lucyliulu
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm still a couple of years of university yet but I would really like to study veterinary medicine if I can get in. I'm also really interested in the veterinary physiotherapy and rehabilitation (especially the hydrotherapy aspect). If I qualified as a vet, would there be a vet jobs available that I could be apart of the rehabilitation or would I have to do a degree in veterinary physiotherapy in the first place.
loganley
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
for hydrotherapy, you do not need to be a vet or have any sort of degree. Physic/rehab is harder, it is an area I wanted to go in, but to become accredited you either have to be a human physio and do a conversion (most common), or yes, be a vet first. The degrees I've seen specifically in vet physio so far don't seem to have any accreditation. But I was looking specifically focused on dogs, it may be different if it's horses you are interested in. If you are generally interested in being a vet then obviously go for vet med, but if it's specifically hydro/physio you are interested in there are probably other routes which are easier!
SilverstarDJ
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lucyliulu)
I'm still a couple of years of university yet but I would really like to study veterinary medicine if I can get in. I'm also really interested in the veterinary physiotherapy and rehabilitation (especially the hydrotherapy aspect). If I qualified as a vet, would there be a vet jobs available that I could be apart of the rehabilitation or would I have to do a degree in veterinary physiotherapy in the first place.
As a vet you can't call yourself a vet physio without extra qualifications which you might need to end up paying for yourself (I know one vet who paid £3k+ to become an animal chiropractic, another vet learned how to do acupunture but work paid for most of this). Those are two quite different jobs that happen to involve animals - as a vet generally you are more in charge of assessing/diagnosing an animals rather than day to day rehab work although a vet degree is quite versatile and a good base for further study.

I believe you don't need to be a vet to become a vet physio either but I'm not sure what route you'd go down for this.

Perhaps work experience with a vet physio and at a practise might help you see different aspects of it.
lucyliulu
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by SilverstarDJ)
As a vet you can't call yourself a vet physio without extra qualifications which you might need to end up paying for yourself (I know one vet who paid £3k+ to become an animal chiropractic, another vet learned how to do acupunture but work paid for most of this). Those are two quite different jobs that happen to involve animals - as a vet generally you are more in charge of assessing/diagnosing an animals rather than day to day rehab work although a vet degree is quite versatile and a good base for further study.

I believe you don't need to be a vet to become a vet physio either but I'm not sure what route you'd go down for this.

Perhaps work experience with a vet physio and at a practise might help you see different aspects of it.
I think doing work experience at a veterinary physiotherapy practice will be good as I've done a lot of work experience in equine and small animal veterinary practice and I can compare them,
Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (33)
25%
No (99)
75%

Watched Threads