The Student Room Group

Is there a difference between Meng(hons) and Meng?

Some courses on UCAS don't have (hons) in the tittle. I thought honours was a representation of how well you've completed your uni course as in highest marks get first-class honours and lower and lower final marks would give you less valuable honours with the lowest being an ordinary degree of >40%. If a course on UCAS doesn't have (hons), does that mean that the degree from that course is less valuable then from the same course in another uni for which it does say (hons)?
Reply 1
Original post by Simeon_M
Some courses on UCAS don't have (hons) in the tittle. I thought honours was a representation of how well you've completed your uni course as in highest marks get first-class honours and lower and lower final marks would give you less valuable honours with the lowest being an ordinary degree of >40%. If a course on UCAS doesn't have (hons), does that mean that the degree from that course is less valuable then from the same course in another uni for which it does say (hons)?

No any MEng has honours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Simeon_M

Some universities use the undergrad marking and awards system for their MEng degrees (and maybe their other integrated masters degrees too), so hence the degree is awarded as an honours degree, using the standard undergrad grading system, e.g. first class honours, upper second class honours, etc.

However, some universities use the postgraduate system for their MEng degrees and hence award them as distinction, merit, pass, and not as an honours degree.

The difference doesn't matter, though. It's just convention.

Original post by jneill
No any MEng has honours.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not necessarily - mine doesn't, because it wasn't awarded as an honours degree. Although I think it's mainly in Scotland that MEng degrees are awarded without honours, using the pass/merit/distinction system.
Reply 3
Original post by Smack
Some universities use the undergrad marking and awards system for their MEng degrees (and maybe their other integrated masters degrees too), so hence the degree is awarded as an honours degree, using the standard undergrad grading system, e.g. first class honours, upper second class honours, etc.

However, some universities use the postgraduate system for their MEng degrees and hence award them as distinction, merit, pass, and not as an honours degree.

The difference doesn't matter, though. It's just convention.

Not necessarily - mine doesn't, because it wasn't awarded as an honours degree. Although I think it's mainly in Scotland that MEng degrees are awarded without honours, using the pass/merit/distinction system.

Ah yes, Scotland.... :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I always thought the hons bit was if you completed a thesis. like there were some people on my course who screwed up their theses and just got an ordinary degree without the honours. But that was a VERY long time ago!

Quick Reply

Latest