The Student Room Group

Sixth form and Anxiety/Depression

I'm currently in Year 13 and doing A-levels, but since around October I've been feeling mentally unwell and struggling to go to school. I've been referred to Cahms and been diagnosed with anxiety/panic attacks and depression. My attendance is quite low, around 70% but I do try and attend as much as possible when I can, I work hard when I can and I have potential (ABB during AS). Even though I may not be attending school as I should be, I do want to do well. Considering my attendance, is it likely my school will decide to kick me out? Or will they be a bit lenient

Posted from TSR Mobile
From my personal experience my school did everything they could to actually KEEP me in school and get me through my exams. I ended up repeating a year of a levels so didn't have the support of CAMHS in year 13 but my school was amazing!

In year 12 MY in school attendance was 47%, when I repeated the year my in class attendance was 39% and yet they still kept me and didn't threaten to kick me out at all. When I told them I wanted to drop out in year 13 they said they wouldn't let me because they knew how much doing well meant to me etc etc!

So, I highly doubt they will kick you out - after all, they want their students to do well and be healthy so they should pull out all the stops to try and help and support you as much as possible!
A friend of mine has struggled greatly with mental health - and they've not threatened to kick him out or said anything or the sort. In fact I think they're becoming more and more understanding and supportive.
Schools can do so so much if you're honest with them. I was in the same situation and they did everything they could to get me through and it worked. Now I'm on the other side as a teacher, and honesty will get you absolutely everything. Find a teacher you trust, they can't legally promise to keep what you say secret, but they'll definitely help you to access extra support.
Reply 4
I think it depends on your sixth form, but I was in a similar position and mine were so so supportive. My attendance dropped below 40% last year when I was in year 12, but instead of kicking me out, they worked with me to try and make my time there as easy as possible. I honestly recommend being honest with your sixth form, it's worth it!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest