you don't do Accounting but planning to do that in Uni, you will have to do the foundation...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah Im sorry, I thought you meant to do accounting as a course at uni! Unfortunately my school doesn't offer Accounting as an a-level subject):
Original post by student1412
History would probably be more beneficial for an Economics course.
I'm struggling with choosing my A-Levels too - really stressed! Think I'm going to take History, Sociology, English and French.
Good luck with your choosing!

Yeah I think I'm definitely taking history for AS and A2 now,thanks :smile: do you think I should do German for Geography for just AS?? I'd be dropping it after the year
Ah Im sorry, I thought you meant to do accounting as a course at uni! Unfortunately my school doesn't offer Accounting as an a-level subject):

Wow! I'm actually surprised about that lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest