How much help do you get finding a placement?

Watch
ab987
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm looking at applying for a CS course with a year's placement. I was just wondering how everything works in terms of arranging it all.

I'm guessing they provide a list of the places to choose from, right? If they let you apply anywhere then surely you could end up at a place where you don't really do or learn anything of significance, which is no good for the student or the uni.

Also, how do you actually apply for a placement? Do you just email the company explaining your situation? Or is there some "official" process, like a website somewhere?

And what happens if you get rejected by everywhere?

Also, are placements generally done in the same area as the uni you're attending? Or is it not uncommon to go somewhere several hours away?
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
I did Computer Science with placement at City University.

With my university, we had an online portal where we had a list of all placements that were available for us to apply for. It had a link to the website where we could send in our application and there were pages and pages to choose from. O course you could also look elsewhere like ratemyplacement or milkround but a lot of the job postings on there were posted on our moodle.

Of course it is your decision on what role you want to do and at which company. They're only going to help you with your application and give you pointers on where to apply but the decision is ultimately yours.

There are 2 ways to apply:
  • Directly send in your CV/Cover letter to an email address
  • Application online and follow the steps. A lot of them will have screening questions such as why you want to work for them.

It depends on what company it is, but usually with larger companies they go through a more stringent recruitment process and this starts with an online application. They will usually tell you how to apply anyway.

If you get rejected, you apply for another role at another company (or the same company if they allow it). It's always good to have several applications in the pipeline as you may find it hard at first when you're new to the interview or assessment center stuff.

Placements can be anywhere in the UK, it depends on the location of the company's headquarters or where they decide to put you, but their location can be found on the website or on the job description. People do move away for placements though.

Hope this helped.
ab987
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by UWS)
I did Computer Science with placement at City University.

With my university, we had an online portal where we had a list of all placements that were available for us to apply for. It had a link to the website where we could send in our application and there were pages and pages to choose from. O course you could also look elsewhere like ratemyplacement or milkround but a lot of the job postings on there were posted on our moodle.

Of course it is your decision on what role you want to do and at which company. They're only going to help you with your application and give you pointers on where to apply but the decision is ultimately yours.

There are 2 ways to apply:
  • Directly send in your CV/Cover letter to an email address
  • Application online and follow the steps. A lot of them will have screening questions such as why you want to work for them.

It depends on what company it is, but usually with larger companies they go through a more stringent recruitment process and this starts with an online application. They will usually tell you how to apply anyway.

If you get rejected, you apply for another role at another company (or the same company if they allow it). It's always good to have several applications in the pipeline as you may find it hard at first when you're new to the interview or assessment center stuff.

Placements can be anywhere in the UK, it depends on the location of the company's headquarters or where they decide to put you, but their location can be found on the website or on the job description. People do move away for placements though.

Hope this helped.
Cheers, that's very helpful. How many placements were listed on the portal? Enough to accommodate every student?
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ab987)
Cheers, that's very helpful. How many placements were listed on the portal? Enough to accommodate every student?
Well keep in mind that the portal contains online job postings, which meant that they were sourced from various websites. It means that other students from other universities will also have access to those as well. Unfortunately there isn't enough for every student, some people will miss out so you need to do your best to try and make your CV/application stand out really well and totally smash the interviews.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (105)
34.43%
Yes - a trusted person (88)
28.85%
No (79)
25.9%
I'm not sure (33)
10.82%

Watched Threads